• Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
Noah
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
Noah

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959490/

facepalm.

Triple facepalm.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
Re: Noah
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »
Looks like a good fiction movie.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »
They say that it's ambiguous whether it's set in the future.  I asked when they would also do Xenu, because he was the one who brought souls to the volcano.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »
MB, I'll be the first to admit I was excited to hear about this a couple years ago. From what I had read it sounded like it was going to be an epic Odyssey type movie. I can't find the article I read but to paraphrase the director: "It isn't going to be religious- it's a fable we can turn into an epic." That trailer though...yeesh... I'll have to pass.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
Not sure you CAN do the story of Noah, or in this case NOAH!!! without having it be religious.

I'm still trying to figure out where the exploding sword comes in.  Sure, it's a pretty cool effect but ah... what?
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out where the exploding sword comes in.  Sure, it's a pretty cool effect but ah... what?

There was one flaming sword in the Bible which protected the tree of life after Adam and Eve were cast out. Could be a spin off that.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 01:08:25 AM »
Looks like a 10/10 movie. An instant classic.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »
Don't see a lot of trees in that shot... maybe they were all chopped up for the the ark?  After all it's made of penguinbark or somesuch right?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 05:33:02 AM »
Noah looks like a bad ass.  Where did he get his magic sword?  From He Man?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
They even put in the creationist theories of water coming up from out of the Earth.

I hope this shit flops spectacularly and bankrupts the studios involved.

and Emma Watson... you are no longer my favourite fantasy. Go hang your head in shame!

Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 08:01:38 AM »
BAHAHAHAHA...

Man, i love religious movies, they are the most stupid things my eyes have ever seen.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »
At least religious people may see the similarities with fiction movies like Lord of the Rings and discover their religion is all made up bullshit.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +512/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »
At least religious people may see the similarities with fiction movies like Lord of the Rings and discover their religion is all made up bullshit.
The trouble is that people identify with characters from LoR, and are likely to identify with characters from this piece of garbage thus confirming their belief. Therre should be a warning that precedes films of this type: "All characters and events in this film are imaginary. Any similarity between known history and what is portrayed is purely coincidental."
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
http://beginningandend.com/russell-crowes-noah-film-a-warning-for-christians/

Read this. Apparently Aronofsky fucked it up really well, so it looks like LoTR vs Greenpeace.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +512/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
It gets worse! The film is illiterate, juvenile garbage and suddenly some godbotherer says it isn't garbage enough. "We need more ridiculous and improbable things!" You couldn't make this stuff up!
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
The story of Jesus by Mel Gibson was BAD enough.......now this crap
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +827/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
Are there any good, well-made religious movies that are also acceptable by believers? Is it possible to make a mythical tale into something that both believers in that particular faith and, well, the rest of the planet can accept and enjoy?  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
Part of the problem is that these huge, epic Old Testament events really only add up to a few sentences, so anything as ambitious as a motion picture (or, at least, one which lasts more than five or ten minutes, tops) will necessarily have more filler, more artistic license, more personal interpretations and more sheer, extra-biblical invention than anything else. There's simply no way around it. Even if someone was aiming to make a film which was totally respectful of the original narrative, there would have to be so much more invented material than anything pulled directly from the source that there would always be bits bound to offend, anger or confuse certain people.

I'm not a huge fan of theses epic type movies in any case, but I don't particularly see where treating the story as basically a piece of mythology in the same vein as anything pulled from the Greek,  Roman, Norse or Egyptian pantheons (for example) would make it less entertaining just because it's (apparently pretty loosely) based on a story which most of us were probably presented with as though it was true at some point. Plus, if it does end up painting Biblegod in a less-than-favorable light, it will be amusing to see the backlash.

Anyway, I notice that Anthony Hopkins is in it, and since I've been pretty much in love with him for the past 40 years, I might give it a watch.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »
I just love the tag-line "Rediscover the epic story of one man and the most remarkable event in our history." Kind of says that Jesus' life couldn't have been that remarkable. Lol. Perhaps it was made by Jews

And it's not even positing itself as a fictional tale at all. 
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »
Are there any good, well-made religious movies that are also acceptable by believers? Is it possible to make a mythical tale into something that both believers in that particular faith and, well, the rest of the planet can accept and enjoy?  :?
It's been a long time since I've seen it so I can't speak of the quality but would Charlton Heston's "The Ten Commandments" count?  I know it has been on tv several times, but I can't remember if it would qualify as a "good" movie.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen it so I can't speak of the quality but would Charlton Heston's "The Ten Commandments" count?  I know it has been on tv several times, but I can't remember if it would qualify as a "good" movie.

It's really dated, for me, when I try to watch it anymore, but it did rank as one of my favorite movies for a while when I was younger. I first saw it back in 1970 or so, when it was being screened (for whatever reason) by a local drive-in (dating myself even more right there!), and it definitely made an impression on my 11-year-old self. Which probably isn't the most ringing endorsement, but as movies from that time period go, especially Biblical epics, I'd say it was quite well made.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 07:03:52 PM »
Need a boat?

I Noah guy!

BAHAHAHA...*sigh*...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 11:53:02 PM »

Hard to say.  The Last Temptation of Christ was decent, it was picketed by Christians for showing Jesus as a human... but that was before they saw it.
Nice soundtrack too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I just love the tag-line "Rediscover the epic story of one man and the most remarkable event in our history." Kind of says that Jesus' life couldn't have been that remarkable. Lol. Perhaps it was made by Jews

And it's not even positing itself as a fictional tale at all.

Guess Jesus ranks, what... third or fourth most remarkable? 
He needed that flaming sword.

------------ - - - -

It looks like the movie is going with having ALL the variations of every species on the boat.

For example here with too many snakes on the boat.

I wonder if it'll show him dropping each set of creatures on the appropriate continents.  "Ok, all marsupials hop off here".

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »

Troy
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 02:08:27 AM »
Never was a fan of Emma, but this is kinda sad :/

Need a boat?

I Noah guy!

BAHAHAHA...*sigh*...
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 02:56:57 AM »

I'm not one but I enjoyed "Kingdom of Heaven", the Director's cut, never seen the theatrical. Aronofsky is a pretty good director, though I didn't care for The Black Swan, but I enjoyed his other films.

Look at skeptic: loves it because...why? I have no idea. I mean, he's stated before he's a NT Christian, so why he's excited about a "Jewish" film is beyond me.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 02:59:30 AM »

It's okay. The silent version is much better.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 05:04:58 AM »
what about Ben-Hur ( the charlton hestion version)?

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »
Yes.  It is a magnificent film to behold.  It is golden age style with over-the-top melodrama all wrapped into a stunning visual package.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard