Author Topic: Facebook trash  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
Re: Facebook trash
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
The Baal thing is funny
http://biblelight.net/wheel.htm

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »
Judging by the stories in the bible I have an extremely low opinion of the fabled character that is Jesus. However, there are two (or more) different characters... we have the one we can piece together using bible stories which I think is a complete moron and selfish prick with a little good sprinkled on top of it. Then there is the one that Christians claim is good... because they dont read the bible critically (or at all). Usually when an atheist says a Christian is not being christ-like they are comparing the Christian to the latter version, the myth of the myth, so that the Christian can actually understand. When I compare a Christian to the Jesus character its in a negative light because I see ol buddy as a terrible character.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »
mm,

Skeptic says:

Christians aren't hate-filled. This is how you know this guy is not a Christian.

This is an opinion.

If that is only an opinion, then it is also only an opinion when you say 'Atheists don't believe in God'.

There is a standard for being Christian and it's in the Bible.

Also an opinion.

If that is only an opinion, then it is also only an opinion to say the rules for WWGHA behaviour are found on the WWGHA website

Skeptic sees both as facts. Which is fine. However, clearly he's saying the guy in the video is not a Christian based on both quotes. He's saying the guy in the video is not a Christian because he says so. Not because what is actually in the Bible.

Skeptic is saying the guy on facebook is not a Christian based on his actions (which certainly appear to be motivated by hatred), and based on the fact that the bible clearly shows that a Christian is defined by acceptance of Jesus as saviour and a renewing of the heart. A renewing of the heart does not lead one to hatred.

Jesus espouses hateful things in the Bible

What's an example of one?

The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

You seem to completely miss his point. Skeptic doesn't expect to be considered a Christian by simply saying so. If his actions or if other evidence countered his claim he was a Christian, then you might have a case in saying he wasn't a Christian. From where I sit, he has been astoundingly Christ-like in the face of constant abuse and ridicule.

And you have absolutely no case in questioning whether he's a skeptic. He's just skeptical of different claims than you.

You are quite mistaken here. Skep stated early on that he named himself thus b/c he was "skeptical of atheism". That claim is absurd. Atheism is a lack of belief in a deity. So all his claim does it play word games. It's a dishonest way of trying to shift the burden of proof - as 'not believing non-belief' is indistinguishable from 'believing'. It's like saying "I don't not believe in a God"

A-"I'm skeptical of non-belief in Unicorns"

B-So you believe in Unicorns then?

A-"Uh..."

You've also missed the point regarding his claims on 'true Christians'. There is no sound way of determining who is a 'true' Christian or not (b/c thousands of sects within Christianity disagree with one another - just like in Islam or Mormonism). All we outsiders can do is take their word for it if they claim it b/c there is no demonstrable method to judging the in crowd from the out crowd. Someone who does bad/vile things may very well be a Christian. You can't judge that (and neither can he) b/c you don't have any reliable method for separating the two (aka - there is no end in sight to the interpretation wars) and that's b/c the bible is self-contradictory with an alleged 'God' that is mysterious ("his ways are not ours ways"), who tells people not to 'lean on their own understanding', and consistently violates its own rules. Muslims try these same debate tactics and it fails for both.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »
See, to skeptic--if you are not a Christian in the sense that HE is a Christian, then YOU are not a Christian.
That's bollocks. He doesn't claim that at all.

mm, based off skeptic's post history he believes the following:

1. Any sect of Christianity which has a church building is a demonic lead false denomination.
2. Any church which passes an offering plate is a false sect.
3. All practicing Catholics are false Christians.
4. All Mormons are false Christians.
5. All the ex-Christians here (like myself) were all probably duped by a false sect (which in my case was Southern Baptist).

I went through the quotations you used, and based also on my general understanding of Skeptics POV, I respond to your points above as follows:

1. I think you have read too much into the quote you appear to base this assertion on. I think his meaning was that some religious organisations are not Christian, and building a church does not change that.

2. Again, I think you read too much into what he said. I take from the quotation that non-Christian organisations seek money only for their own selfish purposes, or try to tell you that your money can buy you into heaven. I do not think this can be taken to mean that all churches which have collections are non-Christian.

3.  This is one where I agree he takes a hard line on Catholicism. I personally believe much of the Catholic Church tradition is un-biblical, but I would not say that all catholics are non-Christians.

4. I completely agree with him. There is no inconsistency with him having this belief.

5. I have read other posts of his related to this, and I would probably express things a little differently. I have gotten the impression that ex-Christian members here belonged often to mainline denominations, some of which may not have taught the bible as faithfully and accurately as they could have. I get the impression that many ex-Christian members here were heavily into the traditions of worship but never had a heart-felt conviction taht they were sinners requiring the salvation of Jesus.

All in all, I think Skeptic is reasonably consistent in what he believes and posts, allbeit sometimes his posting style can lead to misunderstanding.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »
mm,

First comment: wrong. Why? Because not only is it defined by 99.8% of all dictionaries, and the same amount of people, of population, agree with it, that makes it not an opinion when I say it. The definition of Christian is one who follows Christianity, and accepts Jesus as their Lord and Saviour--it doesn't have a side-note of "Unless you're a hate-filled person".

Second comment: Say, huh?

Third comment: "A renewing of the heart does not lead one to hatred." -- this is an opinion. Unless you have evidence to back this up, then, it's just an opinion you hold.

Fourth comment: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/nt_list.html

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »

]There is a standard for being Christian and it's in the Bible

All lot of people say this. Yet there's a lot of disagreement over what said standard is. Since each can find quotes in the Bible to support their position...it means no objective standard exists. Furthermore you not seeing this is evidence you are really not that bright.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 04:20:56 PM »

And you have absolutely no case in questioning whether he's a skeptic. He's just skeptical of different claims than you.

If you are selective about your skepticism..to the point you ignore the repeated demonstrations you have no evidence of your claim and cannot even consider Occams razor as far as your favorite invisible friend, your claims of skepticism have been rendered quite demonstrably false.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
1. I think you have read too much into the quote you appear to base this assertion on. I think his meaning was that some religious organisations are not Christian, and building a church does not change that.
It isn't only one quote though, it's his entire odd post history. "Neither Mormons nor protestants are the right faith. [...] It makes me happy when they learn their faith is the work of demons and come to Jesus." What am I supposed to make from this? Practicing Mormons (15 million), Protestants (800 million), and Catholics (roughly 1 billion) all unknowingly have their faith placed in demons, which according to him make them false Christians. There isn't another way to interpret this, mm. skeptic either has no idea what the words he's using mean (i.e. protestants) or he's saying that millions upon millions of people that identify as Christians are false Christians simply because they belong to a branch of Christianity he believes is lead by demons, despite the fact these Christians believe in and worship Christ...for whatever vague reasons he won't clarify. So what does that leave us with? Orthodox? Yet he hasn't even mentioned that branch of Christianity.

2. Again, I think you read too much into what he said. I take from the quotation that non-Christian organisations seek money only for their own selfish purposes, or try to tell you that your money can buy you into heaven. I do not think this can be taken to mean that all churches which have collections are non-Christian.
And I think you're giving him too much credit. Either that, or he's incredibly careless with what he types. But we're talking about a person that believes every god which has ever been proposed is real. Zeus, Ra, Marduk- all of them are demons. This belief of his about real mythological gods is about as reasonable as associating a collection plate with a false religion.

3. This is one where I agree he takes a hard line on Catholicism. I personally believe much of the Catholic Church tradition is un-biblical, but I would not say that all catholics are non-Christians.
A hard line is putting it softly.

