Author Topic: Preacher gone.  (Read 948 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Preacher gone.
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
That scumbag preacher who is on TV with his wife (the one with the crazy multi color hair) has died at 79.  He has 13 mansions and several private jets.  The god game was good to him.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
Re: Preacher gone.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
Now he'll have to explain to god why he didn't sell EVERYTHING he had, and gave it to the poor.

Maybe he thought Jesus was talking about a spiritual selling...  :P
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
Who gets all his mansions? Sure as hell ain't his flock.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
Hey, since we have all those demons on our side, we should ask them for some big bucks, buy up the mansions, and set them up as WWGHA party houses or something. Seems reasonable to me.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
That scumbag preacher who is on TV with his wife (the one with the crazy multi color hair) has died at 79. 

Link?
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »
That scumbag preacher who is on TV with his wife (the one with the crazy multi color hair) has died at 79. 

Link?

Nick is usually allergic to links; they give him hives or something. It's a quirk that used to annoy me; now I think it's kind of cute. We all have our little ways.

Here's one:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/01/paul-crouch-who-founded-trinity-broadcasting-network-and-made-millions-off-the-backs-of-gullible-viewers-is-dead/
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »
Good riddance.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »

Link?

Nick is usually allergic to links; they give him hives or something. It's a quirk that used to annoy me; now I think it's kind of cute. We all have our little ways.

Here's one:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/01/paul-crouch-who-founded-trinity-broadcasting-network-and-made-millions-off-the-backs-of-gullible-viewers-is-dead/

Of course, its possible he heard about it on the radio...
Go on up you baldhead.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »

Link?

Of course, its possible he heard about it on the radio...

I think Nick gets most of his news from TV or the newspaper rather than online.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-1
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
^^^What is this "radio" and "television" you speak of? Us old folks just can't keep up these days...

As to the OP, can't say I'll miss him. I'm sure the cash-cow network he established will keep bilking people, unless it's badly mismanaged by his heirs.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
I have a question, Devils Advocate style:

Is a TV evangelist making money from donations any more morally reprehensible than the countless retailers and marketers selling consumeristic crap?
Go on up you baldhead.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 09:26:43 PM »

Is a TV evangelist making money from donations any more morally reprehensible than the countless retailers and marketers selling consumeristic crap?

Those who sell consumer crap don't tell you you will burn in hell if you don't buy their products. That's the difference.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »

When you are tricked into buying a box of consumeristic crap and get it home, when you open it up there had better be something in the box. A pair of jeans, a laptop, a candy bar, a baseball cap, a supersonic toothbrush disinfectant. Whatever. Or else you can sue the company for fraud.

And the company can't get off by saying, "It was a spiritual pair of jeans, laptop, candy bar, baseball cap, supersonic toothbrush disinfectant. Much, much better than what you thought you were getting. You now have a pair of jeans, laptop, candy bar, baseball cap, supersonic toothbrush disinfectant stored up in heaven. And, no, we don't pay taxes, and no, we don't have to tell you what we did with all the money. God wanted us to have that stretch Hummer/private jet/6th mansion/personal island. We are all about the profits, I mean the prophets. Now, let us prey, I mean pray. Look over there-- a sinner!" (Picks your pocket.)

No way would a legit retailer be able to stay in business acting the way tv evangelists do.

And doesn't it seem strange that ordinary capitalistic morally reprehensible scammers compare so favorably with those supposedly guided by the one true god? Atheist Bill Gates acts more ethically, is more moral in his personal life and follows the law better than any of these a$$holes.[1] It's almost as if the one true god doesn't care what people do in his name. Or maybe he does not really exist.
 1. I could name many other atheists and say the same.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »

Those who sell consumer crap don't tell you you will burn in hell if you don't buy their products. That's the difference.

-Nam

That's a point of difference, true, although thankfully I don't know to what extent TV evenagelists use the hell card.

A major comparison seems to be that both are selling you something to fill a need in your life that may not necessarily need filling, and that you were unaware of until it was pointed out.
Go on up you baldhead.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-1
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »

-Nam

Additionally, if those producing and selling said consumer crap can be shown to have ripped their customers off with malice aforethought, they will be fined and perhaps imprisoned. Ripping off the credulous under the guise of religion is safer; offhand I can't recall many successful lawsuits against religious leaders for services not rendered.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
Also, I can return said consumerist crap to the store if it does not perform as advertised, fit, or give me warm fuzzies down my leg.  I have yet to get a refund for all the money I sent my former church (although I did ask - in writing - and never got a response).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:14:09 PM by neopagan »
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »

-Nam

That's a point of difference, true, although thankfully I don't know to what extent TV evenagelists use the hell card.

