Author Topic: Ohio Amish girl in chemo case doing well  (Read 132 times)

Offline shnozzola

Ohio Amish girl in chemo case doing well
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
AKRON, Ohio (AP) — An Amish girl with leukemia spent time at a natural cancer treatment center in Central America after she left home with her parents in Ohio to avoid being forced to resume chemotherapy treatments, the girl's grandfather said.

Doctors say her leukemia is treatable, but say she will die within a year without chemotherapy. The hospital sought to force treatment after the family opted to try natural medicines, such as herbs and vitamins.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20131129/US-Chemotherapy-Stopped-Amish/
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Ohio Amish girl in chemo case doing well
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »
Hospitals shouldn't force things on people when it comes to things like this; the state should. As a child, not if she were an adult.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
Sad that a sick kid's life is in the balance. From the linked article:
Keim said that CT scans and blood tests show that the natural treatments are working. He said she is cancer-free.

"She's a vibrant, healthy girl," Keim said.

If those scans and blood tests could be evaluated by other health professionals, that would surely help the family's case. If the evidence is that this "natural" treatment is working, then let others see it.

Chemotherapy takes a terrible toll on the body, no argument. I can imagine going off it would feel pretty good. And to a degree I can sympathize with the parents being desperate to try anything that might cure her condition without the suffering of chemotherapy. But it sounds like this girl's cancer might well kill her without that treatment.

Hospitals shouldn't force things on people when it comes to things like this; the state should. As a child, not if she were an adult.

-Nam

That aspect of it is troubling, I agree.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »
They will fight for the unborn yet let the living die due to superstition. .
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!