Author Topic: Satanists propose monument in Oklahoma City  (Read 1252 times)

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Re: Satanists propose monument in Oklahoma City
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 01:43:52 AM »
If Oklahoma City plays its cards right, they could end up with a kick ass tourist attraction. Biggest collection of religious statues and monuments on the entire planet!!! I SO want a FSM made from real spaghetti so the local needy can come and eat the body of our lord and savour.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:24 AM »
If Oklahoma City plays its cards right, they could end up with a kick ass tourist attraction. Biggest collection of religious statues and monuments on the entire planet!!! I SO want a FSM made from real spaghetti so the local needy can come and eat the body of our lord and savour.

You know, it just might happen. Politicians that use religion (meaning Christianity in the US) to win elections are notoriously myopic. The more the Christian exclusiveisists scream in protest, the more "pagan" groups are likely to notice this opportunity to raise their particular faith's profile. And US courts have been pretty consistent in agreeing that either every faith gets equal access to public displays or none of them do.

Really, those short-sighted politicos would be better off biting this particular bullet; quietly accepting the Satanist monument and not making a big deal of it. But of course by flaunting their religion, they've made that option impossible  ;D.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
It was only a matter of time. In Wisconsin we have this.

From the comments, my new favorite prayer: Our pasta, who art in a colander, draining be your noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy sauce be yum, on top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trample on our lawns. And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us some pizza, for thine is the meatball, the onion, and the bay leaves, forever and ever. R'Amen.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 11:44:01 PM »

Sorry, Fiji. I really love the idea, but the top bureaucrats in Oklahoma City just don't have your scope of vision. They're declaring a moratorium on additional requests for monuments:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/19/oklahoma-state-capitol-officials-call-moratorium-on-all-monuments/

From the linked article:
    Chair Trait Thompson, who also serves as senior policy advisory to Senate President Pro Tempore Brian Bingman, R-Sapulpa, made the motion proposing the ban. “Earlier the (American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma) brought a lawsuit against the Capitol Preservation Commission regarding the placement of the Ten Commandments monument on the north grounds of the State Capitol. Since that time, the CPC has received numerous requests from individuals and groups seeking to place additional monuments on the grounds.

“At this time, I believe action by the CPC on any of these requests would be premature given that the lawsuit has yet to be decided,” he added.

Or, to paraphrase, we’re not saying yes or no to any of these other monuments because we’re already dealing with a lawsuit from the first one.

Let's hope that lesson sinks in wherever Christian privilege is unthinkingly espoused. Then we can get back to our deliberately secular government, like the framers of the Constitution actually intended it to be...
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »
^^^ Yeah, no more monuments... just when I had the paperwork nearly complete on my request for a statue of the great Emperor Biggus Dickus.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan