Author Topic: The Religious "Ask Skeptic" Thread (With Apology To The Atheists)  (Read 11805 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
Re: The Religious "Ask Skeptic" Thread (With Apology To The Atheists)
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »

No, riches are not bad. Abraham had riches. Job had riches. When Job passed the test, God gave him even more riches.

You know why? Because they were men of God first and foremost.

But that was under the "old covenant" see. We are supposed to be under the "new" now right? So the OT doesn't apply right? God changes the rules all the time right? In the OT he slaughtered millions. Then he came down, sacrificed himself to himself and became a "turn the other cheek" guy who wiped away the old law, right?

See the inconsistency? This theology is bankrupt.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »
Can a gay couple,who are Christian and love Jesus be accepted by God? Do the OT rules Jesus fulfilled with his sacrifice still apply in this case?

That is something I am not sure about. While they can certainly ask God to forgive them of their sinning lifestyle, they do it repeatedly every day by engaging in the relationship.

I would hope God forgives him and allows them into Heaven because I love gay people and want them in paradise. But, i can't say for sure.

Sorry. :(
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2013, 11:36:46 AM »

That is something I am not sure about. While they can certainly ask God to forgive them of their sinning lifestyle, they do it repeatedly every day by engaging in the relationship.

I would hope God forgives him and allows them into Heaven because I love gay people and want them in paradise. But, i can't say for sure.

You aren't reading your bible dude. Galatians ch 5, 1 Corinthians ch 6, and Revelation 21. They will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Jesus even says that "few there be that find it". So even most professing Christians are going to this 'hell' according to that book.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:38:30 AM by median »

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

No, riches are not bad. Abraham had riches. Job had riches. When Job passed the test, God gave him even more riches.

But that was under the "old covenant" see. We are supposed to be under the "new" now right? So the OT doesn't apply right? God changes the rules all the time right? In the OT he slaughtered millions. Then he came down, sacrificed himself to himself and became a "turn the other cheek" guy who wiped away the old law, right?

No, there's a story in John where Jesus use expensive perfume. the disciples ask him, "Can't this bottle be sold for a lot of money and give to the poor?" Jesus responded by saying, "The poor will always be with you but I will not always be with you."

If absolutely no riches were allowed, Jesus would have sold it.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »

You aren't reading your bible dude. Galatians ch 5, 1 Corinthians ch 6, and Revelation 21. They will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Jesus even says that "few there be that find it". So even most professing Christians are going to this 'hell' according to that book.

yes, if they don't ask for forgiveness they won't be there.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »

No, there's a story in John where Jesus use expensive perfume. the disciples ask him, "Can't this bottle be sold for a lot of money and give to the poor?" Jesus responded by saying, "The poor will always be with you but I will not always be with you."

Wrong again. Under Christian doctrine the 'oil' was used to 'anoint' him prior to death. You really need to read your bible more.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:44:06 AM by median »

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »

Asking for forgiveness is found nowhere in those passages. If they 'practice' sin they will not enter. That's what it says. It also says faith without works is dead. Of course, I don't believe any of this nonsense b/c it's clearly fiction but the bible clearly teaches that the overwhelming majority of professing Christians (not just people) will not enter heaven!

Real loving!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:45:30 AM by median »

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »

Asking for forgiveness is found nowhere in those passages. If they 'practice' sin they will not enter. That's what it says. It also says faith without works is dead. Of course, I don't believe any of this nonsense b/c it's clearly fiction but the bible clearly teaches that the overwhelming majority of professing Christians (not just people) will not enter heaven!

Everyone practices sin! The key is trying to stop instead of engaging in it over and over again like a revolving door.

If committing even one sin put you in Hell, then nobody would ever be in Heaven.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
I have to go to work guys. I will be back later.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »

Everyone practices sin! The key is trying to stop instead of engaging in it over and over again like a revolving door.

If committing even one sin put you in Hell, then nobody would ever be in Heaven.

Then you have now one more place where the bible contradicts itself. Anyone who practices sin will not 'enter the kingdom', and everyone practices sin. But some people (who practice sin) will enter. Remember, Paul is writing to Christians, not non-believers and he's telling them that anyone among them that practices sin will not enter! I'm sorry, this theology is bunk dude.

CONTRADICTION:

All practice sin
Anyone who practices sin will not enter
There are a select few that will enter

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +115/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
I still have no idea what sect of Christianity Skeptic54768 claims to be a part of.

No one does. But nogodsforme, and myself think he's a JW.

-Nam

No, I am not a JW. They are false prophets.

I am non-denominational. All I do is read the Bible and try my best to live like my Savior. That's all that's required. Your own body is the Church, the metaphorical body of Christ.

It's not even a religion, to be honest. it's more of a philosophy.

I see.  Thank you for responding to this.

Are you familiar with the concept of S.P.A.G?

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »

That's also skeptic's inconsistency since he's said the OT doesn't apply to him or other Christians. So, when he references it he contradicts his own statement about it unless he can show that it is mentioned in the NT.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »

So, Jesus responded selfishly? He wanted the expensive perfume while not wanting to feed the poor?

lol!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Ah, well, that explains the success of the five richest men in the world today: Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Larry Ellison, Carlos Slim Helu and Amancio Ortega. They must be close to god, like you said.

Lets see, Bill Gates, atheist, Warren Buffet, agnostic, Larry Ellison, Jewish by birth but agnostic, Carlos Slim Helu, demon catholic and Amancio Ortega, also a demon catholic.

Gee, that being close to god really works out well. You hit it right on the nose.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
I actually have a question.

Why does Satan hate mankind?
I had a drunken discussion with the wife the other night and she said “imagine if I came home with a baby and didn’t inform you about it or anything. I just showed up with it. Then I showered the baby with all our money and time and almost forgot all about you. Wouldn’t you be mad at the baby or blame the baby for your unhappiness?”
My reply was no. Id blame her because the kid had nothing to do with it.

So why does Satan hate mankind so much? To the point that if I worship him I don’t become a demon when I die. I don’t become a soldier in Satan’s army to fight in the battle described in revelations. No he just tortures me. That seems pretty stupid for the most sneakiest and most clever villain of all time. Even Genghis Khan knew that he could use more soldiers than what he started with.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »

I had a drunken discussion with the wife the other night and she said “imagine if I came home with a baby and didn’t inform you about it or anything. I just showed up with it. Then I showered the baby with all our money and time and almost forgot all about you. Wouldn’t you be mad at the baby or blame the baby for your unhappiness?”

So why does Satan hate mankind so much? To the point that if I worship him I don’t become a demon when I die. I don’t become a soldier in Satan’s army to fight in the battle described in revelations. No he just tortures me. That seems pretty stupid for the most sneakiest and most clever villain of all time. Even Genghis Khan knew that he could use more soldiers than what he started with.

That's what happens when you try to turn fiction and superstition into an actual belief system.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
Yeah kind of like if Darth Vader forced choked the entire empire then wondered why the Rebels won the war.

In my wife’s defense she was playing devil’s advocate. And drunk… really drunk.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »
First of all, I would like to issue an apology to the atheists. I am sorry for behaving in ways that you guys deem to be bad behavior. I am going to try very hard to not speak in ways that might be considered insulting.

With that said, I would like this thread to be about various religious discussion about Christianity and God. If you have a question for me, please ask it in this thread. Or if I come up with a topic to discuss, I will post it. This will save space on the board so I don't get accused of hijacking every thread and trolling the board.

Please guys, let's have a serious discussion in this thread.  :)

Is the Bible (Hebrew Bible aka "The Old Testament" and The New Testament combined) the divinely inspired inerrant word of God?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »

Is the Bible (Hebrew Bible aka "The Old Testament" and The New Testament combined) the divinely inspired inerrant word of God?

He has already answered this question, in other places, in the affirmative. Yes, he believes that.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +115/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2013, 09:52:26 PM »
Skeptic, it seems is a Cafeteria Christian.  SPAG, in other words.  Funny how the bible always seems to align itself along his particular moral choices in life.

Nothing worse about that than most.  After all given the poor structure of the bible and it's contradicting elements it's effectively a given that cherry picking will commence.

Thank you Skeptic54768 for helping to clear this up.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2013, 09:55:22 PM »
I still have no idea what sect of Christianity Skeptic54768 claims to be a part of.

He stated "non-denominational" in reply to me today, or yesterday. I guess that makes him a "pure" Christian.

;)

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »

I am literally in shock at this response. I thought atheists were Biblical experts? I will explain again, then.

Satan hates us because we worship God. He knows that's the right choice. So, when he fools someone into following him, he's happy that you are going against God, but he's secretly laughing at you because you have just sealed your fate to Hell. Satan does not torture anyone. Satan will be tortured in Hell. He does not run Hell, which is a common misconception. He just wants to drag down as many people as he can with him.

Is this simple enough to understand?

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2013, 10:35:14 PM »
So. Satan has absolutely no empathy? He was created as a completely evil entity with no thoughts other than his own satisfaction? Why, exactly, if he is (or will be, at any rate) in a situation of eternal torment, would it make him happy to know others are sharing in the agony?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
So. Satan has absolutely no empathy? He was created as a completely evil entity with no thoughts other than his own satisfaction? Why, exactly, if he is (or will be, at any rate) in a situation of eternal torment, would it make him happy to know others are sharing in the agony?

Satan was not created evil. He was in Heaven and chose to rebel and become pure evil. It's all in the Bible.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »

That's also skeptic's inconsistency since he's said the OT doesn't apply to him or other Christians. So, when he references it he contradicts his own statement about it unless he can show that it is mentioned in the NT.

-Nam

Just because it doesn't apply to us today doesn't mean it was always irrelevant.

Cmon Nam, get your head in the game.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »
Skeptic, I asked this in another thread which you then apparently abandoned, and I think it may be applicable here to ask it again...

Skeptic, please define for me what you believe defines a OneTrueChristian.

Please use point form, and be as.  specific as possible. I will not accept vague answers, I want the truth from you and I want it now. If ALL other religions are wrong, please convince me that yours is the correct one, and give valid reasons why.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »
I'm absolutely shocked that you think that people influenced by demons would also have accurate knowledge about the history of your version of the bible.

But you go ahead and make a big issue out of this. That will give you a good excuse not to respond to our questions and comments on other, more pertinent matters. Ones that would require intellectual effort on your part. And we know how you feel about stuff like that.

Of course, there is probably a demon controlling you and keeping you from facing issues that we've brought up. Don't worry, we understand. It happens all the time around here.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
Satan was not created evil. He was in Heaven and chose to rebel and become pure evil. It's all in the Bible.

Last I heard, heaven is an awesome.place. Why would this Satan fellow choose otherwise? There are literally billions of people on this planet who are doing what they think is the right thing to get into heaven. Satan already knew what heaven was like but he chose to rebel. Is there something about heaven that we don't know about?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
Just because it doesn't apply to us today doesn't mean it was always irrelevant.

Cmon Nam, get your head in the game.

Oh, that makes sense. Sounds like you're backtracking. Either "God's Word" always applies or never applies. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

-Nam