4. I completely agree with him. There is no inconsistency with him having this belief.
skeptic believes that Joseph Smith's story is a real account. He believes that Moroni is a real supernatural demon which spoke to Smith. mm, skeptic isn't skeptical about anything when it comes to supernatural claims. He drinks it all in, believes every single fabricated story he's read or has been told, and then attributes them all to the work of demons. It is an absolutely insane way to rationalize these accounts, stories, and myths. I don't mean to insult him when I say he's being insane, but he is. Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception. His belief is nothing short of insane when it comes to demons.

5. I have read other posts of his related to this, and I would probably express things a little differently. I have gotten the impression that ex-Christian members here belonged often to mainline denominations, some of which may not have taught the bible as faithfully and accurately as they could have. I get the impression that many ex-Christian members here were heavily into the traditions of worship but never had a heart-felt conviction taht they were sinners requiring the salvation of Jesus.
I'm not sure, mm. I personally felt as though I was a sinner and could only be redeemed through my savior. I can't speak for the others though.

All in all, I think Skeptic is reasonably consistent in what he believes and posts, allbeit sometimes his posting style can lead to misunderstanding.
mm, maybe you aren't very familiar with skeptic's post history? I think you're going to have a rough time defending someone with baseless assertions such as "They [scientists] have a cure for everything. They just won't release them because then doctors will make less money." He's either incredibly careless with what he types or he has some very ignorant beliefs. Why not both?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »
I think mm's problem is that he takes skeptic's individual posts as being separate from all his posts; and, if that's what he's doing, then, he's either blindly defending him or purposely defending him.

mm, just because he's a fellow Christian on this website doesn't mean he should be defended from us. Sometimes an idiot is an idiot no matter who they are.

And I bet, some of the things you believe in skeptic sees as demonic. Why defend the guy? You don't defend the guy in the video but you do skeptic. How are they different?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2013, 04:57:21 AM »
Skeptic, please define for me what you believe defines a OneTrueChristian.

Please use point form, and be as specific as possible. I will not accept vague answers, I want the truth from you and I want it now. If ALL other religions are wrong, please convince me that yours is the correct one, and give valid.reasons why.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »

Please use point form, and be as specific as possible. I will not accept vague answers, I want the truth from you and I want it now. If ALL other religions are wrong, please convince me that yours is the correct one, and give valid.reasons why.

I prophesy he will not meet this challenge.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +49/-418
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »
skeptic believes that Joseph Smith's story is a real account. He believes that Moroni is a real supernatural demon which spoke to Smith. mm, skeptic isn't skeptical about anything when it comes to supernatural claims. He drinks it all in, believes every single fabricated story he's read or has been told, and then attributes them all to the work of demons. It is an absolutely insane way to rationalize these accounts, stories, and myths. I don't mean to insult him when I say he's being insane, but he is. Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception. His belief is nothing short of insane when it comes to demons.

I am insane? Based on what?

What if i said that it's insane to work 70 hours a week in a cubicle?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 11:26:48 PM »

I am insane? Based on what?

What if i said that it's insane to work 70 hours a week in a cubicle?

It'd be your opinion.

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +49/-418
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »

How many times must I say it?

Follow Jesus' words and accept Him as your savior. That's it.
Show me where Jesus says, "Worship my mom at mass on Sundays."
(HINT: Don't do it because it's pointless. It's not in the Bible.)
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »

How would you know? You've never read it.

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +49/-418
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
It'd be your opinion.

-Nam

Opinion based on the eternal objective standard, right?

I am curious, Nam. If you standing before God on judgment day and you see all the demons and see the flames of Hell and see God, will I still look so insane?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2013, 11:30:30 PM »
It'd be your opinion.

-Nam

Opinion based on the eternal objective standard, right?

I am curious, Nam. If you standing before God on judgment day and you see all the demons and see the flames of Hell and see God, will I still look so insane?

Yes.

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +49/-418
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »

-Nam

On the contrary Nam, I am the one correcting atheists on this website.
They also ask me Biblical questions, which implies they don't know the answer.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +49/-418
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
Yes.

