Author Topic: Nice church you got there, shame if something were to happen to it  (Read 624 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Got this from Belgian Teletext, but I'm sure there are articles floating about.
The pope is getting pushback from an unexpected corner ... the mafia.
Seems Pope Franky has been condemning priests in southern Italy who entertain amicable relations with the Mafia. But that's not the worst of it. Apparently Franky also wants the Vatican bank to ... erm ... stop laundering Mafia money ... come again  :?
And this is, again apparently, something of a ... common knowledge.  :? :? :?

So, now the Mafia is a bit miffed at Franky and just might do something about it.
Can you imagine the thouroughly Catholic Mafia offing the head of the Catholic church?
That could easily devolve into a massive bloodbath of ... Catholic on Catholic violence. (Hey, methinks this would make for a smashing short story!!! Machinegun preachers duking it out with mobsters  :laugh: )

Did I go a bit ... ellipsis crazy there?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Re: Nice church you got there, shame if something were to happen to it
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:14:55 AM »
^

Wasn't that the basic plot of The Godfather Part III?  It's been 15 years or so since I've seen the movie, so I really don't remember.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:19:28 AM »
Godfather III sucked. I'd tell you but I don't remember, it sucked that bad.

The OP,

That's just funny.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »
That could easily devolve into a massive bloodbath of ... Catholic on Catholic violence. (Hey, methinks this would make for a smashing short story!!! Machinegun preachers duking it out with mobsters  :laugh: )

Did I go a bit ... ellipsis crazy there?

Brilliant I can just see the film

Rev. Tommy: You mean, let me understand this, 'cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm pious how? I mean pious like I'm a priest? I absolve you? I make you spiritual, I'm here to fuckin' absolve you? What do you mean pious? pious how? How am I pious?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:28:17 AM »
They will just give Francis an offer he can't refuse.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »
They will just give Francis an offer he can't refuse.

You mean, like, a new car, right?   ;D

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:42:41 AM »
^^ Bullet-proof no doubt

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
^

Wasn't that the basic plot of The Godfather Part III?  It's been 15 years or so since I've seen the movie, so I really don't remember.
I believe it was ;) :laugh:
-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
Godfather III sucked. I'd tell you but I don't remember, it sucked that bad.
I believe it was ;) :laugh:
-Shaffy

There was no Godfather part 3.

Now let us never speak of it again.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »
I have a similar reaction where Highlander is concerned.
There can be only one and that one is Conner MacLeod.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Did someone say Highlander?  I resemble that remark
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
Sarah Palin is slamming the pope now as being to liberal.  So between Palin and the mafia his days are surely numbered.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
Did someone say Highlander?  I resemble that remark
No lie: first time I saw your avatar I seriously considered changing mine to a pic of Clancy Brown for a while.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 05:22:40 PM »
Stop it you guys! Seriously! Now I have Pope Franky, Don Corleone and Sarah Palin in my head, squaring off in the colosseum, with katanas ... Beatrix Kiddo might be there too ... and Spartacus. Morricone is providing the soundtrack.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »
Stop it you guys! Seriously! Now I have Pope Franky, Don Corleone and Sarah Palin in my head, squaring off in the colosseum, with katanas ... Beatrix Kiddo might be there too ... and Spartacus. Morricone is providing the soundtrack.

Is Sarah Palin in her polar bear hunting outfit? ;) ;D
http://aattp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/palin-hunt.jpg
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 04:59:16 AM »
LMAO @ the thread title...

I dont even know which side I would cheer for

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 02:08:33 AM »
This is CLEARLY a sit back and grab the popcorn kind of event. Cheering is optional ... except when it is for maximum carnage.
It should be televised/livestreamed ... with televoting ... "and the viewers at home have given Pope Franky ... THE CHAINSAW!"
*the crowd goes mad*

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »
This is CLEARLY a sit back and grab the popcorn kind of event. Cheering is optional ... except when it is for maximum carnage.
It should be televised/livestreamed ... with televoting ... "and the viewers at home have given Pope Franky ... THE CHAINSAW!"
*the crowd goes mad*
Are we doing this Running Man style?

- Eddie Izzard

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 01:42:42 AM »
Pope Franky: I'll be back
Us: Not even in the afterlife

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
If the mafia doesn't get him, the Teabaggers are going to hire them to put a hit on him anyway:Franky doesn't seem to care much for capitalists

Snippet: I. SOME CHALLENGES OF TODAY’S WORLD

52. In our time humanity is experiencing a turning-point in its history, as we can see from the advances being made in so many fields. We can only praise the steps being taken to improve people’s welfare in areas such as health care, education and communications. At the same time we have to remember that the majority of our contemporaries are barely living from day to day, with dire consequences. A number of diseases are spreading. The hearts of many people are gripped by fear and desperation, even in the so-called rich countries. The joy of living frequently fades, lack of respect for others and violence are on the rise, and inequality is increasingly evident. It is a struggle to live and, often, to live with precious little dignity. This epochal change has been set in motion by the enormous qualitative, quantitative, rapid and cumulative advances occuring in the sciences and in technology, and by their instant application in different areas of nature and of life. We are in an age of knowledge and information, which has led to new and often anonymous kinds of power.

No to an economy of exclusion

53. Just as the commandment “Thou shalt not kill” sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say “thou shalt not” to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills. How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points? This is a case of exclusion. Can we continue to stand by when food is thrown away while people are starving? This is a case of inequality. Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest, where the powerful feed upon the powerless. As a consequence, masses of people find themselves excluded and marginalized: without work, without possibilities, without any means of escape.

Human beings are themselves considered consumer goods to be used and then discarded. We have created a “disposable” culture which is now spreading. It is no longer simply about exploitation and oppression, but something new. Exclusion ultimately has to do with what it means to be a part of the society in which we live; those excluded are no longer society’s underside or its fringes or its disenfranchised – they are no longer even a part of it. The excluded are not the “exploited” but the outcast, the “leftovers”.

54. In this context, some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting. To sustain a lifestyle which excludes others, or to sustain enthusiasm for that selfish ideal, a globalization of indifference has developed. Almost without being aware of it, we end up being incapable of feeling compassion at the outcry of the poor, weeping for other people’s pain, and feeling a need to help them, as though all this were someone else’s responsibility and not our own. The culture of prosperity deadens us; we are thrilled if the market offers us something new to purchase; and in the meantime all those lives stunted for lack of opportunity seem a mere spectacle; they fail to move us.

He's doomed. Their fact allergy is going to be the death of him.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +891/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
^^^Some of the most compassionate and brave folks I have known are catholic nuns (and a few priests) in poor countries who epitomize these sentiments. They are really trying to do the good things that the bible says to do. And they have a uphill battle, even though most people they are fighting against also claim to be Christians...
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
I'm finding myself genuinely liking this guy - he's far from perfect, but all things considered he's a huge improvement. He keeps speaking out on topics that really tweak people though, and I'm not entirely joking when I make cracks about his future well being.

My personal experience with nuns has been largely ... not positive, due to a Catholic elementary school education. But I certainly don't assume that all nuns are like the ones I knew from childhood - I was literally cheering on the "nuns on the bus" and making it a point to mention them whenever their story could be slipped into the conversation. I don't pretend to understand the decision to join a convent (I'm far too hedonistic to be that self-denying), but I can certainly respect anyone who works on behalf of others in need.

I see what look to me like three big disconnects within the RCC - US Catholics vs. Catholics in any other country; RCC leadership and the real world; and use of resources/money/influence. This guy looks like he may be ready to tackle at least two of them, which both cheers me up a bit, and makes me expect to hear of his demise at any moment.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."