Author Topic: Understanding an Atheist  (Read 992 times)

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
Understanding an Atheist
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Understanding an Atheist
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
Is this assuming every atheist is the same?  I don't think I'm just like every other atheist any more than I was just like every other christian when I was a believer.  Have I missed something?  Is there a rulebook or a decoder ring to being a nonbeliever?  Why can't people just relate to people as individuals.  We both like Italian food - Yay.  You like the Red Sox - Boo.  I like Ozzy, You like the Beach Boys, Can we settle on Bon Jovi?  You believe in something by faith but I need evidence - let's agree to disagree and go get some pizza. 
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »
I'm not sure where you're getting that.  All atheists do share one thing; a non-belief in god(s).

Offline DividedUnderGod

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
Is this assuming every atheist is the same?  I don't think I'm just like every other atheist any more than I was just like every other christian when I was a believer.  Have I missed something?  Is there a rulebook or a decoder ring to being a nonbeliever?  Why can't people just relate to people as individuals.  We both like Italian food - Yay.  You like the Red Sox - Boo.  I like Ozzy, You like the Beach Boys, Can we settle on Bon Jovi?  You believe in something by faith but I need evidence - let's agree to disagree and go get some pizza.

As the author of this book, I can tell you that no, I don't assume every atheist is the same and that is made clear in the book.  I also don't assume every religious person is the same.  What I am trying to do is allow believers into the mind and experiences of an atheist to better tell the story of what it's like to be one, in an effort to bridge the gap between believers and nonbelievers within families and among friends.

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
Welcome!  As this is your first post, I'd like to know how you found this thread so quickly.  Just curious.

Offline DividedUnderGod

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »
Welcome!  As this is your first post, I'd like to know how you found this thread so quickly.  Just curious.

Thanks Star Stuff.  I happened to be looking at the stats for the new site for the book and saw this link as a referral site so I checked it out.  Thanks for posting it and helping to spread the word!

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
Great!  Thanks for writing the book.  As a prisoner-of-war escapee (ex christian) I've often thought of writing a book, but it seems like such an all-consuming task.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »
Well hello DividedUnderGod! Nice to meet you here!

I've been poking around on your website, partially to avoid doing the homework I really should be doing and partially because the SoC&S is a Very Big Deal to me. Looking forward to reading your book!
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
I don't read books. Books read me.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
I've been poking around on your website, partially to avoid doing the homework I really should be doing and partially because the SoC&S is a Very Big Deal to me. Looking forward to reading your book!

Man I hate it when people talk in acronyms.  What does SoC&S mean?

Offline DividedUnderGod

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »
Great!  Thanks for writing the book.  As a prisoner-of-war escapee (ex christian) I've often thought of writing a book, but it seems like such an all-consuming task.

It certainly is.  I've put a lot of work into it and I'm proud of how it's coming along.  Thanks for your support!

Offline DividedUnderGod

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »

Separation of Church & State. Took me a minute too.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »

It's "Nam" not "Man". Sheesh...wait, what?

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline DividedUnderGod

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »

Hi Jag.  Glad you found the site!  I appreciate your support.  I'm hoping to have the book available early next year.  I'll have updates on dividedundergod.com and understandinganatheist.com.  You can also like the FB page /dividedundergod and follow on twitter @dividedundergod for updates.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »

Hi Jag.  Glad you found the site!  I appreciate your support.  I'm hoping to have the book available early next year.  I'll have updates on dividedundergod.com and understandinganatheist.com.  You can also like the FB page /dividedundergod and follow on twitter @dividedundergod for updates.

"Glad you found the site"? The links in the OP. I think you mean, "Glad you went to the site".

-Nam

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »

I see that Divided has already cleared this up. Apologies for the confusing shorthand - I fell into the habit during a poli-sci class that had me using the term all the freaking time in writing. I used a macro to correct it in assignments I had to submit - I'll do better about including the right words when I shorthand terms going forward. 

@Nam - the book has it's own site, which is where the link takes you. There's a separate site with blog posts; that's what we're both referring to.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »

I see that Divided has already cleared this up. Apologies for the confusing shorthand - I fell into the habit during a poli-sci class that had me using the term all the freaking time in writing. I used a macro to correct it in assignments I had to submit - I'll do better about including the right words when I shorthand terms going forward. 

