Author Topic: $%&#@*(&%^#% ALEC strikes again  (Read 284 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
$%&#@*(&%^#% ALEC strikes again
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/04/alec-freerider-homeowners-assault-clean-energy

I ran out of swear words long before I finished reading this.

My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +512/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: $%&#@*(&%^#% ALEC strikes again
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »
Conservatives interfering in markets? Conservatives opposing competition? Conservatives opposing businesses? Do you suspect they are self-centred hypocrites who have no real values except their own bank-account?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:58:39 PM »
Conservatives interfering in markets? Conservatives opposing competition? Conservatives opposing businesses? Do you suspect they are self-centred hypocrites who have no real values except their own bank-account?
I more than suspect it.

I had to rewrite the OP several times as I kept having to erase a string of f-bombs, with a liberal sprinkling of evil b-words as well. I'm actually pretty proud of my restraint.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
Where is ELF when you need them?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:57:20 AM »
Where is ELF when you need them?

Or just Will Ferrell in general?

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »
"As it stands now, those direct generation customers are essentially freeriders on the system. They are not paying for the infrastructure they are using. In effect, all the other non direct generation customers are being penalised," he said.
Not paying for infrastructure?  How about starting with everyone's favorite Sunday gossip center?  I'm sure they don't freeload that much....oh only around $71,000,000,000
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-06-15/religious-tax-exemption-challenged/55629908/1
But I'm sure all their charitable acts more than make that up.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
"As it stands now, those direct generation customers are essentially freeriders on the system. They are not paying for the infrastructure they are using. In effect, all the other non direct generation customers are being penalised," he said.
Not paying for infrastructure?  How about starting with everyone's favorite Sunday gossip center?  I'm sure they don't freeload that much....oh only around $71,000,000,000
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-06-15/religious-tax-exemption-challenged/55629908/1
But I'm sure all their charitable acts more than make that up.

If it doesn't go into their pockets then they are freeloaders.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline RED_ApeTHEIST

• Student
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Hyperintelligent Orangutan
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
How exactly are those customers who are feeding power back into the grid "free-riding?" They are being paid by the company that owns/maintains the infrastructure they are being accused of taking advantage of.

It's like if I charged a gas station for the use of my car in providing the "infrastructure" (engine, clutch, ect) for the gasoline's consumption. That gas station didn't pay for that car! Why should they profit from it's use?

The only way this argument would have weight would be if the folks generating power were being paid directly by the neighbors who were using said power. Not that we could trace the usage of those particular electrons (or whatever you call a particular instance of current in a circuit) anyhow.
The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." - Terry Pratchet

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:12:27 PM »
They are freeloaders because of they suck the power back, during the night. In Australia, they started giving 7x the electricity price to installed solar, so they sprung up everywhere. Now, all those contracts have run out, and when they expire they will get nothing.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
I just read they're going after solar-powered dildoes! Wait, I might have read that at a satirical website...or worse, made it up.

;)

-Nam

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 10:49:05 PM »
They are freeloaders because of they suck the power back, during the night.
I don't see how this is freeloading.  Are they not charged for the electricity they pull off of the grid during times when solar power isn't available?