A major comparison seems to be that both are selling you something to fill a need in your life that may not necessarily need filling, and that you were unaware of until it was pointed out.

Sounds like a heroin dealer..... :P

And similar to tv evangelists, they also don't pay taxes, respect their customers or give refunds.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »

-Nam

I don't think so quite. It is afterlife insurance. A more direct equivalency would be people paying into a fund for an annuity for their old age, but the fund just buys worthless stock of sham companies that the fund manager owns. So when the person is ready to claim what they've been working and paying for their entire life...nothing is there.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »

-Nam

I don't think so quite. It is afterlife insurance. A more direct equivalency would be people paying into a fund for an annuity for their old age, but the fund just buys worthless stock of sham companies that the fund manager owns. So when the person is ready to claim what they've been working and paying for their entire life...nothing is there.

But while they are alive the presence of that fund fills a need in their life to feel secure about retirement. The later disappointment doesn't affect the need being fulfilled in the meantime.

With material possessions, a person might actually be able to physically see and touch that new ultra HD TV but it won't ultimately bring any sort of happiness - they will start to feel dis-stisfied as soon as the new ultra ultra extra HD TV hits the stores.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »
It is afterlife insurance. A more direct equivalency would be people paying into a fund for an annuity for their old age, but the fund just buys worthless stock of sham companies that the fund manager owns. So when the person is ready to claim what they've been working and paying for their entire life...nothing is there.

But while they are alive the presence of that fund fills a need in their life to feel secure about retirement. The later disappointment doesn't affect the need being fulfilled in the meantime.

Sure. However, is that a good excuse for the scam?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
It is afterlife insurance. A more direct equivalency would be people paying into a fund for an annuity for their old age, but the fund just buys worthless stock of sham companies that the fund manager owns. So when the person is ready to claim what they've been working and paying for their entire life...nothing is there.

Sure. However, is that a good excuse for the scam?

It is not.

Does anybody support my suggestion that retailers and (probably more so) marketers, whilst ostensibly selling you a physical product which does what is promised, are actually selling you nothing but the latest installment in your fruitless quest to gain lasting happiness?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
Does anybody support my suggestion that retailers and (probably more so) marketers, whilst ostensibly selling you a physical product which does what is promised, are actually selling you nothing but the latest installment in your fruitless quest to gain lasting happiness?
With a slight modification I agree: "...are actually trying to sell you nothing but the latest installment in your fruitless quest to gain lasting happiness?" It's a choice to purchase.

But you can't argue that you are not getting a product in exchange for your money. Whether or not that product gives you the happiness you expect it to isn't the question, the question is whether or not you get anything at all.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
And just for the record, I don't see much of a difference between marketers and ministers.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
And just for the record, I don't see much of a difference between marketers and ministers.

The majority of ministers wholeheartedly believe that they are telling you the truth and are telling you the only way possible to ever be truly fulfilled. Marketers, not so much.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

The majority of ministers wholeheartedly believe that they are telling you the truth and are telling you the only way possible to ever be truly fulfilled. Marketers, not so much.
Bold mine - I stated it is MY perception of them, not their own perception of themselves.

I'm well aware that one can "lie" without lying if one believes one is stating the truth - but that doesn't make it so. That's why I didn't say that anyone is lying.

And this link might demonstrate that you are less correct than you think: http://www.clergyproject.org/  I've had the opportunity to meet a few of the members of this organization and hear their stories first hand.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
Point taken.

As for the link, it doesn't really tell me a lot. Even if all 535 members of that community really are who they say (lets not abandon healthy skeptiism), there are probably more ministers than that just in my city of Brisbane, which has about .0005 % of the worlds population.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
^^^I'd move.

Edited to add: snark, obviously

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
Whether consumer goods ultimately bring happiness or not is a matter of opinion. But producing happiness is not the purpose of the consumer good. The consumer good has to perform the way the seller says it will perform. A candy bar has to have sugar, peanuts and chocolate in it if that is what the seller says it has. A pair of jeans has to have two leg holes and reach from your waist to the ankle. A car has to start and get you from point a to point b. A tv has to turn on and show you entertainment. A computer has to connect you to the internet and send email. And so on.

No matter who you are, the product has to work for you the same way the seller says it will. If not, the seller is a fraud. Most consumer goods in real life don't operate on faith.

The Faith Based Car: a Parable

Suppose you buy a new car, the FaithmobileTM because it was the kind your parents drove. You remember it having a few problems, but it ran most of the time. However after many attempts, your new FaithmobileTM just won't run.

You go to the seller and complain. The seller says that the  FaithmobileTM only runs for people who have enough faith in it. They have to show their faith by getting down on their knees in front of the car and reciting the first words of the car manual each morning. You vaguely remember, back when you were little, your dad and mom doing that-- and making you join in sometimes so the car would start.

You roll your eyes and try it, what the hey, right? But the car still does not run.

You read the manual cover to cover and can't find anything that explains why it won't run. How much faith is enough to make the car run? Nobody can tell you. But if the car doesn't run, then clearly you don't have enough.

You then look up the stats on this make of car and find out that less than a third of the people who buy one are able to make it start. The other two-thirds end up returning the useless car but never get their money back. The seller now says that the car only runs for people who truly believe in the car, and sincerely welcome the car into their hearts, as well as have enough faith. What? You wonder how this car company stays in business.

You find some of the people who managed to get their car to start. They all get down and recite in front of the car just like you did. And their car starts--for some almost every day, for others, about half the time. They all admit that they don't have 100% faith in their cars, and that is why they can't get the cars to start every single day. It is all their fault-- they are not perfect owners, or else the car would always run.

You are stunned. You ask them why they feel solely responsible rather then the seller or the maker of the car. They don't answer directly, but all name this one guy who bought the car years before who could always get it to go-- he was the perfect owner. His name and photo are even in the back of the car manual. But nobody knows how to get in touch with him anymore to find out his secret. If he could always get the car going, they could, too. If they have enough faith in the car. They just have to keep on trying. Can't lose faith or then the car really won't start. Ever.

And even though it doesn't run a lot of the time, they are all going to pass the car along to their kids.....

There is a new car out called the  SciencemobileTM. It costs a bit more than the FaithmobileTM, but it starts 98% of the time, or your money back. No bowing or reciting or having faith. It just runs for everyone. You are going to get one. "Well," your FaithmobileTMfriends say, "sure the SciencemobileTM can work as a back-up car, but you still have to keep your FaithmobileTM as the main car."

You are even more amazed at how gullible these people are. You tell them they are being scammed and cheated. You ask why they don't just scrap the clearly dysfunctional piece of crap and buy a car that actually starts every time and runs well. That is what you are going to do.  "The FaithmobileTM doesn't work," you shout in exasperation.  "Why do I want to keep putting energy, time and money into something that does not work?"

They look at you as though you have sprouted horns and a tail.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »
Point taken.

As for the link, it doesn't really tell me a lot. Even if all 535 members of that community really are who they say (lets not abandon healthy skeptiism), there are probably more ministers than that just in my city of Brisbane, which has about .0005 % of the worlds population.

What would it mean to have "healthy skepticism" about the clergy project? Why would clergy publicly say they have lost their faith in god if they still have that faith? What would be the point of that? Maybe a few people think they need masochistic punishment, and there is no Inquisition anymore.

The numbers are not large, so they are probably not inflated by fakers! It is probably much more likely that there are many, many more clergy out there terrified of coming out as faithless atheists who continue to go through the motions. The accounts I have read seem pretty heartfelt and painfully sincere.

Just like people telling us we are not really atheists, just mad at god. If we believed in god, wouldn't we be scared to insult him by pretending to be atheists--wouldn't that guarantee a trip to hell?

Telling people publicly that you have lost your faith would be like coming out as gay in a small conservative town. You risk losing your family and friends, losing your job, getting insulted, stalked, harassed and beaten up. Why would you do that if it was not true?

Would straight people pretend to be gay in strict anti-gay countries? There are a lot of gay people who don't dare tell the truth.  Would whites pretend to be black in slavery days? In more racist times, lots of black people (who could) pretended to be white, but hardly any whites pretended to be black. A few did for research on race, to write books. I have never heard of anyone doing it just because. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

So, I would give the clergy project the benefit of the doubt, pun intended.