Author Topic: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?  (Read 3054 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 03:56:17 AM »
I need to spend some time reading up on how the figure of 6000 years is used. Seems to me it would be no easy task to accurately plot the internal chronology of the bible. I can't help but wonder if assumptions have been made at certain points which are wrong.

That's just demon talk.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:29 AM »

Adam is nonexistent, because he could not have seen the first women being born from his chest, since other women were surrounding him, but the narrator obscures this fact from the Eden story.

Why do you claim other women definitely surrounding him? This may be relevant to Jag's query also.

It doesn't really matter if they weren't surrounding Adam, because then the other option kicks in: it wasn't "the beginning". Jesus argues that from the beginning we were designed to be married and bonded. If there were pre-existing sub-humans, then A&E weren't at the beginning, and we can't vouch for how the sub-humans married, or lived. Jesus ignores them. Jesus argues that it was the times after the fall, when Moses needed to have a new law for immoral times. But the time when "we" (both male and female) were pure, seems to have lasted 5 minutes. There is no space in between Eve being created, and Eve being tempted.

Try writing a Biblical story which assumes sub-humans around the Garden, and see how it works.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:08:23 AM by Add Homonym »
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »
you said "our genes weren't as deteriorated". WTF does that mean?

Cretinists believe that man was created perfect, and could live for 1000 years. The fall from the noble savage state has caused our DNA to fill with shit. And since we can't eliminate the shit, because there is no such thing as evolution, then it must be increasing.

I think it is true that Christianity is causing muck to build up in our DNA, because instead of aborting all the defective babies, we put them into incubators. If anyone needs our help, we tend to help them. The Good Nietzsche Samaritan would have killed the guy on the side of the road, so his stupid genes didn't spread.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
Did Adam and his first wife have any kids?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2013, 08:28:15 AM »
In an ironic kind of way, it is actually the atheists who are evangelizing more than the Christians these days.

By "ironic Kind of" you must mean "not really at all." I have yet to see a single Atheist or Humanist Ad in real life, however I did pass four billboards advertizing Christian stuff on the way to work. Oh, and lets not forget the steeples, oh and the multiple Christian channels on Cable(as opposed to ONE atheist show on public access in Huston), and the Christian radio statios, and Chick-Fil-A, and the items on the BUlleitin board at work, and the Bible passages on cubicle walls, and the Christian fish and Jesus Bumper stickers(I have see some atheist/anti-religious ones....at less than a hundred to one ratio) and the politician speeches....yeah once again there ample proof you are dead wrong.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

Given that Adam and Eve had multiple children, Cain's wife was most likely his sister.

Remember that in those days, our genes weren't as deteriorated as they are now due to it being right after the Fall. God also didn't give the law against incest yet either. That came later in the Bible.

So there is no problem with where Cain got his wife.

So incest was part of the holy plan. I assume that you, following God's plan engage in it too, or are you so ugly your sister won't be with you?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
In an ironic kind of way, it is actually the atheists who are evangelizing more than the Christians these days.

By "ironic Kind of" you must mean "not really at all." I have yet to see a single Atheist or Humanist Ad in real life, however I did pass four billboards advertizing Christian stuff on the way to work. Oh, and lets not forget the steeples, oh and the multiple Christian channels on Cable(as opposed to ONE atheist show on public access in Huston), and the Christian radio statios, and Chick-Fil-A, and the items on the BUlleitin board at work, and the Bible passages on cubicle walls, and the Christian fish and Jesus Bumper stickers(I have see some atheist/anti-religious ones....at less than a hundred to one ratio) and the politician speeches....yeah once again there ample proof you are dead wrong.

This is supposed to be shown during the super bowl. We will see if it actually makes it or if the hype is just BS.

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »
Given that Adam and Eve had multiple children, Cain's wife was most likely his sister.

Remember that in those days, our genes weren't as deteriorated as they are now due to it being right after the Fall. God also didn't give the law against incest yet either. That came later in the Bible.

So there is no problem with where Cain got his wife.

Yea, I know that Adam had other sons and daughters. No biggie. But your further defense, where you said "our genes weren't as deteriorated". WTF does that mean? If you are referring to the dangers of inbreeding, that has nothing to do with gene deterioration. It is just that brothers and sisters shouldn't have kids together because it is genetically dangerous, even when both have very healthy genes. It has nothing to do with defects in their genes. It has everything to do with the close relationship, genetically, and the possibility of recessive traits being expressed.

Gene deterioration is a catch phrase used by racists to justify their claim that some people shouldn't breed. Which is a main philosophy of Eugenics, which was practiced by Nazi's. I'd stay away from that term if I were you. Unless you're one of them.
Eugenics was practiced in the good ole USA long before Hitler used it,Hitler just branded the concept
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »

Adam is nonexistent, because he could not have seen the first women being born from his chest, since other women were surrounding him, but the narrator obscures this fact from the Eden story.

