Author Topic: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +84/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
Re: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:30 AM »
I thought it was quite ranty and over the top. It's OK that you disagree.

It's all relative.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 04:18:57 AM »
The only thing I'm offended by in regards of religion is the fact that they're trying to get a free pass to teach their crap in schools, and get it into politics.
THAT offends me greatly, otherwise I couldn't care less.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »
I thought it was quite ranty and over the top. It's OK that you disagree.

And this is a perfect example of where *I* get offended.  Ataraxia was espousing the fact that children should not be indoctrinated, something that a lot of folks (myself included) feel very strongly about as one of the major faults of religion.  He was very specific: believe what you want, but leave it outside MY door and MY family.  Once you come into MY house and start making judgment calls on whether I should be foisting YOUR superstition upon MY child, you'd better believe I'm going to rant.

But Magic thinks that was too much.  Religion does NOT deserve the free pass it seems to always get.  No fundy gets to decide what I do with my kids, or what Ataraxia does with his.  Why, MM, was that over the top: to proclaim strong dissatisfaction with a judgment on how he's raising his kids that he thinks is ridiculous on its face?
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
Subjective opinion on his word choice, Boots. It's also OK that you disagree with me.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +84/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
It's my style. You either like it or lump it, I suppose.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
Subjective opinion on his word choice, Boots. It's also OK that you disagree with me.

so, it's the word choice, not the substance of the message, that bothered you MM?
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
The only thing I'm offended by in regards of religion is the fact that they're trying to get a free pass to teach their crap in schools, and get it into politics.

but intelligent design is a very good explanation for the complex things in nature. Nobody can explain how http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp can evolve on its own.

The emerald cockroach wasp stings a live cockroach and uses it's stomach to host its larvae. No way this can evolve without a divine hand at work. How did the first emerald cockroach wasp "just know" how to sting a cockroach and use it for its larvae? It must have been designed beforehand, for they can not evolve simultaneously. That is certainly an asinine idea.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

so, it's the word choice, not the substance of the message, that bothered you MM?

Yes, the words used and style of writing. Not the sentiment.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »

but intelligent design is a very good explanation for the complex things in nature. Nobody can explain how http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp can evolve on its own.

The emerald cockroach wasp stings a live cockroach and uses it's stomach to host its larvae. No way this can evolve without a divine hand at work. How did the first emerald cockroach wasp "just know" how to sting a cockroach and use it for its larvae? It must have been designed beforehand, for they can not evolve simultaneously. That is certainly an asinine idea.
Does the snake just dream up the poison in its head or did God want the snakes to kill a few hundred people a year with its divine design? BTW what would God make such a poor design allowing one animal to host the offspring of another,it always works out bad for the host animal.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:17:23 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »

Does the snake just dream up the poison in its head or did God want the snakes to kill a few hundred people a year with its divine design? BTW what would God make such a poor design allowing one animal to host the offspring of another,it always works out bad for the host animal.

"Why would God.....?" is an argument from incredulity.

Just because you may not know doesn't mean there is no reason.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
No it was a statement,about evolution. If it was not the cockroach having its stomach used as an egg sack I'm sure the wasp would have used another host or evolved a different way to ensure its offspring survived. It is just unfortunate for the cockroach. 

There are lots of things in the animal kingdom that use hosts for hatching offspring,our bodies are a fine example of a host,for thousands of organisms. We have a symbiotic relationship with many,we keep them alive and they in turn help us survive. Without them we would die off.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:39:13 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »

"Why would God.....?" is an argument from incredulity.

Just because you may not know doesn't mean there is no reason.

This is all well and good, unless you think that it doesn't apply to Emerald cockroach wasps.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »
No it was a statement,if it was not the cockroach having its stomach used as an egg sack I'm sure the wasp would have used another host or evolved a different way to ensure its offspring survived. It is just unfortunate for the cockroach. 

There are lots of things in the animal kingdom that use hosts for hatching offspring,our bodies are a fine example of a host,for thousands of organisms. We have a symbiotic relationship with many,we keep them alive and they in turn help us survive. Without them we would die off.

Is it your position that our bodies being a host for organisms is a good thing, not to be blamed by God? If we can't live without them, it suggests intelligent design to me and plenty of others.

So I expect you guys to not be blaming God for anything anymore, considering we need this stuff to live.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »

Argument from incredulity: just because you think such a predator-prey relationship can't evolve naturally doesn't make it so. Can't you grasp that evolution proceeds in gradual increments, that the relationships we see now between different organisms took nearly countless generations to reach their current state?

It seems a common problem with creationists that they think evolution needs to happen fast enough for them to see it to make it valid. But the theory predicts gradual, incremental change, not the absurd creationist parodies like "crocoducks". That slow change is reflected both in the fossil record and in the nested genetic similarities between various organisms.

