Author Topic: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Wasserbuffel

• Student
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
A friend of mine shared this on Facebook:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not offended by someone choosing to be a theist. As long as their beliefs aren't negatively impacting other people what's to get offended about?

Can belief alone be seen as offensive? Just belief, not actions.[1]
 1. We all know there are plenty of actions based on belief that can be offensive and/or dangerous.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:09:47 PM »
Adults are free to believe what they like, and as long as it does not affect me then fine.
However i do not like that poster. Has that girl really had a choice in the matter? I would guess the child has been taught god is real (and heaven and hell) and being a child will probably trust 100% what an adult is telling her.
It really is almost a form of abuse.
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
I'm not made angry by people who have religious belief. It's when they impose that belief, directly or indirectly, on me or others that my hackles go up and my teeth get bared.

Don't like premarital sex? Don't have it. Don't like abortions? Don't have one. Don't like gays getting married? Don't perform them in your church. Think all other religions are demonically-inspired? Stay away from them.

But keep your beliefs out of public life. The alternative is sectarian violence and repression; history is all too replete with examples of how that turned out. Spoiler: not well.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
I find it poignant that the girl in the pic appears to have her hands over her ears.  :-)

But in any case, I'm not strictly "offended" that someone believes in a god.  I do find the idea of a deity ridiculous, so the belief is subject to ridicule, which is only tangentially the same: I'm a bit offended that someone doesn't use their head to figure out the truth.

However, I *am* offended when someone tells me I'm going to hell, or my kids are, because we are atheists. Or when those in power try to take away someone else's rights because of their god beliefs.  OR when folks say "the problem with this country is that we're turning away from god"  pssshhh utterly ridiculous, and missing so many points that they might as well not be firing.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
In any case, there are a lot of theists out there who certainly seem that they are offended by atheism, so I'm not sure I even agree with the poster's premise here.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »
The poster may very well be unminding of atheists, but I have a hard time imaging that this guy is unaware that a lot of believers have a very different attitude towards atheists.  How often have we heard things like "atheists are amoral" or "atheists don't want to be accountable to god"?  Is he really unaware of such retorts, or how offensive they are?  At any rate, this suggests insensitivity on his part.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
Good question!

First I want to agree with jynnan tonix. I'm not sure that I really buy the premise. Boots makes a good point as well - it's not that I'm offended by their beliefs, so much as disappointed.

I don't really care about people's religious beliefs until they insist on sharing them with me. I love to discuss religion and beliefs about deities with people who want to discuss, but I don't bother arguing about it in real life unless pushed into it.

In short, believe whatever you want, and don't be a jerk.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
I am not offended because indoctrination is a strong tool. I am offended when people try to inject their religious beliefs into any conversation/interaction with me. I typically wont bring it up, but if they open the door I usually have no issues with saying exactly how I feel... usually in no uncertain terms.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »
They'll Know We Are Christians

We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that all unity may one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each one's dignity and save each one's pride

By our love, by our love

We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand
We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand
And together we'll spread the news that God is in our land

By our love, by our love

Love is patient, love is kind
Never boasts, not full of pride
Always hopes, always trusts

The evidence of Christ in us

I remember singing this song as a kid in catholic school. If this were actually true (second and last verses in particular), I'd think far more highly of religious people.  Instead, I find people who are determined to tell me that they are christians, then act in every hateful way imaginable.

Frankly, if someone's noteworthy behavior gave me pause enough to wonder what inspired it, assuming them to be a christian is not what would spring to mind.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
Frankly, if someone's noteworthy behavior gave me pause enough to wonder what inspired it, assuming them to be a christian is not what would spring to mind.

Good point. When someone does something particularly kind or selfless, despite my Quaker upbringing and 15 years as a practicing Christian, I don't think: How Christian of them! Most of the time it's something like: What a nice / kind / patient person.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Wasserbuffel

• Student
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »

This could be a new subject all together.  It's irritating when I do something nice for someone and they thank god instead of me. If I go out of my way to help a stranger I'm doing it because I'm a kind person, not because some deity is compelling me to. 

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
The following may be stretching what 'being offended' means (and, truth be told, I may be stretching what 'belief' means), but I'm curious how this will play out:

I'm not made angry by people who have religious belief. It's when they impose that belief, directly or indirectly, on me or others that my hackles go up and my teeth get bared.
If these particular people actually believe that, unless you do not follow god's rules, that you will be eternally tortured, shouldn't you be offended if they don't try, with as much effort as they can muster, to impose those beliefs upon you?

I'm being serious here.  If there is someone who truly believes that, unless you accept claims a, b, and c, unless you do x, y, and z, that you will suffer eternally, shouldn't you be offended that they aren't doing their best to save you from eternal torture?
Don't like premarital sex? Don't have it. Don't like abortions? Don't have one. Don't like gays getting married? Don't perform them in your church. Think all other religions are demonically-inspired? Stay away from them.