-Nam

I am sorry if I get a little nasty, but that is a bald faced lie, Nam!

How will I look insane when you would now have 100% proof of God like you wanted all along and everything I said was true?

I really find your statement hard to believe. It sounds very illogical.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2013, 11:41:06 PM »

-Nam

Wrong. We correct you. And when we do you change the subject, dodge what we say, ignore it, or post something nonsensical. Or, like almost every other Christian that comes here: you say we misinterpreted it because you, like those Christians, seem to have the magic decoder ring. See, we ask poignant questions beforehand if a Christian interprets the Bible literally or figuratively. We find out if they know there are parables, metaphors, analogies, and alliterations in it so we can be more precise in our response to them.

And, the fact a line, that's supposed to be "the word of God" is up for so many interpretations; which one is the actual truth? For you: the one you say thus, special decoder ring.

Now, we could be wrong in our interpretation, and sometimes we are but we correct the error, retract, what not and move on. You, and other Christians are always correct, and never wrong even when pointed out that you clearly are.

We don't use "atheist" books to show we are correct. We use the Bible.

Get it?

-Nam
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:44:00 PM by Nam »

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2013, 01:40:15 AM »

Ok Jesus when he says the parable of the good Samaritan...or not a jot or title of the law? One who say to not be like the Pharisees and pray in public...or the one who said not to hide a light under a basket?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 04:41:46 AM »
I am insane?
Now don't go check yourself into a psychiatric hospital. I didn't say that you are mentally ill. I even defined insane in that post so you wouldn't misunderstand me and think I'm calling you crazy. Didn't help, apparently.

Based on what?
Based on your insane beliefs concerning demons. There is zero evidence to support the existence of demons, yet you believe every single supernatural being in ancient mythology as well as modern religions are based off demons in the real world. Why? All because an ancient book from the middle east says they exist? That isn't evidence- that's just folklore being used to justify more folklore. You believe humans can supernaturally heal dogs and horses using a demon as a medium. That's also insane. You have zero evidence for these beliefs. Spirits, demons, fairies, leprechauns, goblins- none of them are falsifiable and none of them have a shred of evidence.

You once said that if people actually believed the Easter Bunny was real, that it would somehow prove the Easter Bunny is a demon. What am I supposed to say to that? Other than it's insane to believe such a thing. The logic you use to arrive from A to B in this instance also makes no sense at all. That's one reason I had given up on you. If you can't recognize your faulty reasoning here, then there really is nothing I can say to help you understand. I really do wish you the best, but if you can not understand or refuse to understand your bad logic involving the Easter Bunny, then I'm just sincerely sorry.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »

The answer to your question, "How many times must I say it?" is "Once."

However, you seem to be misreading the question that natlegend asks. She is asking you to show why the religious belief that you hold is the correct one and all others are in error.
Your answer, "Follow Jesus' words and accept Him as your savior. That's it." is not an answer to the question at all. It is a direct command without any explanation. Natlegend is looking for that explanation, the one that dismisses all other religions and beliefs.

Please give a few bullet points to show why what you believe must be correct.

GB Mod
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »

WRONG! Asking questions can be for a variety of different purposes. You didn't know that? What are you a 3rd grader?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »
She is asking you

I had always assumed that natlegend was a bloke, because all Australians are blokes.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »
She is asking you

I had always assumed that natlegend was a bloke, because all Australians are blokes.

Australia is the only place where blokes hanging around the barbie is masculine.

And Natlegend isn't Australian, she's Tasmanian. ;)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2013, 10:45:58 PM »

You obviously Don't follow the teachings of Jesus because you live in a house and own a computer.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »
She is asking you

Australia is the only place where blokes hanging around the barbie is masculine.

And Natlegend isn't Australian, she's Tasmanian. ;)
Australia is the place the English dumped off all their criminals
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)