Author Topic: The Religious "Ask Skeptic" Thread (With Apology To The Atheists)  (Read 12556 times)

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Re: The Religious "Ask Skeptic" Thread (With Apology To The Atheists)
« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2013, 03:19:03 AM »
So you believe matter had a beginning, despite the fact there is a law against it?

Which law is against matter having a beginning ?

Once again you have lost the argument by making random false claims which you cannot support. Your worldview is falling apart.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:37:27 AM by Foxy Freedom »
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2013, 03:20:22 AM »
You are failing to see the point I am making. You assume a purpose because you assume a creator that had a reason to create. Without the creator, no purpose is needed.

Don't give the trolls oxygen. The trolls can never make a case that their particular god made the universe, or documented the process accurately, so it's pointless arguing over why it exists, or what created it.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2013, 03:22:27 AM »
Another question.

Why did god wait until, what? Like year 0? To do anything of substance, and not record any valid reports?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »
Don't give the trolls oxygen. The trolls can never make a case that their particular god made the universe, or documented the process accurately, so it's pointless arguing over why it exists, or what created it.
Fair enough.
Skeptic will never look at any other version of events incase they do not lead to the conclusion he has already arrived at.
Sad really, to be so closed minded and not open to new ideas (or even the truth)
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »
Skeptic will never look at any other version of events incase they do not lead to the conclusion he has already arrived at.
Sad really, to be so closed minded and not open to new ideas (or even the truth)

I'm not sure if he doesn't understand the weaknesses in his own position. He seems to avoid going there with such precision that he must know. I think for Skep, if he admits anything, his faith will fall down around his ankles. It's a position of insecurity, rather than faith.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »
^^Makes sense.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2013, 05:19:52 AM »
Are you saying you want to go to Hell? I never ever had someone say that to me. If someone truly said to me, "I want to go to Hell" I would leave them alone.

Oooo, look!  A direct lie from Skeptic!  After that post, Nam said:

If hell actually exists then yes, I want to go to hell.

Did Skep "leave him alone" as he promised he would?  Nope - he responded like this:

I am sorry Nam but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life.

...thus proving that his professed reasons for continuing to engage here are a pack of lies.  He's NOT here to help the people "drowning and not realising it".  He's here to preach, regardless, even when they tell him they are specifically not interested.

Why did you lie to us, Skep?

I was in shock that Nam would say that. Going to Hell is a choice that someone with a very low IQ would make.

Paradise or agony? give me paradise!

"If someone truly said to me, "I want to go to Hell" I would leave them alone."  And yet here you are, still indirectly insulting Nam and his honestly expressed beliefs.  No matter how "shocked" you were, you still posted to try to argue with his views, despite your earlier promise to "leave (him) alone".

Why did you lie when you said you would leave him alone?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2013, 05:29:27 AM »
You must provide another example of something that exists without a purpose or else it is special pleading. Perhaps you missed that part of the post. No worries.

Those who believe in a creator are often asked "so who created the creator?".  To which the reply is along the lines of "well, he is eternal and uncreated".

So I ask YOU: who created your god?  And remember - if your answer runs along the lines I have outlined, you must provide another example of something that exists without having to be created, or else it is special pleading.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2013, 06:07:25 AM »
I did. I shit it out this morning; corn and everything.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2013, 06:22:20 AM »
Holy Shit Dat-Nam

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #300 on: December 05, 2013, 06:23:42 AM »
Nice one.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +63/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #301 on: December 05, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »

OK, I have a question for you to start off.

Is there anything that exists without a purpose for its existence?

If yes, explain what it is and why it has no purpose.
If no, you must concede the universe has a purpose for its existence.

I think there are two serious confusions here.

First:

Are you saying, as Aristotle did, that nothing in nature is without purpose? - eg. An eye has the purpose of seeing, the sun has the purpose of shining etc... If this is what you mean then it seems to me that the claim is unfalsifiable as the claim that everything in nature is without purpose could equally be held to be true - eg. it is true that nn eye sees and the sun shines but they do not do so for some external goal.

Unless you can point to something which allows us to say that purpose is an inherent characteristic of objects we cannot resolve the issue either way. If we think about this it is obvious that we will never be able to resolve this as purpose is not a necessary connection between objects. It is only a connection that can be drawn by the mind (if you disagree can you provide an example when this is not true?) and thus we cannot prove one way or another if the connection is necessary to the object (ie that it is objectively 'there').

So in answer to the question "Is there anything that exists without purpose for its existence?" we must (if we are honest) respond that we do not know - a forteriori that we cannot know.

Second:

Even if I grant you that everything within the universe has purpose (and for the reason above I wouldn't); that does not logically entail that the universe itself has purpose. The universe is the set of all things - it is not itself a thing. If it were that would lead to a paradox as being a thing it is/can be causally connected to other things, and thus is within the net of all causally connected things (ie the universe). The universe cannot both be a collection of all objects, and itself an object!

To use an analogy: Just because every human being has a mother it does not entail that humanity has a mother (as "humanity" is the set of human beings not a human being itself!). Similarly; just because every object has a purpose that does not mean that the universe has a purpose (as "the universe" is the set of objects not an object itself!)

hope that helps clarify :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:08:22 AM by penfold »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #302 on: December 05, 2013, 07:45:14 AM »
The arguments have become too logical for Skep.

*cue tumbleweeds*
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #303 on: December 05, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »
You first have to convince me that the father exists. That father then needs to convince the kid to get a job. Yes, withholding funds is a good tool. However, he has TO ACTUALLY COMMUNICATE IT IN PERSON.

OK, I have a question for you to start off.

Is there anything that exists without a purpose for its existence?

If yes, explain what it is and why it has no purpose.
If no, you must concede the universe has a purpose for its existence.

And that address anything I had to say, HOW? Secondly, I have to explain "no" purpose.

BRRRRNNNNNTTTT

shifting of the burden of proof. Your argument is fallacy
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2013, 12:56:53 AM »
I was in shock that Nam would say that. Going to Hell is a choice that someone with a very low IQ would make.

I don't want paradise if someone else is in agony.  I'm not keen on experiencing suffering, but I would feel honour-bound to go to Hell in an act of protest, to try to alleviate the suffering of anyone imprisoned there.  Moreover, I can feel neither love nor respect for any god that had the power to liberate the victims of Hell but refused to use it.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2013, 02:38:17 AM »
I don't want paradise if someone else is in agony.  I'm not keen on experiencing suffering, but I would feel honour-bound to go to Hell in an act of protest, to try to alleviate the suffering of anyone imprisoned there.  Moreover, I can feel neither love nor respect for any god that had the power to liberate the victims of Hell but refused to use it.

Noble sentiments, Astreja. Rather like this Buddhist oath by a bodhisattva:
"Never will I seek nor receive private individual salvation - never enter into final peace alone; but forever and everywhere will I live and strive for the universal redemption of every creature throughout all worlds. Until all are delivered, never will I leave the world of sin, sorrow and struggle, but will remain where I am."

I'm not sure I would have the same courage, but I certainly do question the perfection of a supposed god that permits- perhaps deliberately created- eternal torture for finite transgression.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »

So i take it you do not enjoy a nice big juicy steak knowing there are starving people in Africa?

Do you ever eat anything?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Skeptic

Before you start arguing with people, I suggest you write down the point you're trying to make and stick to it. This grasping at straws in every frickin' thread is getting old. Drivers licenses, hell and steak, etc. You don't seem to realize that you have nothing to say, and that you're no good at saying nothing either.

That you're stuck in a world where your assume that everything you think is true must be, by definition the truth, is bad enough. That you have no capacity to see any other point of view, no capacity to discern evidence that is contrary to your reality (which is based only on your hopes and fears), and no thoughts to offer the rest of the world that are of any use, you should be able to see that you are contributing nothing to either this web site or the human race. However, you have self-diagnosed yourself as the worlds finest human being.

So its time for you to be told. Solipsism is true. It is only you. The rest of us aren't real. You don't need to do this any more. Bye.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
The arguments have become too logical for Skep.

No argument s too logical to stupidly ignore, Skep is living proof of that.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »

So i take it you do not enjoy a nice big juicy steak knowing there are starving people in Africa?

And what are YOU doing about the starving? Enjoying that nice juicy steak thinking about how great God is for providing the steak?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »

And what are YOU doing about the starving? Enjoying that nice juicy steak thinking about how great God is for providing the steak?
Lazy f'er isn't even fighting the demons in his own neighborhood, he'd rather continue demonstrating his tenuous grasp of reality to us, despite having successfully convincing everyone here that he can't think his way out of a wet paper bag.

Altruism? Fugetaboudit - he's spent the last 8 years telling stories about a red substance on a wall, and a dog that got sick then better. Praise something or other.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
People starving has to be one of (if not the) greatest argument that god does not exist.
If prayer is supposed to be able to move mountains then why does it fail to provide some decent crops and livestock for those in need.
Should we all feel guilty if we eat a steak or should we feel mad that your god does nothing to get steaks to everyone that needs one?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »
People starving has to be one of (if not the) greatest argument that god does not exist.
If prayer is supposed to be able to move mountains then why does it fail to provide some decent crops and livestock for those in need.
Should we all feel guilty if we eat a steak or should we feel mad that your god does nothing to get steaks to everyone that needs one?
Skep only cares that his God is gracious enough to give him steak. Skep cares not for what God does for the starving just what God can do for HIM.....is that bang on Skep? You not only have shown us your God is self centered,but you as a believer in HIM are as well. You have no interest in the teachings of Jesus,Skep if you did you would be MORE like the character Jesus. Skeptic you are in your own little Christian cult,nothing more.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2013, 12:59:07 AM »

False dichotomy.  The disadvantaged people in Africa have not been condemned to eternal starvation by a powerful entity who controls all the food.  It is also possible for people to help them without going there to starve to death along with them.

Skeptic, what do you suggest we do to alleviate the suffering of people in Hell?
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2013, 02:01:26 AM »
I do not know if this is allowed on here but-

http://www.deki.org.uk/about_us

(apologies if I have broken any rules but it's in a good cause)
This is an organisation that I dontate too.
Perhaps you could give this a read Skeptic, people trying to help people (rather than a well meaning but ultimately useless prayer or two)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:12:00 AM by Jonny-UK »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #315 on: December 07, 2013, 02:05:32 AM »
I do not know if this is allowed on here but-

http://www.deki.org.uk/about_us

(apologies if I have broken any rules but it's in a good cause)
This is an organisation that I dontate too.
Perhaps you could give this a read Skeptic, people trying to help people.

Stop apologising for stupid shit. If it was your first day that'd be one thing, or if you were an idiot like skeptic.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #316 on: December 07, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »
Stop apologising for stupid shit. If it was your first day that'd be one thing, or if you were an idiot like skeptic.

-Nam
Your quite right,I do apolo.............  &)

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #317 on: December 07, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »

False dichotomy.  The disadvantaged people in Africa have not been condemned to eternal starvation by a powerful entity who controls all the food.  It is also possible for people to help them without going there to starve to death along with them.

Skeptic, what do you suggest we do to alleviate the suffering of people in Hell?

I am curious as to why you help them, considering you believe in evolution. "Survival of the fittest."

or are there bigger motivating factors involved here?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »
WE actually do believe in survival of the fittest,it's why we can go to the market and buy that steak,and we have all done little as possible to alleviate the world food shortage in certain regions,like YOU we do as little as possible for ANYBODY but ourselves GENERALLY speaking of course. There are pockets of people who do all they can,you and I are not in those pockets