@Nam - the book has it's own site, which is where the link takes you. There's a separate site with blog posts; that's what we're both referring to.

Which the link provides above. It's not like you went to Google to look up, it was linked at the website.

I'm in a bad mood today[1]. Plus, I dislike OP's that just have links. Some of us can't click on every link, and even if we could, the OP should have more than just a link. We expect more from theists when they do it, we should hold the same standard for ourselves.

-Nam
 1. of course when am I ever not?

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
I fell into the habit during a poli-sci class that had me using the term all the freaking time in writing.

OK, but what does "poli-sci" mean?

(Just kidding)

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
I'm in a bad mood today[1].
-Nam

No comment needed as you stated it yourself.  ;) Go ahead and be crabby, I wouldn't know what to do with you if you stopped!

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
Interestingly I've found the biggest chunk of atheists I've met IRL to be the "mercenary singers" (singers with mad skills but no affiliation with the church brought in by the director) in the church choir I was in.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
DUG-

The book looks interesting - thanks for the work. 
I do wonder what your experience has been with theists actually taking the time to read such a book?  I'm fairly new to the atheist road show (about a year - after deconverting from 35 yrs of theism), but I've yet to run into a theist IRL who will do me the common courtesy of reading anything I refer them to or bothering to have an in-depth conversation about it. 

Most all of my friends and all of my family are theists - none really care about "why" I'm an atheist but prefer to just pray for me to see the light or offer any number of books to me in order to bring me back into the cult.

I hope your book helps to change that in some way. Good luck
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
Interestingly I've found the biggest chunk of atheists I've met IRL to be the "mercenary singers" (singers with mad skills but no affiliation with the church brought in by the director) in the church choir I was in.

Pleeeease........stop this people.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:19:30 PM by Star Stuff »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 02:17:46 PM »
I'm in a bad mood today[1].
-Nam

No comment needed as you stated it yourself.  ;) Go ahead and be crabby, I wouldn't know what to do with you if you stopped!

Right there with you.

-Nam

Offline DividedUnderGod

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
DUG-

The book looks interesting - thanks for the work. 
I do wonder what your experience has been with theists actually taking the time to read such a book?  I'm fairly new to the atheist road show (about a year - after deconverting from 35 yrs of theism), but I've yet to run into a theist IRL who will do me the common courtesy of reading anything I refer them to or bothering to have an in-depth conversation about it. 

Most all of my friends and all of my family are theists - none really care about "why" I'm an atheist but prefer to just pray for me to see the light or offer any number of books to me in order to bring me back into the cult.

I hope your book helps to change that in some way. Good luck

Hey Neo,

They're definitely out there.  Surprisingly enough, I've posted about this book in several Christian Facebook groups and have had some positive feedback.  Theists who are close to me have committed to reading it, though I'm sure knowing me has something to do with that.  But yeah, they're out there.  Many religious people are too closed-minded for something like this, but many are willing to check it out, especially those who have a familial struggle going on.  I truly hope there are a few people out there who this can help, and if it takes the atheists in their lives begging them to read it, then so be it.  Ideally, I'd love for religious folks to pick it up on their own though.

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »

Pleeeease........stop this people.

Sorry, dude. thought that one was common knowledge.  I've seen it used on the forum before without protest.  It means "in real life."

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »

<snip>
What I am trying to do is allow believers into the mind and experiences of an atheist to better tell the story of what it's like to be one, in an effort to bridge the gap between believers and nonbelievers within families and among friends.

I'm looking forward to reading it, and I think there is a good demographic of theists who would be interested.  The past few years have been a real "awakening" for atheists, from my point of view - meaning you (the general "you") see them more and more - hiding is no longer necessary (for the most part). Theists are going to have to deal with this more and more.

Anyway, best of luck with your book - it looks very interesting!
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline DividedUnderGod

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »

<snip>
What I am trying to do is allow believers into the mind and experiences of an atheist to better tell the story of what it's like to be one, in an effort to bridge the gap between believers and nonbelievers within families and among friends.

I'm looking forward to reading it, and I think there is a good demographic of theists who would be interested.  The past few years have been a real "awakening" for atheists, from my point of view - meaning you (the general "you") see them more and more - hiding is no longer necessary (for the most part). Theists are going to have to deal with this more and more.

Anyway, best of luck with your book - it looks very interesting!

Thanks for the support Ruby!