Author Topic: Mormon minister in Salt Lake, disguises himself as homeless outside his church  (Read 587 times)

Offline shnozzola

Some people went out of their way to tell him the church was not a place to ask for charity, and he was not welcome on the property.  Although the children were especially kind.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=247825783&m=247826210
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Too funny.  Points out everything that is wrong with the American religious church.  They would treat Jesus Himself like that if he came back (that is if He were capable of coming back).
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
ROFLMAO

what did he expect?

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Lol how did he make it past security?

Those crazy Mormons.

I often wonder what would happen if churches opened their doors to the homeless on weekdays. Or if they hid them away in the basement on Sundays. Allowing them to attend services of course. Would kind loving church folk be cool with that?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Couldn't read the article, it reverted to the front page for mobile users. Oh well.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline shnozzola

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
Is it just me, or does he look kinda like Sye in pic 1?

According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Bet he starts to get fall out from his flock looking bad. 
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline churchgoingatheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
And how many of those people know the story of the good samaritan, right?  All the self-righteous religious leaders pass by the guy on the road.  It's great to kick that story around during the children's hour and send money to Africa for starving children and other pat-ourselves-on-the-back kind of charity, but it's clear the message hasn't sunk in.  Or at least it sinks in to the same proportion of people in church as it does for non-churchgoers, I would imagine. 

Mormons.  hmph.  If the person in need is in some faraway country that they can evangelize, great.  But it better not be an illegal immigrant in the USA or a vulnerable, pregnant, unwed teenager.  Or a vulnerable, pregnant, wedded teenager, for that matter.

Offline RED_ApeTHEIST

• Student
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Hyperintelligent Orangutan

Those crazy Mormons.

I often wonder what would happen if churches opened their doors to the homeless on weekdays. Or if they hid them away in the basement on Sundays. Allowing them to attend services of course. Would kind loving church folk be cool with that?

I worked security at a church for better than a decade, and one of the few things we had to do consistanly was chase panhandlers off.

Respectable hardworking church folks don't want to have to deal with homeless people,  and the elders and staff know it. They know damn well that if they don't chase off the homeless, then those same respectable churchgoers will find a new congregation with less hobostank .
The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." - Terry Pratchet

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
The followers sure capture the "spirit" of this Jesus character they pretend to be like don't they?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
The followers sure capture the "spirit" of this Jesus character they pretend to be like don't they?

Mark 14:1-7
New International Version (NIV)
3 While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.

4 Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, “Why this waste of perfume? 5 It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages[a] and the money given to the poor.” And they rebuked her harshly.

6 “Leave her alone,” said Jesus. “Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 7 The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me.
- Jesus

Offline snotnosetommy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
This has been a fad for the past couple of years in some of the mega or mega-wannabe churches.  They all roll about the same way this one does.

And, of course security chases them away - wouldn't want the flock's dollars going directly to someone who needs it - must "filter" it through the church...so it's...uh...blessed, right?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program

Those crazy Mormons.

I worked security at a church for better than a decade, and one of the few things we had to do consistanly was chase panhandlers off.

Respectable hardworking church folks don't want to have to deal with homeless people,  and the elders and staff know it. They know damn well that if they don't chase off the homeless, then those same respectable churchgoers will find a new congregation with less hobostank .

Or, as my sister[1] termed it during the years she worked in a shelter, the "eau de 'omeless". The long-timers warned the younger guys about staying clean no matter how hard it was to find bathing facilities, because nothing marks you off as one of the great unwashed like being unwashed. And being consistently smelly damages people psychologically because they have to accept that they are not just unemployable, but unwanted and unpleasant to be around.
 1. She specialized in working with the deaf homeless population--talk about a sub-sub-sub-culture! But only in sign. ;)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.