Author Topic: Would You Ever Torture Your Children With Fire In in the Basement?  (Read 69529 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
Re: Would You Ever Torture Your Children With Fire In in the Basement?
« Reply #348 on: December 05, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
Yep, the only christian advances he can point to were made by demon-filled catholics. Yet he wants to take full credit. For their findings and everyone elses.

Go figure.
What I lack in sophistication I make up for with other shortcomings.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #349 on: December 05, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
Yep, the only christian advances he can point to were made by demon-filled catholics. Yet he wants to take full credit. For their findings and everyone elses.

Go figure.
Changeable so that he is not held accountable for any statement made, enough slime to keep that cognitive dissonance well greased from actual conclusions he doesn't want to hear.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #350 on: December 05, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
Did he actually say that he will only accept abiogenesis as fact if he sees it on a video? Because no scientific experiments, extrapolations or investigations will prove that something happened in the past. Just video.[1]

When is he going to post the videos that support his religious ideas about what happened in the past? The videos of god creating the universe in real time, of Adam and Eve talking (in what language?) to the snake, of Noah loading up the ark with millions of animals in the torrential rain, of Abraham and Moses, of people turning into pillars of flame, of Jesus doing miracles? He must have videos, since he accepts those as fact without any scientific evidence whatsoever.

There is far, far more scientific evidence for abiogenesis, for the age of the earth being 4 billion+ years, for the age of the universe being ~14 billion years, and for all life having arisen from a common ancestor ~3.8 billion years ago than for any of the miracles in the bible. We don't have videos of every past event in real time, but we do at least have the scientific evidence. They got nothing but old stories and strong feelings.

I am sure that skeptic accepts that CSI units get consistent results without video of the actual crime in real time. You don't need a video to suspect your loser neighbor of robbing your house if you apply the scientific method to investigating: if police find his DNA in your living room, glass from your broken window on his closet floor and on his shoes, tracks from his tires on your driveway--and your missing computer and camera in his place. You have pretty good evidence that it was him, and not, say, a blind elderly guy paralyzed and in a wheelchair who lives in a nursing home the next town over, and has no car.

Creationists like skeptic are trying to tell us that, despite all the evidence,  it is far more likely that the elderly guy magically regained his sight, temporarily cured himself of his paralysis, levitated himself over to your house, framed the neighbor for no reason and then returned home, leaving no trace and with no witnesses seeing any of this. Because it says, in a book of fairy tales, that there are people who can do this.

It would be sad and kind of funny if not for the fact that real people have been killed as witches after being accused, with no evidence, of doing impossible shit like that. It is hard to understand how anyone in modern times can think that way.

1. Since we have no video of any event before the mid-19th century, there is no way of knowing what really happened back then. The world could have been created in the year 1725. Maybe none of our ancestors existed, and maybe humans never migrated out of Africa. Columbus never reached the Americas.  Because there is no video!  &)
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +212/-1
« Reply #351 on: December 05, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »
Skeptic...do you honestly, honestly not see the contradictions in your thinking?

Read Nogodsforme's post carefully. She has stated one of your problems very clearly here.

There is all sorts of evidence --incredible amounts of it, all leading clearly and logically toward things like evolution, an old earth, etc, yet every time someone tries to present it to you, you go off on some tangent about how nothing can be empirically proven, or else you simply avoid answering altogether. Yet when it comes to anything about god and your own beliefs about him, you emphatically try to present it as fact even though there is not one piece of evidence outside of an old book of what is indistinguishable from any other mythology. And you have absolutely no problem when it comes to anything in this text being far, far less concrete and far more contradictory in its assertations compared to the scientific discoveries in present day.

Don't you see even a tiny discrepancy in what you demand from us as evidence and what you blithely accept for yourself?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +475/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #352 on: December 05, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Could you answer the 2nd of my questions as well?

There is no question you could ever ask skep that would make him skeptical.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +475/-8
« Reply #353 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
When is he going to post the videos that support his religious ideas about what happened in the past? The videos of god creating the universe in real time, of Adam and Eve talking (in what language?) to the snake, of Noah loading up the ark with millions of animals in the torrential rain, of Abraham and Moses, of people turning into pillars of flame, of Jesus doing miracles? He must have videos, since he accepts those as fact without any scientific evidence whatsoever.

The thing you are missing, is that Skep is 99.99% percent sure that his Biblical God exists, therefore he requires no video evidence, because it's a given. Whilst, abiogenesis, he is 99.99% percent sure that it didn't happen, so it requires stern evidence to convince him that something that could not have happened, actually did happen.

/slight sarcasm
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #354 on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »

The thing you are missing, is that Skep is 99.99% percent sure that his Biblical God exists, therefore he requires no video evidence, because it's a given. Whilst, abiogenesis, he is 99.99% percent sure that it didn't happen, so it requires stern evidence to convince him that something that could not have happened, actually did happen.

/slight sarcasm

Wrong. He believes 100%. Which is sad. No one who doesn't believe less defends it to such an extent. Even OldChurchGuy, and magicmiles relent once in awhile.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +212/-1
« Reply #355 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
But the thing which really gets to me is that even though HE may believe 100%, he can't seem to understand that his reasoning relies on huge suppositions and assumptions which he would never accept in an opposing view. He just feels that those things can be glossed right over in his arguments while nit-picking every little thing in the opposition. Nit-picking to the point of absurdity with flights of solipsism and semantics which take the questions way out of the realm of what was even being originally asked. That's his strategy, I guess...just go off on such tangents that the original point gets lost and buried somewhere, and none of the real questions ever actually get answers.

In point of fact, it seems much more likely that since he is one who decided to become a theist (if I recall correctly, after a prayer for the recovery of a friend's dog -- and his vow to devote his life to god if it did get well --was seemingly answered), he is forced to stick his fingers in his ears and eyes so as to be sure not to let any provoking question or doubt so much as even enter his mind. As is often stated here, it is impossible to simply decide to believe in something by force of will. But somehow his rash vow became a point of honor, so he was bound to find a way to keep it.

It's quite impressive, really, as a sheer act of misguided integrity.

At least, that's about the only way I can understand it.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +475/-8
« Reply #356 on: December 05, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
his rash vow became a point of honor,

I missed the rash vow, but I know another Christian who said she'd become a Christian if God saved her daughter. Of course her daughter wasn't dead, when she made the vow.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #357 on: December 06, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
But the thing which really gets to me is that even though HE may believe 100%, he can't seem to understand that his reasoning relies on huge suppositions and assumptions which he would never accept in an opposing view.

That's because he doesn't understand. And, when I say that, I don't mean what he means in that he doesn't understand an opposing view to his own, i actually mean he doesn't understand, at all. He understands nothing, not even what he says is true. He just believes it's true because of one single event in his life that he attributes to his current viewpoint. Which, in of itself, isn't even understanding anything just what he chooses to interpret it as.

When he debates, he doesn't understand how to debate even when explained to him which is why when he was challenged to a debate i stated he'd lose on his first comment. And, he hss no wont to learn because it, in his mind, doesn't propagate his belief. To him.

Also, if one notices: he uses our style (ineffectively) against us. If I use a certain type of argument, or you do, etc., then he attempts to argue against us in that style because he doesn't have one of his own because he doesn't understand how to not only debate/argue his point but he can't understand either points (in the style) that he's arguing for/against.

Look at all the known phrases (in the debate realm and/ or atheist/scientist) used by us against him. He attempts to use those against us without actually understanding their correct usage.

He just feels that those things can be glossed right over in his arguments while nit-picking every little thing in the opposition. Nit-picking to the point of absurdity with flights of solipsism and semantics which take the questions way out of the realm of what was even being originally asked.

That's his only recourse in argumentation because that's what he does with his own beliefs. Since he doesn't question his own process, how can he then argue with anyone else. His process, for his beliefs, works for him (because they are dictated by him) and he feels thusly that it would work for others, and he just doesn't understand why it doesn't work for us since it works for him, against himself.

That's his strategy, I guess...just go off on such tangents that the original point gets lost and buried somewhere, and none of the real questions ever actually get answers.

Because he can't understand his logic as being flawed, and why we don't understand his wisdom, which isn't.

In point of fact, it seems much more likely that since he is one who decided to become a theist (if I recall correctly, after a prayer for the recovery of a friend's dog -- and his vow to devote his life to god if it did get well --was seemingly answered), he is forced to stick his fingers in his ears and eyes so as to be sure not to let any provoking question or doubt so much as even enter his mind. As is often stated here, it is impossible to simply decide to believe in something by force of will. But somehow his rash vow became a point of honor, so he was bound to find a way to keep it.

He believes he helped Biblegod  in a "miracle". He can't understand why he actually didn't, nor why we don't believe him. This is because before the "miracle" his understanding process was the same as it is now. He doesn't try to better his understanding because he believes he understands everything and Biblegod  validates that for him.

It's not impressive, it's pitiful.

-Nam
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:23:22 AM by Nam »

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #358 on: December 06, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »

Not just that. The writing in blood saying "get out" that appeared on my friend's wall and disappeared while I was staring at it.

This stuff is rock solid proof to me. Greater than any logical argument. What has been seen can not be unseen.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #359 on: December 06, 2013, 12:34:18 AM »

Not just that. The writing in blood saying "get out" that appeared on my friend's wall and disappeared while I was staring at it.

This stuff is rock solid proof to me. Greater than any logical argument. What has been seen can not be unseen.

Not only proving my point but everyone else's, too.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2013, 01:35:48 AM »

A guy that only talks to you and lies to Pat Robertson (Who was told by god that Obama wouldn't be re-elected) has no ability to impress. Me or anyone else. Besides you and Pat.

If I saw something happen that seemed impossible, I would first and foremost suspect my own brain, long before I would start suspecting some unknown or hoped for force in the universe. My second guess would be a misunderstanding between my brain and my eyes. I'd also check the side-effects of any medication I was taking, legal or otherwise.

Were you looking for god when you found him? Minds that actually inquire want to know.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »

-Nam

Nam, please tell me what point of yours I am proving.

I am getting frustrated with these beating around the bush type of answers. Can I read minds? Then, how would I know what point you are referring to?

Please stop the passive-aggressive nonsense.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »

A guy that only talks to you and lies to Pat Robertson (Who was told by god that Obama wouldn't be re-elected) has no ability to impress. Me or anyone else. Besides you and Pat.

If I saw something happen that seemed impossible, I would first and foremost suspect my own brain, long before I would start suspecting some unknown or hoped for force in the universe. My second guess would be a misunderstanding between my brain and my eyes. I'd also check the side-effects of any medication I was taking, legal or otherwise.

Were you looking for god when you found him? Minds that actually inquire want to know.

If you applied that much skepticism to your everyday life, you would be a solipsist. But, you are not a solipsist. This means you have one standard of evidence for everyday life, and another standard for rare events. This means you are trying to dismiss anything contrary to your worldview.

So a quick question, how rare does something have to be to demand different standards? If blood appeared and disappeared every day on the wall, would you still think your eyes are playing tricks on you?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +184/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #363 on: December 06, 2013, 01:47:47 AM »

-Nam

I am getting frustrated with these beating around the bush type of answers. Can I read minds? Then, how would I know what point you are referring to?

As are we with the Dodgeing
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +184/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #364 on: December 06, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »

If you applied that much skepticism to your everyday life, you would be a solipsist. But, you are not a solipsist. This means you have one standard of evidence for everyday life, and another standard for rare events. This means you are trying to dismiss anything contrary to your worldview.

So a quick question, how rare does something have to be to demand different standards? If blood appeared and disappeared every day on the wall, would you still think your eyes are playing tricks on you?
No me as most would seek professional help for our mental disorder
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #365 on: December 06, 2013, 02:10:45 AM »

-Nam

I really don't know why you label me as "passive-aggressive" when I have never in my life showed such. Yet another phrase you don't understand and apply frivolously to one you object to.

Proving my point every post you make.

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #366 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:25 AM »
I really don't know why you label me as "passive-aggressive" when I have never in my life showed such. Yet another phrase you don't understand and apply frivolously to one you object to.

