Author Topic: Facebook trash  (Read 4321 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Facebook trash
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »
skeptic,

Because you put your hands over your ears, close your eyes and run around this forum going, "I am right, I am right!" with no evidence to back up anything you say.

-Nam

please define "evidence," Nam. Is it only collected through the senses?

So what was the universe like with no senses around to experience it? Everything we know is only defined by minds. Without minds, what can one know?

You can't explain anything to an idiot. They don't have the ability to differentiate between what they believe is correct to what is actually correct. People have tried with you countless times always ending that you are the only one right and they wrong. You are always correct, never wrong. Therefore you're an idiot and attempting to explain anything to you is a waste of time because you live by the philosophy of, "I'm rubber your glue.".

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-449
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »
skeptic,

Because you put your hands over your ears, close your eyes and run around this forum going, "I am right, I am right!" with no evidence to back up anything you say.

-Nam

So what was the universe like with no senses around to experience it? Everything we know is only defined by minds. Without minds, what can one know?

https://www.google.com/#q=Evidence What do you have to provide?

Now we are getting somewhere!

OK, how do we know if something is true or false?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-449
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
skeptic,

-Nam

You can't explain anything to an idiot. They don't have the ability to differentiate between what they believe is correct to what is actually correct. People have tried with you countless times always ending that you are the only one right and they wrong. You are always correct, never wrong. Therefore you're an idiot and attempting to explain anything to you is a waste of time because you live by the philosophy of, "I'm rubber your glue.".

-Nam

Please define "correct," Nam.

Since everything is known through minds, one can not logically say what happened before minds were around, nor can they describe it. It's a futile and nonsensical effort.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »
Fallacy.

Just because people think the Greek gods are myths doesn't mean Yahweh is a myth.

6 Billion people on this planet think YHWH is a myth. Has just as much proof as Zeus, Thor, Allah, Krishna, Annunaki, etc. Natlegend asked before how you are able to tell with specific proof that your god is the real god and proof that they are not... but you kept whining that, "All you gotta do is believe in Jesus and do what he says. I cannot get any simpler than that!" Which of course, doesn't answer the question at all.

Don't be saying "fallacy" when your god ranks up there with leprechauns, ghosts, Allah, vampires and many many more.

because there is only one God. Polytheism is a sham. Ever try having more than one Captain on a ship? it isn't pretty.

Sooooo close. You're only off by one in the "how many gods" issue. Of course polytheism is a sham. As is monotheism. If we were actually on a ship, having a captain might be relevant. We're on a planet, flying through space at 66,000 miles per hour in its orbit around the sun, and our solar system is traveling at around 483,000 miles an hour around the galactic center, and we got no steering, my friend. So we don't need a captain. Which is a good thing, since there isn't one anyway.

Interesting aside: Monotheistic religions tended to crop up in arid regions, and polytheistic religions tended to arise in lush areas. In other words, when the environment was harsh, the natives imagined one hard-assed god. When the environment was more pleasant, they came up with multiple gods, to help deal with all the variation in their world.

This isn't a universal truth. There are exceptions. But that was the tendency of ancient civilizations as they confronted reality and made up stuff to help deal with it.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
skep, we're NOT going to play these games, quit it now.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
skeptic,

-Nam

-Nam

Please define "correct," Nam.

Since everything is known through minds, one can not logically say what happened before minds were around, nor can they describe it. It's a futile and nonsensical effort.

Didn't read one thing I said.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
Without minds, what can one know?

You'll have to answer that one for us.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
Critical thinking skills, guys! Cmon!

irony.

jesus said "it is finished" on the cross when he gave up the ghost. How could Muhammad be a prophet if everything was finished?

Mohammed is Allah's final prophet. He sent Mohammed because everyone before him messed up, one way or another. The Quran says so. Jesus wasn't divine. He was just another prophet of Allah that failed somewhere. Only Allah knows everything so he knows where Jesus messed up and knew before hand that Mohammed would be his final prophet and even named the book the scriptures would be put in. YHWH had no idea it would be called the bible, but Mohammed, Allah be praised, let Allah guide his hands and wrote the name of the Holy Quran within scripture.

Sheesh. This is so simple.

It sure is, praise Allah.

edit: sp
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:53:52 PM by Ivellios »

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-449
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »

irony.

jesus said "it is finished" on the cross when he gave up the ghost. How could Muhammad be a prophet if everything was finished?

Mohammed is Allah's final prophet. He sent Mohammed because everyone before him messed up, one way or another. The Quran says so. Jeus wasn't divine. He was just another prophet of Allah that failed somewhere. Only Allah knows everything so he knows where Jesus messed up and knew before hand that Mohammed would be his final prophet and even named the book the scriptures would be put in. YHWH had no idea it would be called the bible, but Mohammed, Allah be praised, let Allah guide his hands and wrote the name of the Holy Quran within scripture.

It sure is, praise Allah.

Nothing but a bunch of ad hocs.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »

I do believe, old bean, that that was the whole point of his post.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »

Mohammed is Allah's final prophet. He sent Mohammed because everyone before him messed up, one way or another.

Paul was Allah's second final prophet. He sent Paul, because Jesus got the message wrong, and was illiterate.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »

6 Billion people on this planet think YHWH is a myth. Has just as much proof as Zeus, Thor, Allah, Krishna, Annunaki, etc. Natlegend asked before how you are able to tell with specific proof that your god is the real god and proof that they are not... but you kept whining that, "All you gotta do is believe in Jesus and do what he says. I cannot get any simpler than that!" Which of course, doesn't answer the question at all.

Don't be saying "fallacy" when your god ranks up there with leprechauns, ghosts, Allah, vampires and many many more.

because there is only one God. Polytheism is a sham. Ever try having more than one Captain on a ship? it isn't pretty.

You responded to my post but ignored the bolded portion. I was hoping you had a link to you answering Natlegend's question with an actual answer. Specific proof that your god is the one god and specific proof that all the other gods are demons. So, I take it that this was another dodge? There are people I would like to see again after I die and be in a paradise to make up for my drudgery, but I need actual specific proof... after all, why waste time worshiping the wrong god, or the right god the wrong way? Maybe the one true god is depicted on a hillside in England as shown in Religulous?

So, in order to convince me, you need something more than what you would need to convince a gullible bandwagoner.

Edit: To those that missed it, (in another thread) Natlegend actually asked a multi-part question, but Skeptic kept being hung up on something that still didn't answer the part he thought he was answering.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:10:07 PM by Ivellios »

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +67/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
Edit: To those that missed it, (in another thread) Natlegend actually asked a multi-part question, but Skeptic kept being hung up on something that still didn't answer the part he thought he was answering.

Thanks for bringing that up again. I am getting tired of asking it so I'm just not bothering anymore.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »
skeptic, I am glad that you are continuing to participate here, and I have therefore been patient with your dodging and weaving. I have not once, to my knowledge, "called you outta your name" (as we used to say in the 'hood) just because you and I disagree. I have challenged your points, but have not attacked you personally--except the one time when you made the mistake of getting in my face.

You try to push the discussion away from concrete issues into vague metaphysical areas with bs questions that people can debate for years, sh!t like "how do we know anything is real?" and "what is truth?" and "how can we know what was here before the universe was formed?" We have been through this exact same dance over the years with other believers. Metaphysics seems to be where they all end up when they can't answer the questions.

And you insist that science can't tell us this about the brain, or that about love, or the other thing about the age of the earth, when a 2-minute google search would give you hundreds of pages about all the ways that scientists have found out exactly the thing you say they cannot do.[1]

That is what really makes me tired of you-- you want us to do all the work for you and then when we do, you just dismiss it and change the subject. Do you really think that is going to convince any of us that you have the answers?

Yet you refuse to respond to direct questions that should be simple for you to answer, like:
1)how do you know what the bible says is the truth?
2)how can you tell what a parable is and how to correctly interpret it?

And the classic asked here many times, many ways:
3)how do you know you are worshiping the right god?[2]

Now, I predict that you will grab onto one small throwaway part of this post and refuse to address the main point. Please prove me wrong.
 1. The irony of dismissing scientific endeavor out of hand ON THE EFFING INTERNET almost makes my brain explode. But I digress.
 2. and no, saying look in the bible or that there is only one god so of course you are worshiping the right one will not cut it--the Catholics, Muslims, Zoroastrians, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists and JW's also say there is only one god, and some even look in the bible, but you clearly think all of them are wrong
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »

Fallacy.

Just because people think the Greek gods are myths doesn't mean Yahweh is a myth.

While the second sentence is true, WHICH fallacy did he engage in? Little hint; he didn't. Just because you don't like it does not mean it is a fallacy.

And while the second sentence is true, it leads us to the question; show us some concrete proof for Yahweh that couldn't also be used for the Greek gods, or you are guilty of "special pleading" which is actually a fallacy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:32:23 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2013, 11:30:02 PM »

Now we are getting somewhere!

OK, how do we know if something is true or false?

Unambiguous evidence. Evidence that does not fly in the face of what our senses tel us, until it meets a burden of proof of being verified and tested in a method that reduces bias and is not culturally dependent in an effort to be objective as possible.

i.e. Giraffes are real.
I don't see a giraffe.
Here is a picture of one, and the bones, and the genetic structure, some books discussing there habit written by multiple authors that generally agree with each other and were independently written from each other

or Unicorns are real
I don't see a Unicorn.
Here's an old book that talks about them, don't look at the books that describe them completely differently. Mention that Rainbows come from unicorns. You can't see a Unicorn because they only are seen by those the unicorn chooses to be seen by.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »

Yes, it is "simple" for you to make assumptions about your presupposed theology and expect others to follow you down that road. We got that part. Sorry, your saying so doesn't make it true.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »

Uhh...you are stating people are not engaging in critical thinking for not accepting your circular argument? Wow. That's amazingly stupid.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +197/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:26 AM »

Not to toot my own horn, but even magicmiles has come to my defense saying that I have been very Christlike in the face of all the hatred. This should count for something.
Why?

Because I can compare his conduct with my own. In terms of responding in the face of insults, it is much more Christ-like.
I should have been more explicit. I'm sorry mm, that came off rather rude and that wasn't my intent.

I meant "Why should mm's opinion of skep influence anyone elses?" My opinion of skep certainly hasn't swayed mm ;) , nor should it.

This doesn't need a response, I just didn't want to leave it as it stood as I had expressed myself badly and was rude without intending to be.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +197/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2013, 12:32:20 AM »
Calling someone a troll is the last resort of the defeated.
He's so cute when he gets huffy. Makes me just want to pinch his cheeks ... maybe till he cries.
Besides, why does it automatically mean that if someone has different beliefs they are a troll?
Pfft.
Attack the argument, not the man, please.
Has he made one yet?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2013, 12:34:55 AM »
Calling someone a troll is the last resort of the defeated.
He's so cute when he gets huffy. Makes me just want to pinch his cheeks ... maybe till he cries.
Besides, why does it automatically mean that if someone has different beliefs they are a troll?
Pfft.
Attack the argument, not the man, please.
Has he made one yet?

I almost made him cry. Now he's given me a tool to use against him in the future. Of course, he's a tool...retrospect.

-Nam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2013, 12:42:53 AM »

At least when Miles ducks out of questions, he says he has some work to do.

I always do have work to do. Sometimes I even do it.

And I almost always return to the bigger questions, eventually. It really is hard to keep up you know.

In between times I do 'hit and run' missions where I can add my 2 cents to threads where not a huge amount of thought is required.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2013, 02:32:07 AM »

How so? Time constraints prevent me from looking all these up, but I'll give you a few ...

Mohammed is Allah's final prophet.

http://quran.com/33/40

He sent Mohammed because everyone before him messed up, one way or another. The Quran says so.

http://quran.com/5/12-15

Jeus wasn't divine. He was just another prophet of Allah that failed somewhere.

http://quran.com/19/30-33

Only Allah knows everything so he knows where Jesus messed up and knew before hand that Mohammed would be his final prophet and even named the book the scriptures would be put in. YHWH had no idea it would be called the bible, but Mohammed, Allah be praised, let Allah guide his hands and wrote the name of the Holy Quran within scripture.

Ivellios 3 - Skep 0
I'd say
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »

How so? Time constraints prevent me from looking all these up, but I'll give you a few ...

Mohammed is Allah's final prophet.

Only Allah knows everything

This verse also mentions the All-Knowing aspect of Allah.

But until proven otherwise, to me, both the Holy Quran and the Bible are made up. There are things in both of them that do not reflect reality. (Earth being flat, for one.)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »

This verse also mentions the All-Knowing aspect of Allah.

Yeah, but I was hoping to quote of a different one, where Allah goes, "only I can make a perfect Sura. Go on, try to make a Sure, you can't now can you, I dare you, I double dare you!" but couldn't off the top of my head remember, even remotely, where that appears.

But until proven otherwise, to me, both the Holy Quran and the Bible are made up. There are things in both of them that do not reflect reality. (Earth being flat, for one.)

Hey, no argument from me, it's just, and I've asked Skep this multiple times, how can you, personal preference aside, accept the bible but not the quran?!
How can you know that christians are right and it's Satan that's messing with the Muslims and it's not the Muslims who are right and it's Iblis messing with the Christians.
Of course, for an Atheist, this is easily solved ... do either make sense? no? discard both. But for a christian/muslim ... all you can do is shout verses at eachother until the heat-death of the universe.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
In Mark, here's your answer:
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/2837/why-did-jesus-refer-to-gentiles-as-dogs

These answers are just a click away. It's just that some people's blind hatred of Christianity gets in the way.

It was an insult, but also a challenge. As one of the Fathers said, if you wish to test a man for pride, see if he can bear insult. It is important to consider that to the Jews of that time, Gentiles were 'dogs': they did not keep the law or even have the law, so they, like dogs, not only lived uncleanly but did not have the understanding (because they lacked the law) to even act in accordance with God's will, and thus were 'bestial'.

It demonstrated that true faith, as this woman had, was not barred by racism, phyletism, prejudice, class division, or any other thing. In his ironic use (given that he knew, as God, that she would overcome the insult) of this slur, he demonstrates that 'in him there is no Jew or Gentile, but all are one.'
My wife added this:

It was a compliment, because God knew beforehand she could bear the insult. If she would have been 'offended' and turn away, he would never have used the slur.

You do realize that the link you provided has the quote above as an answer to Jesus being racist. This Christian apologetic ILLogic is so sad that it's not even funny anymore. These people rationalize insults into compliments people should be grateful for, unbelievable!

It's not that I hate Christianity Skeptic, it's simply that I can see reality without looking through dogma colored glasses that distort it. The Christian worldview REQUIRES a personal level of dissonance and dishonesty that causes one to distort the way they perceive reality in favor of what they believe and hope to be the truth. It literally views things backwards and sees insults as compliments.

Luke 19:27 is a parable. I'm not surprised you took it out of context.

How did I take it out of context? I'm willing to bet that you do not even know or understand the context it was written in.
         Sidebar- (If you wish to engage further, I am willing to show you how truly Biblically illiterate you are and how flawed your Biblical understanding is.)

Now pay attention, I want you to get this. The allegory of Luke 19 was intended to be an illustration depicting the fate of those that rejected Jesus as their king. That fate was slaughter, deal with it.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »
^^^^So, instead of being offended, skeptic should revel in the insults people here give him.   Jesus insulted people with racial slurs, so that makes it okay. The mean atheists are just imitating Jesus. WWJD!  :D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »
Hey, no argument from me, it's just, and I've asked Skep this multiple times, how can you, personal preference aside, accept the bible but not the quran?!

I should have been clearer. This part was directed at Skeptic. To remind him once again that some of us require proof, not just his words for it. If he actually read the bible he'd know Jesus isn't that lovey-dovey hippy people make him out to be.

How can you know that christians are right and it's Satan that's messing with the Muslims and it's not the Muslims who are right and it's Iblis messing with the Christians.
Of course, for an Atheist, this is easily solved ... do either make sense? no? discard both. But for a christian/muslim ... all you can do is shout verses at eachother until the heat-death of the universe.

There was once a TV show I saw, the main character of this particular episode kept switching between two parallel alternate realities. He was getting fed up because he couldn't tell which was the 'real' one. He expressed to someone his desire to figure which one it was and to stay there. The other person mentioned that there is a possible third option that he hadn't even considered. "If they both seem equally real, maybe neither of them are."

The bible and quran both have about a billion followers. Both have adherents that have never read it. Those who actually follow thier "holy book" are considered "radicals." When they do chance upon what it actually says, they have to make excuses why they don't follow it, while trying to make it appear that they are more faithful because they know the true 'hidden' meaning that meant something completely different than what it says. Everything between these two religions... rather the major religions, ll make the same claims, same "proofs," etc etc. Between these two things that seem equally real, Skeptical, other than predisposed into believing the bible, what makes you choose the bible instead of the Quran?

I bet he'll dodge this. He dodges all the stuff he'd need an All-Knowing god for. So, how many times has God left you hanging now?

I'm going to have to dig thru my dvd collection because I want to watch it again now. Favorite episode of the season.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »
There was once a TV show I saw, the main character of this particular episode kept switching between two parallel alternate realities.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839683/?ref_=nv_sr_6

I liked in particular the way he had a skeptical shrink in each reality, who tried to make a case that the other one was false.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.