Why do you claim other women definitely surrounding him? This may be relevant to Jag's query also.

It doesn't really matter if they weren't surrounding Adam, because then the other option kicks in: it wasn't "the beginning". Jesus argues that from the beginning we were designed to be married and bonded. If there were pre-existing sub-humans, then A&E weren't at the beginning, and we can't vouch for how the sub-humans married, or lived. Jesus ignores them. Jesus argues that it was the times after the fall, when Moses needed to have a new law for immoral times. But the time when "we" (both male and female) were pure, seems to have lasted 5 minutes. There is no space in between Eve being created, and Eve being tempted.

Try writing a Biblical story which assumes sub-humans around the Garden, and see how it works.
I have often wondered what the knowledge of good and evil has to do with a persons morality?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »
Eugenics was practiced in the good ole USA long before Hitler used it,Hitler just branded the concept

Which is suppossedly made the word "Eugenics" into a bad word. I think "improving the human race" is a laudable goal that a lot of people are too lilly livered to do what is needed to accomplish. Which is to have a policy along the lines of anyone born with severe birth defects given free medical care, but must be sterilized as to not weaken the gene pool.

That is until Gattica babies become the norm.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +757/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »

Gene deterioration is a catch phrase used by racists to justify their claim that some people shouldn't breed. Which is a main philosophy of Eugenics, which was practiced by Nazi's. I'd stay away from that term if I were you. Unless you're one of them.

You are of course correct, though if you are referring to what my people did to your people, I tend to think of that as just plain extermination, along with enslavement and banishment and bounty hunting. I was thinking of the race purification efforts (making lots of blonde, blue eyed germans) more than holocaust level stuff, and, in my efforts at being glib, I was not concentrating on complete accuracy.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +757/-6
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
I have often wondered what the knowledge of good and evil has to do with a persons morality?

That is an excellent question, 12. The "good" that would have resulted in humankind if little Evie hadn't snacked out of turn would have been a very false good, because humans would not have been able to be bad. We would have been frickin' robots, all smiles without knowing why.

Our morality comes directly from knowing what society sees as good and what society sees as bad. A dictatorship cannot be the source of moral behavior. It can only be the source of a heavy-handed behavioral control mechanism. No fun. Think North Korea.

You and I know what bad is when we see it, we know what it is when we do it. In any case, I know that one of the reasons I do my best to be a good person is that I understand the ramifications and negative impacts of bad behavior, whether it be on the level of lying or the level of murdering. And I don't want to contribute to the problems caused by such behavior.

If there was an Eden, and there was a fall, at least we aren't a bunch of idiotic zombies.

So we owe Eve our gratitude. If she existed. Which she didn't, of course.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »
If there was an Eden, and there was a fall, at least we aren't a bunch of idiotic zombies.

You got wonder about any religion that starts off with a story about how knowledge and disobedience as bad and maintains that lesson as a core element. Seriously, it sounds like it was kept around by tyrants as being useful.

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »
I need to spend some time reading up on how the figure of 6000 years is used. Seems to me it would be no easy task to accurately plot the internal chronology of the bible. I can't help but wonder if assumptions have been made at certain points which are wrong.

Hey mm, the YEC earth age hinges on creation happening in a literal six day span, as well as the genealogies in Genesis having no omissions between generations. Since Adam was created on the 6th day, and Abraham was born about 2,000 years after Adam, and it's been 4,000 years since Abraham, then the answer is roughly 6,000 years. That's it in a nutshell.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »

Hey mm, the YEC earth age hinges on creation happening in a literal six day span, as well as the genealogies in Genesis having no omissions between generations. Since Adam was created on the 6th day, and Abraham was born about 2,000 years after Adam, and it's been 4,000 years since Abraham, then the answer is roughly 6,000 years. That's it in a nutshell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology

A pictorial Gantt-lookin' chart of the Ussher chronology (.pdf form):
https://creation.com/images/pdfs/other/timeline_of_the_bible.pdf

Note, I have no idea how much modern day YECs[1] depend this.
 1. "modern day YEC" *shudder*
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »

You can't help but wonder because your background enables you to see at least some of the problems with reconciling biblical scripture with the real world. For Christian fundamentalists and literalists, it's far more important that the real world be interpreted entirely through the filter of their sectarian beliefs.

With their conclusion already determined, they must shoehorn the facts to fit it. If that means applying their own interpretations of scripture, quote mining scientists and outright lying, they'll do it.

