Author Topic: gods design flaw  (Read 147 times)

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
gods design flaw
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:42:02 AM »
Even though i am not very knowledgeable on what is written in religious books, I see some big issues with religion outside of any books.

One thing that I simply cannot understand is how a god can set the rules for religion to be all about faith but then gives us the incredible brain that we have.

It is in our nature to question, to learn, to try and understand. This really does not go well with having blind faith.
He must know we would "find out" about dinosaurs and that the world is actually billions of years old.
He must know that we would get to a point where we know enough to discredit all the alleged "facts" in any holy book.
If god created us then he must know exactly how the brain he designed is going to work.
He must therfore know that a book of stories is just not going to be enough especially as time goes by and we develop and learn more and more.
So, if faith is a requirement for god then is our brain a design flaw?
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +472/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: gods design flaw
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:58:40 AM »
A couple of quotes from Mark Twain - I'm sure Star Stuff will have given these:

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true."
"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

As the Enlightenment occurred, it became increasingly difficulty to "have faith" because of the first quote. During the First and Second World Wars, the news media began, for the first time, to be able to describe, in detail, with immediacy and to millions, how bad people could be to each other and, from 1945 onward, the world found itself populated by people who abhorred the savagery and inequality that had been preached by our elders and betters and refused to accept that there were gods who had control over our lives - we realised that mankind controlled his own destiny and that of others.

Prior to the Enlightenment, there were few answers to the big questions other than "God-did-it." and the brain, thus misled and under-informed, was the perfect vessel in which to hold "faith". We needed explanations and absent the real answer, anything would do.

you ask,
The question is the wrong way round. For me, it should be, "Now that  the brain has real information available to it, why do people still believe in gods?"

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »
you ask,
The question is the wrong way round. For me, it should be, "Now that  the brain has real information available to it, why do people still believe in gods?"
Yes, I absolutely agree with you.
From my (atheist) point of view the original question is nonsense but in the world of religion I see it as a valid point to raise.
Thanks for the quotes Graybeard, I do enjoy the daily quotes from star stuff.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
Ive tried that argument JUK...

the problem is that Christianity has set up some fail safes just for that moment... "lean not on thine understanding" being the most used one. Also they are taught that questioning is a sin so the deeper in bedded are literally too afraid to consider that they may be wrong, or they may burn in hell. They really put in shit to stop people from thinking; which makes sense because rational thought is the death of religion. 

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
Ive tried that argument JUK...

the problem is that Christianity has set up some fail safes just for that moment... "lean not on thine understanding" being the most used one. Also they are taught that questioning is a sin so the deeper in bedded are literally too afraid to consider that they may be wrong, or they may burn in hell. They really put in shit to stop people from thinking; which makes sense because rational thought is the death of religion.

Thanks for the reply, I think star stuff made a good quote a few days ago that helps sum it up-
Open bible/closed mind. Enough said.