Author Topic: Noah  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Noah
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
what about Ben-Hur ( the charlton hestion version)?

I found it overly repetitious.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Wasserbuffel

• Student
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »
For example here with too many snakes on the boat.

I'm tired of these mother f*ing snakes on this mother f*ing boat!

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
wonder if it has flooded compartments for the water snakes?
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
What has Ken Ham said about this movie? I have not heard from him yet.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »
I think they'd do better not trying to treat this as the Noah story.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
I think they'd do better not trying to treat this as the Noah story.

How else could they treat it as? It's called "Noah", it's probably about a worldwide flood, two of every animal etc.,

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
The way they were tossed around on that boat looked like the bridge on Star Trek.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
Maybe it was people climbing the outside.. Klingons?
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »

Or perhaps, the Asgards?
Speaking of, which one is that in your avatar?
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
^^ It's the "Judge Doom" of the Asgard, clearly.

The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »

Or perhaps, the Asgards?

Thor.

Wielder of the mighty banhammer.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »

Or perhaps, the Asgards?

Thor.

Wielder of the mighty banhammer.

That's who I thought it was, but for all I know, it could have been Loki xD.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 12:51:55 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_carrier

Wiki page on livestock transport,no way two of every animal on earth could get on a dozen of these ships never mind one,and this is with high tech modern vessels
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »
Wow, great article!

I knew the space limitation was a problem.  After all if you take two (or seven) of every animal on earth there just isn't space, even if you were to blend them up into goo.  Nowhere in the bible was Tardis technology mentioned.
Of course the food and water problem is an issue.. except 'magic'.
Never thought about air circulation though.  Yet another simple problem requiring a magic solution.

"Magic: Can't live without it, too bad it doesn't exist." ~Noah as he dies of asphyxiation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 01:19:19 AM »
By the time they built a boat to fit 2 of every animal on the planet into it, they'd be dead of old age. Oh but they lived hundreds of years, right? They'd still be dead unless they had tens of thousands building it but I doubt that many people would build such a thing that they couldn't, themselves, get passage on.

-Nam

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 01:46:00 AM »
I weep for Emma Watson's career ... She should be the most hotly sought after actress of the moment and she took this gig? Where she'll be upstaged by Russell Crowe, Anthony Hopkins and the CGIs[1]? This is the best job she could land? Really?
Another Claire Danes in the making ... well at least we'll have something to look forward to, a decade or two down the line.
 1.  in reverse order
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +828/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
For example here with too many snakes on the boat.

I'm tired of these mother f*ing snakes on this mother f*ing boat!

Those snakes were....creepy.[1] I predict nightmares among the little home-schooled literal Christian kids who are forced to watch this as part of their curriculum. They had to watch Mel Gibson's R-rated Jesus film.... :o

And were those bats or birds? Hard to tell at least from a biblical perspective. ;)
 1. Or should I say, creeping?  ;D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 12:01:27 AM »
Is this how Christian's can explain evolution? Two of every animal does not mean two tigers,two Bobcats,two lions,just two "cats" that later evolved into different "species" of cats. Two goats,,,,,evolves into many,bears,dogs,flies,ants....well you get the picture.

He only needs two of every un-evolved species,takes care of the space and food issues and wraps it into a neat little "plausible" scenario.

There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
And were those bats or birds? Hard to tell at least from a biblical perspective. ;)

Hang on, did birds even get to come along? They don't really walk or creep upon the Earth.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Penguins probably did as long as they were kept far away from the shark tanks.  The ark did have shark tanks right?
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
Is this how Christian's can explain evolution? Two of every animal does not mean two tigers,two Bobcats,two lions,just two "cats" that later evolved into different "species" of cats. Two goats,,,,,evolves into many,bears,dogs,flies,ants....well you get the picture.

He only needs two of every un-evolved species,takes care of the space and food issues and wraps it into a neat little "plausible" scenario.

It's a pretty common YEC type argument.  It depends entirely un-ironically on a sort of 'hyper evolution'.  There is no problem that the big flood does not create more problems for.

All the oceans for example would be full of dead fish.
All the plants on earth... dead.
All the animals... how did they get to the boat?
All the animals... how did they get to where they wound up?