I envy you, magic. You don't seem to have had much experience with batshit-crazy fundies before. Kind of amusing (well, for me) that an atheist forum is the means for that.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »

You are of course correct, though if you are referring to what my people did to your people, I tend to think of that as just plain extermination, along with enslavement and banishment and bounty hunting. I was thinking of the race purification efforts (making lots of blonde, blue eyed germans) more than holocaust level stuff, and, in my efforts at being glib, I was not concentrating on complete accuracy.
I was thinking more of the early 20th century where they were sterilizing,mentally ill,deformed,downs syndrome,homosexuals,sexually perverted and the many other categories they deemed "undesirable"

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »

That is an excellent question, 12. The "good" that would have resulted in humankind if little Evie hadn't snacked out of turn would have been a very false good, because humans would not have been able to be bad. We would have been frickin' robots, all smiles without knowing why.

Our morality comes directly from knowing what society sees as good and what society sees as bad. A dictatorship cannot be the source of moral behavior. It can only be the source of a heavy-handed behavioral control mechanism. No fun. Think North Korea.

You and I know what bad is when we see it, we know what it is when we do it. In any case, I know that one of the reasons I do my best to be a good person is that I understand the ramifications and negative impacts of bad behavior, whether it be on the level of lying or the level of murdering. And I don't want to contribute to the problems caused by such behavior.

The knowledge she gained would have kept her from eating the apple in the first place,seeing as she could not tell what is evil and what is good in the first place

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2013, 08:54:23 AM »

You kind of have to have the numbers to back you up, and know a lot more about irony, before you can get away with that statement.

I've come home to find that both mormons and JW's had been knocking on my door this month. I haven't ever gone atheizing anywhere. The only place I rant on the subject is on this already atheistic site, that only has believers because those believers have chosen to be here. That can hardly count.

Where is atheism higher profile than theism? Have atheists pushed the pope out of the popemobile? Have atheists shoved Pat Robertson out of his multi-million dollar studio? Are atheists blocking the doors of super churches and wrestling all the believers to the ground? Are atheists tearing up all the dollars in the world because they have "In god we trust" written on them? Or what? You tell us. Otherwise it is an opinion, from someone who isn't very good at expressing anything. And it is useless.
Well said.

That's just further proof that religion is bullshit. You have a multitude of Christians in a society, but all it takes is a few rational people to say "Hey! The emperor isn't wearing any clothes!", and the truth coming from those few voices obviously hits harder and makes the deluded, semi-brainwashed majority feel persecuted.

Here is a discussion going on right now about this:

http://christianforums.net/Fellowship/index.php?threads/persecution.51492/
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
A friend of mine shared this on Facebook:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not offended by someone choosing to be a theist. As long as their beliefs aren't negatively impacting other people what's to get offended about?

Can belief alone be seen as offensive? Just belief, not actions.[1]
 1. We all know there are plenty of actions based on belief that can be offensive and/or dangerous.
An alternate.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
HEY! Since you brought it up, maybe you can answer a question for me.

Well, I think thats a fair assumption, given they were the only man and woman alive.
In light of that statement, when did the people of Nod show up, and from where did they arrive? Cain's wife? How is there this whole other population of people, one of whom Cain married (opening up another can of worms that we must set aside for now), if Adam and Eve are it? They had Cain and Abel, Abel was killed then out of seemingly nowhere Cain goes off and finds himself a wife. What the ...?

@magicmiles - we never got back to this question.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »

Well said.

That's just further proof that religion is bullshit. You have a multitude of Christians in a society, but all it takes is a few rational people to say "Hey! The emperor isn't wearing any clothes!", and the truth coming from those few voices obviously hits harder and makes the deluded, semi-brainwashed majority feel persecuted.

"20 youths playing pinball machines wanted to throw me through a plate glass window and I just wanted to convert them."

Why does that story sound completely made up? Find me a cluster of that many "youths" interested in pinball machines, a place that has multiple pinball machines, a place that has poor security...and a plate glass window, the type of "youths" interested in pinball machine that are openly violent, after say 1985, and a place that would offer such old fashioned entertainment that is openly anti christian.

It sounds more like something from a movie from 1954 that would play on MST3K than real life.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:20:07 PM by Hatter23 »

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »

Well said.

"20 youths playing pinball machines wanted to throw me through a plate glass window and I just wanted to convert them."

Why does that story sound completely made up? Find me a cluster of that many "youths" interested in pinball machines, a place that has multiple pinball machines, a place that has poor security...and a plate glass window, the type of "youths" interested in pinball machine that are openly violent, after say 1985, and a place that would offer such old fashioned entertainment that is openly anti christian.

It sounds more like something from a movie from 1954 that would play on MST3K than real life.
Totally.

It's one thing to exaggerate your being persecuted, but as you pointed out, this dude's entire story sounds fishy.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
@OP

No.  I am not the least bit offended by the belief in god.  A lot of people use god as a coping strategy to deal with pain.  Others use drugs or alcohol to dull pain, or revenge to try and convert pain into something else, while others create a fantasy-world, (usually to supplement their god(s) ), in which their dead loved ones visit them or those who caused them pain are suffering because of curses or some sort of system or intrinsic justice (like karma) or some sort of punishment in the afterlife, like hell.  Sometimes they use these strategies in conjunction with god.  And sometimes they make their situation worse than it was to begin with. 

That is when I get worried.

There is a lot about religion that I really like.  I like traditions and parties and festivals and rites of passage, that are carried on from generation to generation.  I like the community-building component of most religions.  And I like a lot of the stories, and often much of the teachings.

My personal policy is that I accept everyone's blessings, and no ones damnation.  If you want to thank me for something I did by including me in your prayers, I am honored.  If you want to think about me during my times of pain or difficulty, that is ok if it is all you have to offer.  Coming over with a casserole or offering to pick my daughter up after piano class so I can address the problem would be more helpful.   But if you want to tell me that I am destined to suffer eternal damnation because I don't embrace your superstitions, well, you can go to hell.   

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
There's the weirdness of the Christian claim of persecution in "The Thaw"

I like the Amazing Atheist's take on it:

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »
These girls in the video are disturbing,all young,cute and STUPID,I would hate to meet their parents
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:29:37 PM by 12 Monkeys »

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
HEY! Since you brought it up, maybe you can answer a question for me.

Well, I think thats a fair assumption, given they were the only man and woman alive.
In light of that statement, when did the people of Nod show up, and from where did they arrive? Cain's wife? How is there this whole other population of people, one of whom Cain married (opening up another can of worms that we must set aside for now), if Adam and Eve are it? They had Cain and Abel, Abel was killed then out of seemingly nowhere Cain goes off and finds himself a wife. What the ...?

@magicmiles - we never got back to this question.

I can only suggest Adam and Eve had many, many other children who also then had many other children, and that the Cain and Abel occurrence happened when they were a lot older than is at first assumed.

But, I don't know.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline CheesusCrust

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
In a few situations I find belief in a deity absurd worthy of scorn, but someone that needs to have an omnipotent imaginary friend to make life meaningful and bearable deserves more pity than scorn. To me, such childish fantasy is evidence of a deep fear of uncertainty and the random nature of existence. Religion and deities were created by humans whose understanding of science and nature was almost non-existent in order to explain things they had no way of comprehending. They projected their own image into the role of gods in order to be able to have some sense of control over their lives by asking these beings for their help. The fact that people still believe in these myths is largely due to the same fears and lack of understanding, and having an omnipotent being on your side that tells you everything you want to hear is appealing if not addictive. Add in an education lacking in science and math, critical thinking skills, and how to judge a claim based on its evidence, and it's easy to see how religion still attracts so many. What's easier, learning calculus and biology, or accepting dogma because a deity wants you to use faith?

When someone believes they are doing a god's will, fear and uncertainty largely disappear. Such a belief can also lead to atrocious crimes against others, both physically and psychologically - witch hunts, inquisitions, suicide bombings, genocide, murder and rape have all occurred in the name of piety and religion.

I find it absurd when survivors of a catastrophe believe they were the recipient of divine intervention while others died - thanks is given to a deity, yet no condemnation for killing the victims is expressed. Why were they so special? What made their deity choose them over someone else?

An extremely ill person has a life saving operation or medical treatment. The prayers said for them by others must have worked! Had their friends and family not petitioned the god enough, surely they would have died. The true heroes, the doctors and nurses, are not given as much credit as the magical being watching over them because to do so would be blasphemous.

A friend of mine was kicked out of his home by his mother for not believing in religion. She sent him to his aunt's because she couldn't be around him knowing he would be forever tormented in a lake of fire. Yet she still held onto her notion that god is a benevolent being worthy of praise and devotion regardless of the horrors her child would suffer throughout eternity as taught by her mythology. The same is true for parents that cannot accept the sexual identity their children are born with. Choosing religious doctrine and belief over the well-being and love of your child is detestable.

I don't find these things offensive - I find them absurd and disgusting and indicative of selfishness and ignorance. People can believe whatever they want. It's when those beliefs have negative real world consequences that they deserve condemnation.

As a last thought, I don't want to 'believe' in things. I want to know things. Belief requires faith and unquestioning adherence -  knowledge requires evidence and skeptical inquiry.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +757/-6
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »
The Adam and Even and Cain and Abel thingy.

If god was fine with brothers and sisters doing the dirty deed, why did the first family start out with two sons? Unless mommy gets intimately involved, so to speak, they've got nothing. No wonder they fought so much with each other. They had nobody else to fight with.

Of course Abel could have died during a lovers quarrel, but I know better than to go there. Almost.