-Nam

You're one of a kind, Nam.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #367 on: December 06, 2013, 02:14:29 AM »

-Nam

You're one of a kind, Nam.

Your answer is proving my point.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Fellow
  • Darwins +327/-14
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2013, 02:27:27 AM »

Just because you thought you saw something appear on a wall, why would this have anything to do with Christianity?

This stuff is rock solid proof to me. Greater than any logical argument.

This means you are trying to dismiss anything contrary to your worldview.

How does a solipsist account for his own coming into existence?
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:29 AM »

-Nam

You give me headaches.

Nothing but love for you anyway, brother.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #370 on: December 06, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »

In the same way you account for it in your dream. You're just there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #371 on: December 06, 2013, 02:30:22 AM »

-Nam

You give me headaches.

Nothing but love for you anyway, brother.

Still proving my point.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Fellow
  • Darwins +327/-14
« Reply #372 on: December 06, 2013, 02:36:36 AM »

In the same way you account for it in your dream. You're just there.

In a dream you might just accept that you were there, but in real life you know that you had a childhood and are not just there.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #373 on: December 06, 2013, 02:43:41 AM »
In a dream you might just accept that you were there, but in real life you know that you had a childhood and are not just there.

You know you had a childhood, but don't for sure about anyone else, like in a dream.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #374 on: December 06, 2013, 02:45:14 AM »

You know you had a childhood, but don't for sure about anyone else, like in a dream.

Actually witnessing with one's own eyes another child growing up is actually a dream? Again: you're proving my point.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #375 on: December 06, 2013, 02:49:49 AM »

The problem with that question is that it is such a big if that I can't answer it. My experience is with things that are common. Nothing has ever happened in my life that, if I told the story to others, would cause them to question my veracity. So what I am trying to do is imagine something outside of not only my experience, but also outside of the experiences of almost everyone else. And I can't do it. Your story is something out of a sci-fi or horror book/movie, not real life.

I can only apply standards to things which I have had a chance to set standards. I have none for the paranormal or the bizarre.

And rarity has little to do with it. I'm trying to think of the rarest thing I've experienced personally, and the best I can come up with is a big earthquake (I'm talking about rare for me, not rare for the world or for people living in earthquake zones). It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening, and then after understanding the situation, I started wondering if I was going to get overwhelmed by how powerful it was, but then it died down and things returned to normal. Now had I never heard of earthquakes, I might have had some kind of mystical moment, until I found out that they are normal. Then I'd ingest that info and get back to living.

Obviously blood on the wall is just plain not normal, so if that is what you actually experienced, it is far weirder than a silly old quake. I'm not comparing the two, just telling you what my limited experience has been.

So I'm SOL in this department. Nothing strange has happened to me. All I can do is try to imagine experiences such as the one you have related, and all I can do it assume, until I have better information, that it didn't really happen the way you are saying it did (which does not mean that you are lying. There may be valid explanations for why you think something happened that didn't that do not involve dishonesty on your part). Or perhaps it happened. But I doubt it.

You say that something fantastic occurred, then the physical proof of at least the blood on the wall disappeared, and all you were left with was a story. And you expect people to believe you. I should note that a very religious friend called me this evening and I asked him what his reaction would be to such a story and he shrugged it off as the talk of someone crazy. He very much believes in approximately the same god you do, but he doesn't accept the story either. So what can I say.

You should know by now that atheists aren't easily impressed. It is you that need to do better, not us. Our negative reactions are the norm under these circumstances.

Your solipsism discussion does nothing. If it is correct, then you can only be sure that you are talking to yourself. Which would make our words about 50 times as scary because they would have to be coming from your own mind. Of course, it this is all solipsistic for me, then I'm 100 times more scared, because your words are coming from my mind. Ick.

It is not something to argue about, because if you win, you end up realizing you were talking to your self. Which takes the fun out of being right. I'd go find some other big word if I were you.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Fellow
  • Darwins +327/-14
« Reply #376 on: December 06, 2013, 02:54:36 AM »

So knowing he had a childhood, how would a solipsist account for his becoming a child, since it is perceived as a beginning both from one's own thoughts and witnessing others being born?