Author Topic: Why would anyone follow the Biblical Satan?  (Read 111 times)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Why would anyone follow the Biblical Satan?
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:13:01 AM »
Serious question, as it has bothered me for years. 

I'm not talking about the general "deceived into following Satan" side of things.  I can see how people can do the wrong thing while sincerely believing they are doing what is right.  Nor am I talking about people who dismiss the whole god-mythology, and do things that would generally be approved of by Satan.

I'm talking about the people who read the Bible, believe what is in it, and deliberately decide to do the things that Satan wants.  And especially anyone who actually gets in touch with Satan and makes some kind of formal agreement for earthly wealth and whatnot.

I really, honestly, cannot see how ANY person could legitimately and honestly end up on the side of darkness by informed choice.  Surely if you believe the whole Bible thing enough to believe there is an adversary, you know full well that (a) the bad side loses, and (b) you will be tortured forever for your involvement?

And if that's the case, then it means that every person who ends up on the side of the Bad, gets there through a process of disinformation and lack of understanding - through good intentions poorly implemeneted or gullibility or error?  And if THAT is the case, then what is so good about the god who consigns THEM to hell for getting things wrong?

But that's a side issue.  What I want to hear from Christians is exactly how they believe someone makes a deliberate and informed decision to cast their lot in with Satan?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
Re: Why would anyone follow the Biblical Satan?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »
I'd be quite interested to know this too. The figure of Satan in the bible is a bit short on detail - given it is a title not a name in the Book of Job, meaning the accuser. The new testament not only uses Satan as a name but also has Beelzebub - a mis-spelling of the god mentioned in 2 Kings 1, Baal-Zebub (Lord of the Flies!) Jesus also mentions demons.

The point is there is little to go on about Satan, the Devil etc. It's all muddled and incoherent. I think the main way people know ny more about the figure of Satan is texts outwith the bible - various Jewish texts and, of course, Christian texts.  As such, I rather think that the reading and acceptance of the bible may not play a part in people wanting to follow Satan.

The Church of Satan for example is not a church that worships Satan, rather it is using Satan as a symbol for accepting ourselves as we are and accepting that the gods we all know about were all invented by man to help him feel secure. In effect, many Satanists are just atheists like we are and do not really worship an evil being.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)