Author Topic: Are women more prone to religion belief?  (Read 253 times)

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
Are women more prone to religion belief?
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
I have noticed women, especially older women are more prone to beliefs in God and the supernatural.

That's why those astrology magazines are "chick crack".

Have you noticed this too? I think the same part of the brain that make them a good target for marketing (think fashion industry) is operating when they accept a religious belief.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline RED_ApeTHEIST

• Student
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Hyperintelligent Orangutan
Re: Are women more prone to religion belief?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
Your information appears anecdotal and extremely vague. Can you provide context for your observations and definitions of your terms? (example: In what geographical area did you see this as being the case and how would you define "older"?)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:17:05 PM by RED_ApeTHEIST »
The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." - Terry Pratchet

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
I'd need a lot more than anecdotes to agree, Lectus. The traits that promote false-pattern recognition and credulousness, AFAIK, aren't gender-dependent. If that were so, how do you account for men being readily taken in by religious ideas?

A more likely reason for the preponderance of older female believers you've noticed is that organized religion as a whole is declining. The young folks aren't going to church anymore; it's mostly the older believers who have that behavior deeply ingrained.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:18:12 PM »
Your information appears anecdotal and extremely subjective. Can you provide context for your observations and definitions of your terms? (example: In what geographical area did you see this as being the case and how would you define "older"?)

Just take a look in any church and the majority of people there are women, usually women above 40 years old.

Also notice that most "miracles" in churches happen with women, because their minds are more emotional and easily lead by the preacher.

This isn't a statistic study, obviously. I'm sure there must be some. But it's just a personal observation.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
The young Earthers that I debate with, either known to me or on FB, contain a greater proportion of men than women. From what I've seen men are just as likely to accept belief in a god or gods without any evidence. The men are more likely to defend their belief by trying to use science while the women tend to cite 'feelings' of god. The women are also better able to keep their cool than the men I debate with.

As a contrast, my eleven year old daughter found Darkmatter's atheist cartoons on YouTube without any prompting from me (I don't use her laptop, my YouTube history has never been on there). She'll tell you she doesn't have a belief in gods, then explain why you shouldn't either. I'm a proud dad!
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
I'd add to the list of "more prone to religion" also:
* Poor people with less education
* People with religion background in family
* People in some kind of suffering and seeking a relief

Simply because these people are more easily manipulated to think they found the solution to their problems.

In my country this is very evident and easy to see.

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:33:57 PM »
http://www.livescience.com/7689-women-religious-men.html

"Lastly, Gallup argued, "More so than men, women lean toward an empirical [depending on experience or observation] rather than a rational basis for faith."

And I could add my personal opinion,that religious women are more naive,gullible,easily swayed and trusting of authority figures (men),than men tend to be and don't want to risk not going to "heaven".

I tend to agree with your opinion Lectus.
IMO alot of men believe in God, as for the most part,the bible gives them the POWER over thier woman and children and it works to feed thier egos to believe in something that offers them sanctioned control.

'Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.'

A great example of that is the Polygamist cult.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:51:11 PM by Truth Junkie »

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
Just take a look in any church and the majority of people there are women, usually women above 40 years old.

"Any" church? Be careful about making such generalizations. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to find a church, or even a cluster of them, that had predominately male congregations.

Also notice that most "miracles" in churches happen with women, because their minds are more emotional and easily lead by the preacher.

Well, I doubt there are few exclusively male churches, so that at least some women were present when a "miracle" occurred wouldn't be too significant. Again, too much generalizing and stereotyping. A quick search turns up some references that suggest that while the genders' brains respond differently to emotional stress, there's a significant behavioral component as well:
http://www.livescience.com/4085-emotional-wiring-men-women.html
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19980520132438data_trunc_sys.shtml

This isn't a statistic study, obviously. I'm sure there must be some. But it's just a personal observation.

Glad you made that clear. And it appears there's some evidence that supports your position. But there's also research that suggests a more complex, nuanced reality.

I'd add to the list of "more prone to religion" also:
* Poor people with less education
* People with religion background in family
* People in some kind of suffering and seeking a relief

Simply because these people are more easily manipulated to think they found the solution to their problems.

In my country this is very evident and easy to see.

No argument there. Community and stressful situations are big contributors to religious belief.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »
A couple of links somewhat relevant to the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_religion

It can be argued that women are more comfortable expressing their feelings than men so a social setting such as a church is appealing to them.  Thinking back to various churches I have attended there were more older women than older men but, as I recall history, is because many of them were widows.

