Author Topic: King Range National Conservation Area  (Read 172 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
King Range National Conservation Area
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
I get angst every once in a while and plan tangents, which many times my wife talks me out of.  My latest is to hike a section of California coast called the lost coast trail.  So rugged, the pacific coast highway builders gave up on the area.  We don't do enough living out of our comfort zone, and this is one we are considering.   It sounds like you need a tide map since some places the cliffs during high tide are too dangerous.  And it sounds like the bears can be a problem.  And oh yeah, we certainly don't have the money, but.... 

Found this video:

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Re: King Range National Conservation Area
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »
shnozz

Looks like a great adventure to me. I grew up in the Northwest and had never heard of the place.

If you have camping equipment, your only costs should be travel and food (and I do hope you eat healthier stuff than the guys who made the video eat). Bears are probably only a problem around campground and in areas where people go a lot. Bers further from campgrounds are less used to people and less likely to be a problem. That said, I would still take the suggested precautions.

In my many years of hiking in the Northwest, I've only come across three bears. All turned and ran. But that doesn't mean they won't putter around in your camp at night. Though I never had that problem. Except when hiking along the Appalachian trail. Far, far away.

The one thing I'd check on is marijuana growers. They are rampant in that region of California, and it helps to know the rules, written and unwritten. I know that the Forest Service in that area has literature that says specifically that if you come across a cultivated marijuana field, first you speak up very loudly and say that you are hikers and that you are leaving, and then you add that you will not report the find. And the literature asks you not to report it. That unwritten agreement between the growers and the Forest Service/hikers has kept the peace in the area for a couple of decades. Just be aware.

Needless to say, taking free samples is discouraged.  ;D

I'm not kidding about this. Google it and you will see numerous stories on the subject. But I'm guessing if you stay as close to the beach as possible, you'll probably not see anything like that. The bad guys are probably a little bit more out of the way.

The coast in that region has amazingly consistent weather. Highs in the 50's every day in the winter, highs in the 60's, low 70's often in the summer. So it is seldom cold, and seldom warm, but it sure can get wet. And hiking through the rain through wet brush and moss and mud, while adventurous, can cause a person to wonder about their sanity. And maybe make them think about smoking certain varieties of herbs. Just sayin'.

Oh yea, and I don't know where you live, but the coast is famous for its huge slimy slugs. Don't step on them. Both for their sake and so that you don't have slug goo on the bottom of your shoes for the rest of the trip. It is almost impossible to clean the gooey stuff they are made out of off of anything. And too, building campfires can be real hard when everything is soaking wet. Its possible, but you need to know how. Carry stoves for cooking just in case that is a problem.

But do it and tell us how it went. Those of us with our butts glued to the chair in front of our computer screen want to know. Especially about the pot growing bears.

PP

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: King Range National Conservation Area
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
A gorgeous area that some good friends of mine have been to several times, in recent years with their young daughter. They've told of many adventures, but no significant incidents with pot-growing bears.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius