Author Topic: Does the second commandment still apply or not?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Does the second commandment still apply or not?
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »
Are you saying that the great religious thinkers of the past are were not reasonable?

I would not  say religious thinkers are great or reasonable, more misguided.
Believing in something for which there is absolutely NO EVIDENCE is.................etc (I cannot be bothered to type these types of answers again)
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 01:58:19 AM »
If God left us, the whole universe would just turn to total and complete blackness. This is how we know God is omnipresent.
Now you are just making yourself look silly. How do you possibly think you know that to be true?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »
Are you saying that the great religious thinkers of the past are were not reasonable?

Believing in something for which there is absolutely NO EVIDENCE is.................etc (I cannot be bothered to type these types of answers again)

But the arguments they use are supposed to be the evidence. Atheists demand answers, we give them the answers, and the atheists still aren't satisfied.

They bring up the problem of evil, we tell them why evil exists and then they still say they aren't going to believe. Why bother asking all these questions if you aren't interested in the answers?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 02:03:07 AM »
Tell me about it! We've been trying to give the truth to you for weeks and you just refuse to listen to it.

Apparently ignorance is contagious. You guys get it from each other.

Are you implying that only atheists have the truth about life?

Isn't that what you guys HATE about religion?  :o

No, I'm saying flat out that what you are handing out is not the truth. We atheists, and science, are looking for things that we can call the truth, and we have found some of them, plus evidence for a lot more. But we don't pretend that our truth is so ultimate that everyone has to do things our way or fry. We don't insist that our truth is so ultimate that you darned well better not look for any other truth. We don't say that mysterious demons cause havoc and ruin. We don't doom all outliers to some ugly place forever. Instead we look at the world and the universe, try to parse the bits and pieces, and do our best to come up with useful and reasonably accurate descriptions of reality.

You guys just make stuff up.

On the bright side, you bring out the cynic in me big time. I should thank you for that. But you're not putting any energy into your part of the discussion, so there is no need.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 02:04:22 AM »
Now you are just making yourself look silly. How do you possibly think you know that to be true?

Because nothing would exist without God. God is the number 1.

1 is not contingent on anything. 2 is contingent on 1. You can write 3 as 1+1+1 because everything is contingent except for 1.

God is the absolute necessary number 1. God cannot not exist.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »
Tell me about it! We've been trying to give the truth to you for weeks and you just refuse to listen to it.

Apparently ignorance is contagious. You guys get it from each other.

Are you implying that only atheists have the truth about life?

Isn't that what you guys HATE about religion?  :o

No, I'm saying flat out that what you are handing out is not the truth. We atheists, and science, are looking for things that we can call the truth, and we have found some of them, plus evidence for a lot more. But we don't pretend that our truth is so ultimate that everyone has to do things our way or fry. We don't insist that our truth is so ultimate that you darned well better not look for any other truth. We don't say that mysterious demons cause havoc and ruin. We don't doom all outliers to some ugly place forever. Instead we look at the world and the universe, try to parse the bits and pieces, and do our best to come up with useful and reasonably accurate descriptions of reality.

On the bright side, you bring out the cynic in me big time. I should thank you for that. But you're not putting any energy into your part of the discussion, so there is no need.

The thing is, you probably don't frequent Christian forums like I do. Every so often, an atheist pops in telling us how stupid we are and how we should all be rounded up and killed so the intelligent can survive.

Plenty of atheists out there are extremely mad at us and want to see us dead.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:20 AM »
But the arguments they use are supposed to be the evidence. Atheists demand answers, we give them the answers, and the atheists still aren't satisfied.
Not correct, you cannot make a sweeping statement like that about all atheists. I am just trying to get you to question what you believe. I do not demand answers, until I see evidence to show me otherwise then there is no god(s). Nothing else is needed to back that up.
They bring up the problem of evil, we tell them why evil exists and then they still say they aren't going to believe. Why bother asking all these questions if you aren't interested in the answers?
Again- evidence. The answers are always opinions and quoted passages from books. NO ACTUAL EVIDENCE,EVER.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:35:45 AM by Jonny-UK »

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 02:14:17 AM »

1 is not contingent on anything. 2 is contingent on 1. You can write 3 as 1+1+1 because everything is contingent except for 1.

Again-Now you are just making yourself look silly. How do you possibly think you know that to be true?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 02:18:13 AM »
Again-Now you are just making yourself look silly. How do you possibly think you know that to be true?

It's a basic mathematics 101 statement.

What is 1 contingent upon? 1 is just 1. Nothing is needed to cause it.

How do you say 2? 1+1

3? 1+1+1

4? 1+1+1+1

and so on and so forth.

It's all just based on the non-contingent 1.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 02:19:52 AM »
Aint that the truth. Bible spin must be even greater than that from politicians.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 02:22:54 AM »
The thing is, you probably don't frequent Christian forums like I do. Every so often, an atheist pops in telling us how stupid we are and how we should all be rounded up and killed so the intelligent can survive.

Plenty of atheists out there are extremely mad at us and want to see us dead.

Nor do many of us here frequent christian forums. If you want to talk to those guys, go talk to them wherever they are. Don't bother us here. We are not angry at christians (though you are sort of challenging that statement), but rather we are down on christianity itself and the teachings it foists off on people like you. You're not stupid, but here you are spouting pre-programmed excuses for every thought we challenge. You're not dumb, but you believe some of the stupidest thoughts ever concocted by human beings. You're not dumb, but you think that your job on earth is to spend all sorts of time converting sinners to Jesus lovers. And you end up wasting so much time, both of yours and of others, all because you have chosen to accept the very limited world of religion.

And it isn't just christianity. Don't go getting a joyful persecution complex. The same applies to muslims and hindus and zoroastrians and jews. You guys are the most vocal, muslims, at their worst, are the most piloty, hindus are big into the oppressive caste system (though our non-denominational economic system seems to be following suite) and the other guys, though apparently harmless, none the less are also wasting copious amounts of time worshipping something that isn't there.

The big difference between believers of any faith and atheists is that if god did show up and tell us that we were wrong, we'd listen. He'd really have to show up though, none of this faith stuff. But believers, for the most part, are unable to shirk off the certitude they require to keep in character. And you have to have that assuredness, 24/7, or it will crumble as faster than the speed of light.

Until you can explain, not excuse, the lack of human fossils mixed in with dinosaur era fossils, you are dooming yourself to a lifetime of wasted opportunity. We don't hate you for what you believe. We just hate that you're caught up in such a lie.

Your patience could be put to so many better uses.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 02:23:48 AM »

How do you say 2? 1+1

3? 1+1+1

4? 1+1+1+1

and so on and so forth.

Going down a maths path does not equal evidence.
lack of evidence + lack of evidence = lack of evidence

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 02:36:57 AM »
Regarding the OP, Is this giant statue actually a giant mistake then ?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:38 AM »

How do you say 2? 1+1

3? 1+1+1

4? 1+1+1+1

and so on and so forth.

Going down a maths path does not equal evidence.
lack of evidence + lack of evidence = lack of evidence

Perhaps it is icing on another nonexistent cake?

He could be a genuine Marie Internet. Let them download cake.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 02:50:45 AM »
I shouldn't be so flippant. The facts are that once you have iced a whole load of nonexistent cakes, it adds up to large pile of nonexistent cakes, which is a hell of a lot more convincing than an empty space.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 02:55:29 AM »
You could always use the nonexistent cakes as an offering to a nonexistent god.
Waste not want not.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:10 AM »

Just b/c you keep making this statement doesn't make it any less arbitrary nonsense. I've already responded to it and you keep going with it anyways. Anybody can just claim "X cannot not exist!" but it proves nothing.

Here ya go: "The Global Universe cannot not exist." How's that for ya! "Existence cannot not exist." Good?

There is an even further problem with your claim. It is logically incoherent. The word 'God' in the English language has no referent. It refers to nothing in reality. So just using it over and over means nothing, spells nothing, and signifies nothing. Btw, what makes you think numbers 'exist' in and of themselves somewhere?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 03:30:44 AM »
.....as soon as I tell them, "I want to tell you guys about your false religion," they tell me to leave.

Imagine that.  A believer, sure in their own faith, who refuses to listen to any argument that their faith might be wrong.

What's your opinion on people like that, Skep?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:27 AM »
It's the proverbial, "Do as I say not as I do...or you will burn in hell for all eternity."

;)

-Nam

Nam,

When somebody says to you, "I hate you, nam! I don't want anything to do with you!" and they curse at you, do you want to see them again? Would you want to hang out with them and be in their presence?

Or would you say, "Fine, if he hates me, then I don't want anything to do with him?"

It's the same with God. If you don't wanna be with God, He doesn't wanna be with you.

One of my good friends, actually many of my good friends are people who don't like me, and I don't like some of them. It is possible to be friends, enjoy one's company, spend time together, etc., with people you don't really like. I'll give you a fictional example: The Big Bang Theory (the TV show) -- not one of Sheldon Cooper's friends actually like him. Most times they can't stand him but they're still his friend.

With me, I am predominantly indifferent to people; it may be easier for me to be friends with people I don't like, or not--haven't really pondered on it much but peoples over-excitement toward me, valid or not, doesn't necessarily effect me and therefore, I don't hold grudges.

That seems to be the vast difference with me, and your god. Your god is also quite indifferent but does hold grudges, becomes quite jealous and whiney when it doesn't get its way--something you aspire to be like, I am sure.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 05:11:14 AM »

How do you say 2? 1+1

3? 1+1+1

4? 1+1+1+1

and so on and so forth.

What meaning does 1 have if there is no 2?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »

How do you say 2? 1+1

3? 1+1+1

4? 1+1+1+1

and so on and so forth.

Bertrand Russell spent a lot of time and pages proving that 1+1 = 2 - he succeeded. Look it up, if you want. It is not as arbitrary as you seem, without much thought, to claim.

I do agree that 1+1+1 = 1 seems strange though. That allegedly describes the Trinity, does it not?

I think your homeschooling did you no good at all. If you used the arguments that you use for gods to live your real life, I doubt that you could stack shelves.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2013, 11:25:08 AM »
It appears that you "misunderstood" the question both Anfauglir and I are asking you: Don't you have a duty to other theists, with the special knowledge and abilities you claim? 

Seriously, I don't understand why you are still posting here, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Anfauglir was asking the same question. You obviously are offending people in person  because they tell you to leave as soon as you speak, but you ALSO obviously know how to use the internet, so why are you wasting time trying to convince us of your bullshit when there's a whole world apparently full of demons taking control of people and causing all kinds of havoc - and you claim to have the ability to spot these dangerous creatures.

Why are you here, at this forum, talking to us? I really want to know. Just a straight answer, no dodging, no pretending to misunderstand what I'm asking you, no diverting, just an answer - why are you here talking to us?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
@OP:
You need to learn more about theists. Their commandments only apply when it suits them. Ever seen a christian sell all his/her possessions and give the money to the poor? Didn't think so.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
@OP:
You need to learn more about theists. Their commandments only apply when it suits them. Ever seen a christian sell all his/her possessions and give the money to the poor? Didn't think so.

Actually, I have given this homeless guy in my town money every so often. Every time I give him spare change he shouts "Glory be to Jesus!" He hasn't lost his faith and he's homeless. I'm excited for him to get his mansion in heaven.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
Actually, I have given this homeless guy in my town money every so often. Every time I give him spare change he shouts "Glory be to Jesus!" He hasn't lost his faith and he's homeless. I'm excited for him to get his mansion in heaven.

Bible says everything. You're not a true christian.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »
What meaning does 1 have if there is no 2?

What meaning does good have if there is no evil?

See what I mean? Atheists are inconsistent when they make points.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »

Bible says everything. You're not a true christian.

Jesus did not intend for the rich to become poor and the poor to become rich. That is nonsensical.

Someone is rich if they have Jesus in their life.

The homeless guy is richer than Bill Gates if you think about it logically.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
It's the proverbial, "Do as I say not as I do...or you will burn in hell for all eternity."

;)

-Nam

Nam,

When somebody says to you, "I hate you, nam! I don't want anything to do with you!" and they curse at you, do you want to see them again? Would you want to hang out with them and be in their presence?

Or would you say, "Fine, if he hates me, then I don't want anything to do with him?"

It's the same with God. If you don't wanna be with God, He doesn't wanna be with you.

One of my good friends, actually many of my good friends are people who don't like me, and I don't like some of them. It is possible to be friends, enjoy one's company, spend time together, etc., with people you don't really like. I'll give you a fictional example: The Big Bang Theory (the TV show) -- not one of Sheldon Cooper's friends actually like him. Most times they can't stand him but they're still his friend.

With me, I am predominantly indifferent to people; it may be easier for me to be friends with people I don't like, or not--haven't really pondered on it much but peoples over-excitement toward me, valid or not, doesn't necessarily effect me and therefore, I don't hold grudges.

That seems to be the vast difference with me, and your god. Your god is also quite indifferent but does hold grudges, becomes quite jealous and whiney when it doesn't get its way--something you aspire to be like, I am sure.

-Nam

Nam,

A television show is not real life, despite how many people believe television is real.

Nobody talks the way they do on TV shows in real life. Watch a Seinfeld episode. Nobody talks like Jerry and George in real life.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
It appears that you "misunderstood" the question both Anfauglir and I are asking you: Don't you have a duty to other theists, with the special knowledge and abilities you claim? 

Seriously, I don't understand why you are still posting here, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Anfauglir was asking the same question. You obviously are offending people in person  because they tell you to leave as soon as you speak, but you ALSO obviously know how to use the internet, so why are you wasting time trying to convince us of your bullshit when there's a whole world apparently full of demons taking control of people and causing all kinds of havoc - and you claim to have the ability to spot these dangerous creatures.

Why are you here, at this forum, talking to us? I really want to know. Just a straight answer, no dodging, no pretending to misunderstand what I'm asking you, no diverting, just an answer - why are you here talking to us?

I post here because I am fascinated by the atheistic mind. I wonder what makes them think the way they do.

Plus, I have gotten people to convert before. I told you about the Catholic guy I used to talk to who was Catholic for 20 years before I told him all about his religion and he broke down crying and now he feels happier than ever.