8 people does not really give us enough genetic diversity to survive as a species, even with uh... carefully managed incest.[1]

Even if you only use 2 of every critter, and blend them into juice there still isn't enough room.  That's assuming they don't need to eat (food storage) drink (fresh water) or breathe (fresh air), or live in a water environment (amphibians?) .. who was the lucky person to carry all the fleas, ticks and mosquitos?

It works fine as a story... not so great if it's supposed to be real, like the majority of that particular religious book.

1. eww.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »
28 Days Later was a pretty good zombie[1] flick... does that count?
 1. Matt 27
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »
Why was Noah wearing blue jeans at 0:14 in the preview?  Was he the named Noah Levi?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »
Why was Noah wearing blue jeans at 0:14 in the preview?  Was he the named Noah Levi?

They're dungarees made by the fine linen of the animal feces that he had for the boat.

Duh.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +828/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »
Wow, great article!

I knew the space limitation was a problem.  After all if you take two (or seven) of every animal on earth there just isn't space, even if you were to blend them up into goo.  Nowhere in the bible was Tardis technology mentioned.
Never thought about air circulation though.  Yet another simple problem requiring a magic solution.

"Magic: Can't live without it, too bad it doesn't exist." ~Noah as he dies of asphyxiation.

People who treat the Noah story as real either have never been to a zoo or never been on a farm. Or been to an animal shelter to adopt a pet. Or watched All Creatures Great and Small.

It takes a hella amount of work to maintain a diverse group of animals--it's fulltime work for several trained people under the best conditions. Under less than the best conditions, add more people and more time. You still will end up with animals getting sick and dying from the unsanitary environment.

You can't even keep two dogs or two chickens in an enclosed space for more than a day or two without, well, let's just say it gets very nasty PDQ. Imagine a boat full of seasick beasties....

Believers in Noah's ark, please stop trying to explain the tale scientifically. We could not replicate it with today's technology--thermometers, fans, electric lights, water pumps, de-humidifiers, antibiotics, animal tranquilizers, refrigeration, air conditioning, food preservation and storage, and all the computer monitors to remotely keep track of each critter. There is no possibility of it happening in some BCE time without all of those things.  Just say god did it by magic. You will look less foolish.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
Magic,noGods,Magic.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
Wow, great article!

People who treat the Noah story as real either have never been to a zoo or never been on a farm. Or been to an animal shelter to adopt a pet. Or watched All Creatures Great and Small.

It takes a hella amount of work to maintain a diverse group of animals--it's fulltime work for several trained people under the best conditions. Under less than the best conditions, add more people and more time. You still will end up with animals getting sick and dying from the unsanitary environment.

You can't even keep two dogs or two chickens in an enclosed space for more than a day or two without, well, let's just say it gets very nasty PDQ. Imagine a boat full of seasick beasties....

Believers in Noah's ark, please stop trying to explain the tale scientifically. We could not replicate it with today's technology--thermometers, fans, electric lights, water pumps, de-humidifiers, antibiotics, animal tranquilizers, refrigeration, air conditioning, food preservation and storage, and all the computer monitors to remotely keep track of each critter. There is no possibility of it happening in some BCE time without all of those things.  Just say god did it by magic. You will look less foolish.

This is true, and not true. In confined places, such as a boat, sure but one person can take care of the needs of certain animals. In 1996 to 1998 (minus four months) I took care, by myself (after he trained me) my grandfather's cattle. Over 250 head. Every single day. Fed them, made sure they had everything they needed, made sure the fences (electric or otherwise) were in working order, etc., I'm sure many other animals do not need several people to care for them.

Now, enclosed spaces--that's a different story all together. What we're supposed to believe, such as with the "dinosaurs", we have to believe that Biblegod  will temporarily, I guess, make them calm and obey their human masters.

But taking care of animals can be a one person job, dependent on the animal.

-Nam

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:43 AM »
It works fine as a story... not so great if it's supposed to be real, like the majority of that particular religious book.

It doesn't even work all that well as a story. At least in the ancient Greek floodmyth, more than two of each animal survived, and while only two human were left, they did manage to repopulate the Earth in a non-incesty way. They planted lumps of iron which, over night, grew into people. Hey, if you're going to accept a global flood, an agricultural race of iron men isn't that much of an additional stretch.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2013, 02:01:34 AM »
The bible states that it was 2 of EVERY animal...

So how did he get 2 of these?

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.