Author Topic: Girls!... and Engineering.  (Read 609 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Girls!... and Engineering.
« on: November 18, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »

This is just fantasic.  A great video encouraging girls to become "tinkerers" and become interested in engineering (math and sciences). Of course, obviously we all know this starts with the parents to stop sterotyping genders and interests.

Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Girls!... and Engineering.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
Very cool.  I gave my daughter an 800 piece LEGO Star Wars Limited Edition Hoth Echo Base for her 7th birthday.  She opened the gift back, screamed, fell to the floor, and kissed the box.  :)

Not for every girl.  And certainly not for most 7 year olds.  But for her, it was the PERFECT gift. 

I can't plug a printer into a CPU.  But my big girl has been following complex assembly diagrams since she was 3. 

I really want to get her into one of those "build a robot" classes for kids. 

She is one of the ONLY girls in local chess tournaments.  But she is a girly girl.  Very fashion oriented.  She has tantrums if I pick out clothes for her to wear.  SHE has to pick.  She tells me I make "poor fashion choices."  When she was in kindergarten, she would sometimes weep in the morning (and we needed to be out the door at 6:58 AM, so there is very little time for weeping) because she wasn't satisfied with the way she looked.  She wanted to wear different shoes, or put a ribbon in her hair or some such thing. Now she is BEGGING to get her ears pierced.   

I wear sweat pants and sneakers whenever possible, and I wear lipstick a half a dozen times a year.  So she didn't get it from me.  Not the fashion obsession, nor the innate engineering skill. 

We are complex human beings.     

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »
Conservatives are not going to like this.  If girls are going to work and not stay home raising kids then they should be blonds, show leg, and work for FOX.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »
I can't plug a printer into a CPU.
Don't worry, nobody can ;P

I think this is a good thing, and rather adorable xD
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
I recently volunteered at my daughter's high school to help out the robotics team, of which she is a member. About 1/3 of the team is girls. A 2:1 boy/girl ratio might not sound all that great, but it's way better than what I would have expected a few decades ago. And, at the competition, girls were well-represented on most (but not all) of the teams from other schools as well. There was one team from an all-girls school, and one from an all-boys school.

When I was in high school in the early 1980's, the Electronics class I was in had no girls. My drafting class had only one girl out of around 20-25 students. My Astronomy class had two girls out of about a dozen students. I don't remember any girls in the wood shop classes that I had in middle school, but it seems like there may have been one or two in my high school shop class. In my typing class, on the other hand, I was one of only two boys in a class of 40.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:01:58 PM by Willie »

Offline Wonder Woman

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
I started girl power!!! :laugh:

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
I recently volunteered at my daughter's high school to help out the robotics team, of which she is a member. About 1/3 of the team is girls. A 2:1 boy/girl ratio might not sound all that great, but it's way better than what I would have expected a few decades ago. And, at the competition, girls were well-represented on most (but not all) of the teams from other schools as well. There was one team from an all-girls school, and one from an all-boys school.

When I was in high school in the early 1980's, the Electronics class I was in had no girls. My drafting class had only one girl out of around 20-25 students. My Astronomy class had two girls out of about a dozen students. I don't remember any girls in the wood shop classes that I had in middle school, but it seems like there may have been one or two in my high school shop class. In my typing class, on the other hand, I was one of only two boys in a class of 40.

Yeah, memories. I took home ec., and cooking classes, photography, etc., all mainly girls, very few guys.

;)

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »

I thought that was Betty Boop? Or was that Katherine Hepburn? I forget.

;)

-Nam

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »

I thought that was Betty Boop? Or was that Katherine Hepburn? I forget.

;)

-Nam

According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »

Yeah, memories. I took home ec., and cooking classes, photography, etc., all mainly girls, very few guys.

;)

-Nam
There is no shame in being homosexual Nam.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »

;)

-Nam

Home ec was a required course in my middle school.

---

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 02:35:56 AM »

;)

-Nam
There is no shame in being homosexual Nam.

And there's no shame in pretending to be a homosexual, get invited to a all girl (and one supposed gay guy) slumber party where two of the girls wish to turn me straight by having a threesome with me.

:)

Ahhh...memories.

-Nam
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:37:38 AM by Nam »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 02:40:16 AM »

;)

-Nam

Home ec was a required course in my middle school.

The same in my HS, I took it twice[1]

;)

-Nam
 1. passed the first time with an A dropped out before I could finish the second time

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 02:40:44 AM »

Joan? Is that you? I thought they burned you in the 15th century!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 02:42:15 AM »
And there's no shame in pretending to be a homosexual, get invited to a all girl (and one supposed gay guy) slumber party where two of the girls wish to turn me straight by having a threesome with me.

Ahhh...memories.

-Nam

High resolution video or it didn't happen!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 02:43:28 AM »

Ahhh...memories.

-Nam

You wish ;)

psst, nam, my pm box is open ;)

---

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »

Ahhh...memories.

-Nam

I guess it didn't happen. I had a foursome once when I was 20-that didn't happen either[1].

;)

I've been told I was a "player", in my youth.

-Nam
 1. at a keg party at university of Florida in 1997 (cough, cough)

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »

Ahhh...memories.

-Nam
[/quote]

Nice! Good idea ;)

-Shaffy 8)
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Keyofdoor

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 04:26:42 AM »

Ahhh...memories.

-Nam

I guess it didn't happen. I had a foursome once when I was 20-that didn't happen either[1].

;)

I've been told I was a "player", in my youth.

-Nam
 1. at a keg party at university of Florida in 1997 (cough, cough)

But seriously though, high-res 3 hour movie with a few carrots thrown in or it didn't happen.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »
Hi Keyofdoor.  Welcome to the forums. 

I feel a need to respond to the graphic that you selected to include in your previous post. 

First of all, I want to say that humor is great.  Boobs are lovely.  And sex is fun.   

But I found your graphic to be really offensive.  And I’d like to tell you why.

A mammogram is a cancer screening procedure.  For one out of every 8 women in the US, http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/overviewguide/breast-cancer-overview-key-statistics  a mammogram will, at some point in her life, be the first step in a painful journey, which will include biopsies and perhaps surgery and chemo and radiation, and painful, life-altering procedures accompanied by fear of death.  Here on this forum, we have one member who has shared her experiences as a breast cancer survivor, and another member who is currently undergoing treatment.  We also have a member who has shared his painful journey as the husband of a breast cancer patient.  You can read his story here:  http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23751.0.html

I would like you to think about the graphic that you posted, and consider who would find this graphic funny, and why.  Would a breast cancer survivor find it funny?  Would her husband?  Her sister?  Her children?   I’m guessing probably not.  What about a woman who found a lump during a self exam, who is waiting for the results of a mammogram?    I’m guessing that the only people who would find this funny are men who are really ignorant about what a mammogram is.  On this forum, we try not to celebrate ignorance. 

I would also like to point out that this graphic is especially inappropriate in a thread that was started in the spirit of celebrating the brain-power of girls, who have defied the ”feminine”  roles that society has imposed upon them. 

Again, welcome to the forum.  I think you will find a lot of smart and interesting people here, and I imagine that you will be exposed to a wide range of challenging concepts.  May your time here be fruitful. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:58:41 AM by Quesi »

Offline Keyofdoor

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »
Hi Keyofdoor.  Welcome to the forums. 

I feel a need to respond to the graphic that you selected to include in your previous post. 

First of all, I want to say that humor is great.  Boobs are lovely.  And sex is fun.   

But I found your graphic to be really offensive.  And I’d like to tell you why.

A mammogram is a cancer screening procedure.  For one out of every 8 women in the US, http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/overviewguide/breast-cancer-overview-key-statistics  a mammogram will, at some point in her life, be the first step in a painful journey, which will include biopsies and perhaps surgery and chemo and radiation, and painful, life-altering procedures accompanied by fear of death.  Here on this forum, we have one member who has shared her experiences as a breast cancer survivor, and another member who is currently undergoing treatment.  We also have a member who has shared his painful journey as the husband of a breast cancer patient.  You can read his story here:  http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23751.0.html

I would like you to think about the graphic that you posted, and consider who would find this graphic funny, and why.  Would a breast cancer survivor find it funny?  Would her husband?  Her sister?  Her children?   I’m guessing probably not.  What about a woman who found a lump during a self exam, who is waiting for the results of a mammogram?    I’m guessing that the only people who would find this funny are men who are really ignorant about what a mammogram is.  On this forum, we try not to celebrate ignorance. 

I would also like to point out that this graphic is especially inappropriate in a thread that was started in the spirit of celebrating the brain-power of girls, who have defied the ”feminine”  roles that society has imposed upon them. 

Again, welcome to the forum.  I think you will find a lot of smart and interesting people here, and I imagine that you will be exposed to a wide range of challenging concepts.  May your time here be fruitful.
I apologize and will swiftly edit my post.
edit : I can not edit my post and I request that it be deleted. Sorry I offended you.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:17:36 PM by Keyofdoor »

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »
..... Ahhhh, what did I start here!?

Anyways, Quesi, thanks for the response and great stuff.  You are one of the very few who've I've come across whos child attends chess tournaments; especially being a being a "girl" nonetheless - Just fantastic!  My dad taught me how to play chess the same time he started my gigantic lego collection when I was about 4 or 5.  He wasn't one of those parents who let me win as a child because he wanted me to learn the game, the strategy and forward thinking skills.  Needless to say I think I was around 12 when I able to predictably beat him all too often.  We didn't play as often after that.  :D

Good to hear about your daughters interests and please don't apologize for your lack of fashion etc... In the end it really doesn't matter I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:35:11 PM by DVZ3 »
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."