Author Topic: "Corporate religion eyed in birth control case"  (Read 905 times)

Offline shnozzola

"Corporate religion eyed in birth control case"
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
Rachel Maddow last night.
Start with the 18 minute video at about minute 1:30.  I'm not sure if this youtube video will continue to work.  Anyway, the US Supremes have taken the case and will pronounce judgement next June.

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: "Corporate religion eyed in birth control case"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
This topic makes me insane. I believe it makes me crazy because I truly don’t get it. I understand a pro life stance. They see a fetus as a person and that is fine… I get it. Preventing ovulation from occurring is an abortion because… um… WTF? Even Plan B which prevents ovulation (a very expensive pill that comes in a silly large box) doesn’t kill anything either. It prevents abortion!
And who are they to say what I can and can’t do with my life and my family or lack thereof?  Again if they see pro choice as murder I disagree but I understand what they are saying at least. I don’t think I will ever understand how birth control pills are made by the devil and “give you permission to be a whore”- thanks for that gem Rick Santorum. My wife uses contraceptives so is that weasel fucking jesus freak calling my wife a whore?
Yet I can go and buy a box of condoms and no one has an issue with this? I can buy two boxes of condoms and Ricky S and his buddies have said not one thing about my intentions with my overwhelmingly ridiculous condom stash. My potential baby smashers. Man gravy dams.

And the cat lady guest hit the nail on the head. So now corporations have more of a say in elections than I do because they can throw more money at a candidate than I will ever make in my life. Now on top of that if my employer is a nut he gets to decide if I will have kids, when I have kids, and why stop there? Why not drop by my house and make sure there is no sodomy going on. You know like the Cooch down in VA wanted to do. So is the average American worker officially a corporate drone? This is starting to sound like a Fear Factory song… Yay small government party and freedom of religion.

When did religion place people above the law? When did one persons religion make life choices for others of different religions? It seems like we are just years away from becoming a theocracy sometimes.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 04:40:20 AM »
I DVR her show. I already saw it. She makes great points.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »
Prediction...5-4 in favor of corporations.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »
This topic makes me insane. I believe it makes me crazy because I truly don’t get it. I understand a pro life stance. They see a fetus as a person and that is fine… I get it. Preventing ovulation from occurring is an abortion because… um… WTF? Even Plan B which prevents ovulation (a very expensive pill that comes in a silly large box) doesn’t kill anything either. It prevents abortion!  ...

Once you abandon the bolded as an explanation for their stance, it becomes a lot less crazy.  Preventing pregnancy is preventing a woman's natural role in the universe, from their perspective.  And preventing any negative consequences of her having sex for non-procreative reasons is immoral.  If she has sex for pleasure, she must be punished.  Unwanted pregnancy is a convenient and natural punishment.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
Once you abandon the bolded as an explanation for their stance, it becomes a lot less crazy.
Sure… but that’s not what the signs says. Many of them state that the pill kills it’s an abortion. It prevents life thus an abortion. So it’s still crazy.
Others of them claim the pill causes cancer and other health problems which actually has some truth to it. But they are not the nut jobs I am talking about.

Preventing pregnancy is preventing a woman's natural role in the universe, from their perspective.  And preventing any negative consequences of her having sex for non-procreative reasons is immoral.  If she has sex for pleasure, she must be punished.  Unwanted pregnancy is a convenient and natural punishment.
And this makes sense to you? Maybe I am just a lil slow but this makes zero sense to me.
So if I were a career woman who was married and believed/knew I had no time to raise a child or any interest in having one I should be punished? Perhaps because I was married but not interested in having kids I should be forbidden from having sex with my husband. May I remind you that these people vote…

PS I am not accusing you of prescribing to this idea or claiming you support it in any way.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
It makes sense to me as a way of explaining the views of right-wing religious folk, given the Bible's view of women.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
It makes sense to me as a way of explaining the views of right-wing religious folk, given the Bible's view of women.
And modern women in the year 2013 nearly 2014 accept this…

I understand what you are saying. I think I just can’t wrap my head around the views of right wing religious folk. Where freedom and democracy are great but we need to be a theocracy. They are conflicting ideologies correct? And how could someone be so concerned about what others are up to in the privacy of their own home? Within the realms of this subject.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »
Prediction...5-4 in favor of corporations.

They are people, too.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »
Should corporations be forced to have children?  :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
And modern women in the year 2013 nearly 2014 accept this…

I understand what you are saying. I think I just can’t wrap my head around the views of right wing religious folk. Where freedom and democracy are great but we need to be a theocracy. They are conflicting ideologies correct? And how could someone be so concerned about what others are up to in the privacy of their own home? Within the realms of this subject.

Freedom as an ideology tends only to apply in practice to those holding that ideology.  The same sort of self-centric attitude is seen in the "separation-of-other-churches-and-state" position taken by many religious folk when it comes to the secularism of government.

When it comes to abortion, the real moral crime isn't the killing of the unborn, it's the perceived sexual promiscuty that led to it.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »
Freedom as an ideology tends only to apply in practice to those holding that ideology.  The same sort of self-centric attitude is seen in the "separation-of-other-churches-and-state" position taken by many religious folk when it comes to the secularism of government.

It's always the Christian religion that shouldn't be separate from the state, mostly the non-Catholic variety, eh? Wouldn't Protestants be annoyed if Catholics demanded that only fish be served on Friday and wouldn't they be completely vexed if Jews (God's chosen people, after all) required the prohibition of pork? Suddenly the separation of church and state looks better. But until the other religions come forward and demand things, this separation of church and state seems so ungodly to Church Lady.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
Yes, each corporation will now put in place policies for all employees to follow:

1.  Must have 7 kids to please the Mormon god.

2. Must not eat meat on Friday to please the Catholic God.

3. Must give 10% to the church...oh, don't worry about that...we will just deduct that from your check each pay period.

4. Goal for all: control, conform, live your life for the corporation according to its desires.  The New and Improved American Dream.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
Yes, each corporation will now put in place policies for all employees to follow:

3. Must give 10% to the church...oh, don't worry about that...we will just deduct that from your check each pay period.

4. Goal for all: control, conform, live your life for the corporation according to its desires.  The New and Improved American Dream.

Bold mine, and I predict that this is the point at which people will finally wake up and start screaming. Sadly, I'm not expecting it until then.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »

Bold mine, and I predict that this is the point at which people will finally wake up and start screaming. Sadly, I'm not expecting it until then.

Many churches already do this. I know some in Orlando that do it.

-Nam

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »
When did religion place people above the law?

Typically about 5 minutes after the religion is invented.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz