Author Topic: Gun attacks in Paris  (Read 684 times)

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Gun attacks in Paris
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:17:11 PM »
Gun attacks in Paris , the gunman attacked the seat of "BFM TV" (this is an equivalent of BBC in UK and CNN in USA the seat of "libération" (French newspaper) and the seat of "société générale" (a French bank). Personally I read informations in French and I think that the gunman is probably a "far right-wingist". Others possibilities are that he's a "far left-wingist" , a "mental illness" or this man will resolve a personal problem.

Sources :
1.Al-Jazeera (Mainstream Qatari TV channel) : http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/11/gunman-loose-after-shooting-paris-2013111810493883842.html
2.BBC (Mainstream British Media) : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24985779
3.CNN (Mainstream American TV channel) : http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/18/world/europe/france-newspaper-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Gun attacks in Paris
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
That can't be right.

France has some pretty rigid gun laws...has anything changed recently?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
That can't be right.

Gun crimes over there rarely happen, not never.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »
Yeah, but I heard this on the radio on two different stations today and now I see it posted here.

Why should this particular case make such international headlines?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Because it's out of the ordinary?

If it happened in America, it wouldn't really be news.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
Somebody shoots a gun in public in France and it becomes international news?

I see listed, in the op, 6 different countries reporting on this....seems hardly news worthy to me since it didn't happen in my neighborhood and the body count is so low...it's not very "sensational" is what I am trying to say.

Just paint me skeptical about the motivation for the international attention this story is getting. Guess I'm just another jaded American.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
Somebody shoots a gun in public in France and it becomes international news?

I see listed, in the op, 6 different countries reporting on this....seems hardly news worthy to me since it didn't happen in my neighborhood and the body count is so low...it's not very "sensational" is what I am trying to say.

Just paint me skeptical about the motivation for the international attention this story is getting. Guess I'm just another jaded American.
When something out of the ordinary happens, it tends to get some press, this is one of those cases.
It would be surprising if 6 other countries WEREN'T covering this.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »
So...is this story a big deal or what?

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:10 PM »
Yes, for the last time it is.
If something out of the ordinary happens, it's not exactly mundane.

---

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:26:02 PM »
Somehow I'm reminded of this - think it might have been from John Cleese:

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Syria and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.” The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let’s get the Bastards.” They don’t have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France ‘s white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country’s military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She’ll be right, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we’ll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far no situation has ever warranted use of the last final escalation level.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:07 PM »
Yes, for the last time it is.
If something out of the ordinary happens, it's not exactly mundane.

out of the ordinary does not equal extraordinary on an international level. Now, the Kenya mall attacks were extraordinary and certainly worthy of national attention. I can understand why I heard about that incident in the news.

So...in France it's a HUGE deal if one person fires off a couple rounds. Okay...I get it...they take extra special precautions when it comes to who they allow to have firearms...so Again...how did something like this happen in a country like France? 

Are the rules not stringent enough? Maybe they should just ban guns completely.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:52:51 PM »
Every country has acceptable and unacceptable ways to die. France only has about 100 murders by gun per year. And it isn't used to people walking around shooting guns in public. Hence it is news.

If the US, we get all excited when a few guys fly a few airplanes into a few buildings, and start huge wars because 3,000 died. Which is about how many folks we kill per month in car wrecks. But we haven't attacked any car dealerships with our armies yet. People reacting to mayhem can be very fickle.

Its all relative. If there is still an uncaught guy running around with a gun in Paris, it will be news until it stops. At least it beats the crap out of Fox News continuously reporting on the war on christmas.

Keep in mind that the other inspiration for stories like this is the chance for newspapers and tv stations to get more viewers and hence sell more advertising.

And in a world where Kim Kardashian is news, nothing should surprise you anyway.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 02:11:38 AM »
Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

I actually work less than a mile from NATO HQ ... there are regularly flights of black helicopters to and fro ... no kidding.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »

I actually work less than a mile from NATO HQ ... there are regularly flights of black helicopters to and fro ... no kidding.

I have never known you to kid. You're a very sober Belgian.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 09:48:46 AM »
That can't be right.

There are no changement since many years. Do you want to know more about gun laws in France ?