But keep your beliefs out of public life. The alternative is sectarian violence and repression; history is all too replete with examples of how that turned out. Spoiler: not well.
But their beliefs extend beyond what they do or do not like.  Their beliefs are that, if you engage in premarital sex, you will be eternally tortured.  That if you are OK with homosexual marriage, you will be eternally tortured.  These are beliefs regarding objective reality here, not merely preference.

Bad analogy time:
Let's say that I am at a fork in the road.  There are no signs of any kind to indicate what will happen if I go down path A or path B.

I am on this road and walking towards path A.  Now, there is another person who sees me walking down path A, and this person believes that path A leads to pain - let's say...an army of monkeys with rubber mallets that will continuously hit me, over and over again, if I so much as go near them.  This person tells me about these monkeys, but I don't believe them.

Now...both this person and myself acknowledge that I do not want to feel pain.  If presented with the options of 'being hit by rubber mallets' or 'not being hit by rubber mallets', I would decidedly pick 'not being hit by rubber mallets'.  This person knows that I do not want to be hit by rubber mallets.  Which action should I find more offensive - if this person let's me wallow in my own ignorance and carry on my merry way down path A, or if they tackle me and force me down path B because they believe that I will be hit by rubber mallets if I do otherwise, and they know that I don't want to be hit by rubber mallets?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
^^^Let those people first show evidence that I will in fact be tortured forever if I partake in those actions. If they could do that, then I'd have something new to consider.

If all they have are their unsubstantiated beliefs, then no, they have no valid reason to impose those beliefs on me.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
I'm not offended that Christians don't believe in Chukwu,
So why are Christians offended that I believe in Chukwu*?

*Or any one of the other African gods that Christians feel they have to stop people believing in.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:20:44 PM by Ron Jeremy »
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
You're not offended that atheists don't believe in God?[1]

According to the Bible, you should be.

"If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned." -John 15:6
 1. This question is directed towards the creator of the poster, not Wasserbuffel.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »

According to the Bible, you should be.

"If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned." -John 15:6

That verse in no way suggests that a Christian should be offended by an atheist.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
testing
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
I'm only offended if their beliefs threaten my freedom to not believe or if they don't leave me alone even after I said no to their believes.

I actually see theists getting offended only because someone disagrees with them. They think it's an offense/blasfemy if you don't acknowledge their God as wonderful.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Online xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:20 AM »
 1. We all know there are plenty of actions based on belief that can be offensive and/or dangerous.

Is believing, perhaps to the point of disgust, that someone is inferior based on the colour of their skin, their sexual orientation, or just their gender offensive in and of itself? Maybe not the actual thought, but the expression of it? I'd say so.

As for atheists being offended by someone believing in an unproven and logically incoherent deity? That's just the emotionally-manipulative Christian tactic of inventing some supposed insult then railing against it so as to feed their persecution complex.

What I do find offensive, though, is when Christians attempt to legitimise their beliefs by lumping praise on their imaginary friend instead of, say, the surgeon who saved their child. Or, for example, demanding equal consideration for 2000 years old irrational and superstitious beliefs compared to, say, reality. Yes, oddly, I find that offensive.

Oh, and for the poor darlings who might need help with their over-acting:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »
I don't care what people believe or disbelieve. What I do have a problem with is those people who use their belief in religion and/or god to inject it into my life, or others by force. Just like they wouldn't care for it done on them why would they think others would want it imposed on others?

If it's a majority rule, not much can be done about it but that's usually not the case. Take, as an example, gun laws in the US. The majority of people want gun laws but the minority, who has billions of dollars and/or influence sway those in passing laws (both aisles but mainly one over the other) to enact laws that go against the majority. One party gets a lot of money, and another party gets the anarchy they want so they can profit from it.

There are plenty of examples that can be used.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 01:26:23 AM »

Is believing, perhaps to the point of disgust, that someone is inferior based on the colour of their skin, their sexual orientation, or just their gender offensive in and of itself? Maybe not the actual thought, but the expression of it? I'd say so.

Is it possible to have a belief like these without acting on them even in a subconsciousness way if not deliberate? I don't think so. That's why it's important to figure out which version of christian god a person believes in before you categorize them in the bigot for Jesus box. Some SPAG is all love and tolerance and forgiveness...you know...turn the other cheek stuff.

Some SPAG is all hell fire and brimstone and vengeance for all who disagree. So it's important to be able to tell the difference. Not all christians think black people or women are inferior. But you probably know this already. 

As for atheists being offended by someone believing in an unproven and logically incoherent deity? That's just the emotionally-manipulative Christian tactic of inventing some supposed insult then railing against it so as to feed their persecution complex.

Yeah...because there has never existed an atheist anywhere in the history of the human race who took offense to some one saying "god bless you" when they sneezed. They all just say "thank you" and polity go about their business. Come to think of it...I have never heard of an atheist ever getting offended by anything a christian does...whether it impacts them directly or not. So I see your point.

Oh, and for the poor darlings who might need help with their over-acting:

Yes...poor things indeed. 
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 01:57:59 AM »

Is it possible to have a belief like these without acting on them even in a subconsciousness way if not deliberate? I don't think so....

I agree with your point, and that's what I was driving at.

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell
That's why it's important to figure out which version of christian god a person believes in before you categorize them in the bigot for Jesus box. Some SPAG is all love and tolerance and forgiveness...you know...turn the other cheek stuff.

Some SPAG is all hell fire and brimstone and vengeance for all who disagree. So it's important to be able to tell the difference. Not all christians think black people or women are inferior. But you probably know this already.

Again, I agree with the preceding premise on but I am mystified as to why you would perceive my comments about race, gender, etc as being specifically directed at Christians. Unless, of course, you enjoy being offended?

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell

Yeah...because there has never existed an atheist anywhere in the history of the human race who took offense to some one saying "god bless you" when they sneezed. They all just say "thank you" and polity go about their business. Come to think of it...I have never heard of an atheist ever getting offended by anything a christian does...whether it impacts them directly or not. So I see your point.

Ah, I see. Tu quoque, and we get to divert the conversation away from religious beliefs and back onto being offended? We seem to have come full circle.

Oh, and seeing as how you brought it up. Today I helped a random stranger, as many I am sure do. They thanked me and added "God bless you, you are very kind". Silly me. I just said "you're welcome". I thought the god reference was unneeded, but they had thanked me, and it wasn't about scoring points. If only I had known to be offended and to have thrown a hissy fit. I'll try harder next time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »
If only I had known to be offended and to have thrown a hissy fit. I'll try harder next time.

Ha! You be sure and do that! Can't have people running around outside of their boxes.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-434
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 02:05:45 AM »
In an ironic kind of way, it is actually the atheists who are evangelizing more than the Christians these days.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 02:54:58 AM »
People can believe what the hell they like, but their right to express that belief ends at the tip of my nose (or cock, depending on the religion).

It's more disgust than offence what I feel. I am disgusted that a child is being used in this image to convey the little quip, because like the Dawk, I am vehemently against labelling children under any religion. We don't do it with politics - we don't label a six month old a Liberal and perform some strange initiation ceremony.

I had this issue to deal with myself only recently, as my daughter is only just about to turn one this month, so along the way the odd God botherer waves their unwarranted beliefs in my boat race, "Oooo, you're going to get her Christened aren't you?" No dear. No, I fucking damn well won't be Christening her, and I don't see how that should even be elevated above, or hold any reverence over, any other religious ceremony or none at all. "Oh, but you must. It'll give her the best start in life." Yeah, fuck off now, love. I'm not for deciding what labels my child wishes to attach to herself in the future. Jeez, she doesn't even know not to shit herself yet, and yet you're already trying to stamp her with a world view. Get out my house. Take your clip on earrings, your grey cardigan and your dreary husband with his jumper draped over his shoulders, and make like a tree and fuck off.

So yeah, I'm quite happy for people to believe what ever they like, but like the mud on your shoes, you wipe it on my welcome mat before you enter my house, instead of trying to smear it all over the walls of my baby's bedroom.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:44 AM »
Nice rant. Does it also come in under dramatic?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 03:40:24 AM »
Nice rant. Does it also come in under dramatic?

Rant? I thought it was quite tame. I'd tone it down for you, but as you can see, I struggle to cater for Christian desires.

Does your contribution to this thread have anything to say on the actual topic, or are you now limited to snippets of nothingness for fear of getting embroiled when you should be concentrating on doing that which you get paid for?
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 03:47:23 AM »
I thought it was quite ranty and over the top. It's OK that you disagree.

Go on up you baldhead.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:41 AM »
In an ironic kind of way, it is actually the atheists who are evangelizing more than the Christians these days.

You kind of have to have the numbers to back you up, and know a lot more about irony, before you can get away with that statement.

I've come home to find that both mormons and JW's had been knocking on my door this month. I haven't ever gone atheizing anywhere. The only place I rant on the subject is on this already atheistic site, that only has believers because those believers have chosen to be here. That can hardly count.

Where is atheism higher profile than theism? Have atheists pushed the pope out of the popemobile? Have atheists shoved Pat Robertson out of his multi-million dollar studio? Are atheists blocking the doors of super churches and wrestling all the believers to the ground? Are atheists tearing up all the dollars in the world because they have "In god we trust" written on them? Or what? You tell us. Otherwise it is an opinion, from someone who isn't very good at expressing anything. And it is useless.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.