As always,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »
^^^Yo, that you, Boris?

From the academic studies of religiosity, women do tend to have more connections to religion than men. But I don't think it is because women are "more emotional" or "more easily swayed". It has more to do with things like women traditionally having fewer life opportunities to achieve recognition (at least god loves and values you), women traditionally having less control over their lives, having less education and money, and religion giving women outlets that their societies denied them.

If the only books you are allowed to read are religious texts, if the only way you can avoid an early marriage to some local jerk is to "commit yourself to the lord", if the only place you can go outside of the home and escape heavy household chores for a few hours is to the church, and if the main chances to do important work in your community are by linking up with religious organizations, it should not surprise us that women make up the majority of the practicing members in many religious groups worldwide. Especially in poor, traditional communities.

We can test this idea. When other opportunities open up for women, we would expect to see less religious participation. And we do. As income and education levels rise in a society generally, as women become educated, as women postpone early marriage and have fewer children, as they [we?] enter the professions and gain their own independence, we see less commitment to religion. In countries like Norway, Iceland and Sweden where women have achieved near equality to men, there are the lowest rates of religiosity among women.

Just think about how the world looks to an illiterate woman in Haiti, married at 14, living in  shanty town, struggling to raise 5 or 6 children on a dollar a day--with almost no job skills. She is going to grab onto every bit of escape, power, hope and possibility that Vodun or Catholicism (or more recently, evangelical born-again Protestantism) can offer her.

In these societies, women are also far more often "possessed" by the  gods during ceremonies than men. While possessed, people are allowed behavior that they would never be able to get away with in everyday life. They get to do things (like smoke and drink, because the god wants it) and say things (like give unwanted advice or curse someone out) with the blessing of the community. Interesting, verdad?  I saw women possessed at every ceremony, and cannot recall a single possessed man. I once heard about a boy getting possessed for a while and not being able to attend school. Hmmm.   :-\

The lower you are on the social, economic and political scale, the more you need that old-time religion. In the US that means women, black people, latinos, and rural white folks will be more fundy than wealthy white educated men.[1] Basically, social inequality leads to more religion among both men and women. People are more likely to be religious if they have less power over their lives. Power to the people!  :D
 1. Remember how much trouble Obama got in for saying this? http://www.opednews.com/articles/They-Still-Cling-to-Guns-a-by-Mary-Shaw-130217-47.html
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
I tend to agree with Lectus and his “marketing theory” and with NoGodsForMe and her “position of women in society” theory. However, at the risk of being attacked for political incorrectness, I would say that it goes further than that.

If we take Chimpanzees and see how the phrase “alpha male” springs to mind, we will have an idea of where, in the pecking order the alpha female is -> one down and to the side.

If we look at human society throughout the world, we see the dominant role of the male. It is almost as if the female is genetically programmed (i) to obey perceived authority and support an established hierarchy and/or (ii) is less prone to establishing her dominance through physical force.

The system is as good as most: the male requires his genetic material to be passed on but at the same time is conditioned to provide for those off-spring. He can’t be away hunting and gathering berries and look after children and his greater stamina and aggression are better suited to the former. The woman then is left to care for the children (genetic heirs) with whom she has formed an unbelievably strong bond through childbirth.

This partnership has led us to be the greatest animals that have ever lived on this planet.

We can protest that men and women should be equal, but we find ourselves in a tiny minority. Lip-service is paid to the idea in many Western societies but, in reality, statistics tend to work against any significant progress.

So, to address
I have noticed women, especially older women are more prone to beliefs in God and the supernatural.
The idea that they are in church is directly related to their view of authority – the greatest is God; the idea of the rest of the supernatural is probably the desire to stay alive in the face of adversity to continue to protect and nurture their off-spring.

A male will probably see Religion as a way to authority and power. This is why the prophets and YECs are mainly male – they are the ones who become obsessed; they are the ones who use what “knowledge” they gain to rise in the hierarchy of power.

Testosterone and oestrogen have a lot to do with it.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »
Gotta call you on that, GB. Only patriarchal societies have patriarchs. Many traditional cultures were matriarchal, worshiped female fertility and put goddesses and other powerful female figures in charge.

I am thinking of African, native American, Pacific Island and many pre-Christian Middle Eastern and European pagan societies. There was no power to be gained by being more or less religious than others, and no need to try to change anyone else's religion. In those cultures, there was not a separate "religion" that people had. It was just the way the world was.

If modern female religiosity in certain cultures was due to male dominance in human evolution, we would not find so many historical exceptions in the world.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.