Author Topic: Signatures.  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Signatures.
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
Does this forum allow Image based signatures?

Just wondering.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Signatures.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:17:05 PM »
I think it does. Try it but if it works, try not to have it so huge.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
Of course.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »
Does this forum allow Image based signatures?

Just wondering.

Broadly speaking?  No.  In the Forum Rules., under Profiles.

•Signature images must be of a reasonable size and content so as not to disrupt the flow of the posts, such as no larger vertically than ~60 pixels - some leeway is allowed. Signature text should follow all other rules of the forum.
•Animation and content of these images must not violate any other rule and not distract from the main purpose of the forum - reading text. No business advertising is allowed in any form anywhere in your profile or posts. The staff will be the final judge on these determinations.

I've been to forums where there are no restrictions on signature images.  You'll regularly get pages where three quarters of a thread is images, and very little is actual content.  This is a discussion forum, first and foremost - hence the rule that they must "not distract from the main purpose of the forum - reading text".
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »
I actually find A&A's avatar itself kind of distracting and annoying. I always have to scroll down to where I can't see it when I'm reading. That's probably just me, though. I wouldn't, however, advise throwing more extraneous "decoration" into the posts. Especially if they are going to move.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Daww, but isnt she cute?  :'(

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
<snip>That's probably just me, though.

it's not.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
No.

I'm taking it that you are not a brony?  ;D

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
No.

what has a changeling got to do with bronies?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »
No.

This is why I tend to not reply to you directly.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
This is why I tend to not reply to you directly.

Grapes, lemons.

Ponies, people.

Some people enjoy other aesthetic choices...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
No.

Is that what that is? I thought it was a dark green penis with eyes. Eh.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »
No.

-Nam

what the hell did you think it was doing to the screen?

Actually don't answer that.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
No.

-Nam

what the hell did you think it was doing to the screen?

Actually don't answer that.

Not the first animated penis with eyes I've seen.

-Nam

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
I initially saw it (just out of the corner of my eye, and not really paying attention) as a kid jumping up from his desk & waving his hand in the air in an "oh...pick MEEEEE" gesture.

Then realized it was a pony, which was a little bit more annoying.

Didn't notice it was licking the screen until Angus mentioned it at some point, and for some reason that's when it started to strike me as kind of creepy in addition. Not that there's anything inherently creepy about a pony licking something, I guess...but it does, just, really get on my nerves.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »

-Nam

Nam, that is simply golden...

I think you cured cancer or something with the laughter i did from that comment XD.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
I initially saw it (just out of the corner of my eye, and not really paying attention) as a kid jumping up from his desk & waving his hand in the air in an "oh...pick MEEEEE" gesture.

Didn't notice it was licking the screen until Angus mentioned it at some point, and for some reason that's when it started to strike me as kind of creepy in addition. Not that there's anything inherently creepy about a pony licking something, I guess...but it does, just, really get on my nerves.

I second that emotion. I am too old for weird things popping up on the edge of my computer screen. We have enough to deal with having Nam around.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »

I second that emotion. I am too old for weird things popping up on the edge of my computer screen. We have enough to deal with having Nam around.

I would take offense to that but, eh, too lazy.

;)

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

;)

-Nam
Your interpretation of Angus' avatar would send Dr. Rorschach screaming from the room. And while some penises are animated, all have an eye. Dark green ones, however,  should be avoided.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »

;)

-Nam
Your interpretation of Angus' avatar would send Dr. Rorschach screaming from the room. And while some penises are animated, all have an eye. Dark green ones, however,  should be avoided.

You do realize I was kidding, right? I thought of the stupidest thing to say for levity, and said that. That's what I do. I do that in public. I'm at a store, or a gas station, anywhere. I make people laugh at the most nonsensical things. Been like this since I was a teenager.

I do it here, a lot. Tell me that wasn't funny?

;)

-Nam

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »

Not sure too many of them have EARS, though...That could be...interesting.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »
We have requested that members avoid images in signature blocks because the forum software doesn't always deal with them properly. Sometimes the type and quality of the image can cause the forum threads to become "stuck" or turn into gibberish. Not all forum software is made alike, and certainly on this forum not all updates have been processed. We constantly live on a precipice.

Also, images in signature blocks have the added quality of making the threads unreadable on certain devices with small screens or with no alternative browsers. If you are viewing the forum on a small device or one that is not necessarily well-equipped to handle lots of images, the reading experience becomes tedious to impossible. Some devices will "drag" tremendously when one attempts to scroll a thread. I think the forum software is designed to kill avatars when the target screen is under a certain size, but it won't kill images in signatures.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »
I have decided not to use an image.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 12:48:22 AM »
We have requested that members avoid images in signature blocks because the forum software doesn't always deal with them properly. Sometimes the type and quality of the image can cause the forum threads to become "stuck" or turn into gibberish. Not all forum software is made alike, and certainly on this forum not all updates have been processed. We constantly live on a precipice.

Also, images in signature blocks have the added quality of making the threads unreadable on certain devices with small screens or with no alternative browsers. If you are viewing the forum on a small device or one that is not necessarily well-equipped to handle lots of images, the reading experience becomes tedious to impossible. Some devices will "drag" tremendously when one attempts to scroll a thread. I think the forum software is designed to kill avatars when the target screen is under a certain size, but it won't kill images in signatures.

Speaking from experience, SMF is FAR from the best software, I personally prefer, and recommend phpBB, it takes some getting used to, but I find it's generally a more pleasant experience.

On the topic of A&A's Avvy, it doesn't bother me, images generally don't distract me though.

EDIT:
On top of that, SMF's development team isn't exactly the most pleasant, especially when it comes to security issues.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:50:11 AM by Antidote »
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 01:49:35 AM »

Speaking from experience, SMF is FAR from the best software, I personally prefer, and recommend phpBB, it takes some getting used to, but I find it's generally a more pleasant experience.

On the topic of A&A's Avvy, it doesn't bother me, images generally don't distract me though.

EDIT:
On top of that, SMF's development team isn't exactly the most pleasant, especially when it comes to security issues.

I have had a proboards for the past 10 years but I use it as a private website. It's been in continuous maintenance mode.

Though they're, overall, a PG-13 board system. They don't allow almost anything. I mainly use it as one of my many backup places for my writing, and they made me take off 90% of the stuff because of excessive profanity and sexual situations.

Now I have to find a new backup place that isn't so conservative.

-Nam

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 08:16:42 AM »

Having visited various other forums that do not use SMF, I find the other forum software to be rather complicated and difficult to use. The interfaces are often cluttered, some basic features are seemingly hidden and the additional options are often unnecessary and complex. SMF is by far the simplest software for the forum visitor to use.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »

Having visited various other forums that do not use SMF, I find the other forum software to be rather complicated and difficult to use. The interfaces are often cluttered, some basic features are seemingly hidden and the additional options are often unnecessary and complex. SMF is by far the simplest software for the forum visitor to use.

From a web programmer perspective, SMF is plain awful, I switched http://wiiking2.com from SMF to phpBB and haven't regretted it at all.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
Ahhhhhhh! This thread has been taken over by the NERDSCHPEAKERS! Flee for your lives!  :o