"Intelligent design" is a religious apologetic, "stealth creationism" meant to deceive the courts that keep striking down attempts to get religious beliefs taught as science in public schools. That's all it was ever meant to be.

I'm not going to derail this thread into discussing these topics. I'll start an "Intelligent design" thread later. 
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
No it was a statement,if it was not the cockroach having its stomach used as an egg sack I'm sure the wasp would have used another host or evolved a different way to ensure its offspring survived. It is just unfortunate for the cockroach. 

Is it your position that our bodies being a host for organisms is a good thing, not to be blamed by God? If we can't live without them, it suggests intelligent design to me and plenty of others.

So I expect you guys to not be blaming God for anything anymore, considering we need this stuff to live.
If an organism can kill us by using our body as host it is not intelligent design,look at victims of the black plague. Theists thought it was God,we learned through science what it ACTUALLY was.

If an organism out there can kill us is it because of free-will and intelligent design or that the organism could not give a fuck if the host dies,as long as it(the organism) survives?

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
Please everyone, just ignore Skep--he's trying to change the topic.  (BTW, I accidentally gave him a + karma on his ridiculous statement that atheists are doing most of the evangelizing these days.  If someone could fix that to a - karma, I would much appreciate it!)

Anyway, about the actual topic, I, like xxyzy, am offended when people thank god for good things (instead of science, other people, random good luck).  SO annoying.  Plus, pleas for prayers sort of annoy since they obviously don't work.

But, like most here, I am offended by the Christians in the US who seem to think that everyone believes the same thing they do and that everything revolves around their belief system.  UGH.  Stop trying to make our country a theocracy!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »

A true intelligent designer could make digestive system that didn't require foreign bacteria to work. When the lack of foreign bacteria can cause many a health problem, being dependent upon them lacks a certain amount of wisdom.

An evolution-caused digestive system doesn't have any intelligence behind it, so it can do things that don't look all that smart, but still work. Most of the time. You of course, preferring the right to be selectively incredulous, feel otherwise. But it ain't feelings that explains this stuff. It is reality.  And since you have no contact with it, I'm not surprised that you have to come up with alternative explanations.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »
Hard to "blame" that which doesn't exist.

For the record I don't blame god for anything - I blame stupid, credulous people for a lot of stuff though.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Argument from incredulity: just because you think such a predator-prey relationship can't evolve naturally doesn't make it so. Can't you grasp that evolution proceeds in gradual increments, that the relationships we see now between different organisms took nearly countless generations to reach their current state?

Can you show us the gradual increments of the evolution of the emerald cockroach wasp?

"Intelligent design" is a religious apologetic, "stealth creationism" meant to deceive the courts that keep striking down attempts to get religious beliefs taught as science in public schools. That's all it was ever meant to be.

It is not stealth creationism.

Scientists have actually found that DNA is basically a coded computer program. It takes intelligence to make a coded computer program.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »

Just because it uses cockroaches now doesn't mean it used them in the past, they've also been known to use other insects as well, though it's extremely rare.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »

Can you show us the gradual increments of the evolution of the emerald cockroach wasp?

Scientists have actually found that DNA is basically a coded computer program. It takes intelligence to make a coded computer program.

I'm going to call BS on this, because it does not necessarily require an intelligence to make a computer program. I can use /dev/urandom on my computer to produce valid code and insert it into an ELF, I would have no idea what it did, but it WOULD be valid.

---

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
Just because it uses cockroaches now doesn't mean it used them in the past, they've also been known to use other insects as well, though it's extremely rare.

Do you have evidence they used other insects?
or is it just accepted on faith?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »

What would you call the genetic mistakes like Spina bifida,Crohns,Downs syndrome,infant cancer? the result of free will? The creator being imperfect?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
I'm going to call BS on this, because it does not necessarily require an intelligence to make a computer program. I can use /dev/urandom on my computer to produce valid code and insert it into an ELF, I would have no idea what it did, but it WOULD be valid.

You still have to do it yourself though. You must press a button.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »

Not on hand, it'll take a while to find, but no I'm not accepting it on faith. Nice try.

---

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
What would you call the genetic mistakes like Spina bifida,Crohns,Downs syndrome,infant cancer? the result of free will? The creator being imperfect?

Some things are imperfect due to the fall. Things have been deteriorating for 6,000 years.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »

You still have to do it yourself though. You must press a button.

Are you really going to go there? I can eliminate myself from the picture quite easily.

EDIT:
All it would take is for a GROUP of people to type one letter at a time, this acts as a sort of natural selection, if one person makes a mistake, the next person corrects it, each person doing one task and ONLY one task.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:47:40 PM by Antidote »

---

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »

Troll,so God created the cockroach just for breeding purpose of the wasp?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »

Some things are imperfect due to the fall. Things have been deteriorating for 6,000 years.
Jesus corrected it or he "died" for nothing.