Author Topic: Amputees [#2774]  (Read 399 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Amputees [#2774]
« on: November 13, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
What were the chances of survival for a Greek/Roman style amputation?  By the time of the American Civil War, the chances were 1 in 4 surviving the operation with that statistic not including those who died later from infection. 

Take away at least 1000 years, were the amputees during the time period you are referring to on your web page likely to survive any acts?  How many amputees specifically asked to be healed?  How many of them were in contact with one of the scriptural writers or historians in order for their results to be recorded into a book that would survive for thousands of years? 

Your argument seems fallacious and built more on the thesis of why none of the prominent scriptures mention the healing of amputated humans.

I guess God favors geckos, iguanas, and Egyptian spiny rats more in terms of regenerating lost body parts.  They must not complain so much.

--

WebRep

Overall rating

[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Re: Amputees [#2774]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
If god is around, why would amputees have had a low survival rate throughout history?

Either god doesn't give a shit about amputees, is unable to heal them, or he doesn't exist.

It doesn't look good for god, any way you paint it.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
I am not the author of the video but if you think that it is referencing only amputees from biblical times then you are completely wrong.

The question is as relevant to today's amputees as to all the others throughout history and the simple fact is that god(s) don't restore limbs. In the specific case of the video; the christian god doesn't heal them.

There are any number of ailments that people claim miraculous cures via the divine intervention of the christian god for but there are no reliably recorded instances of an amputees limb being restored through prayer.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
Your argument seems fallacious and built more on the thesis of why none of the prominent scriptures mention the healing of amputated humans.

You seem to have completely missed the point of the question.  Try again.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »

Amputated humans? WTF?
Would an amputated human be the larger part of the remaining person left behind after, let's say, the left leg goes off to heaven to be kept in cold storage while it waits to be reattached someday in paradise?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
I guess God favors geckos, iguanas, and Egyptian spiny rats more in terms of regenerating lost body parts.  They must not complain so much.
That's pretty much how we see it too.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
What were the chances of survival for a Greek/Roman style amputation? 

Why is that pertinent and why should anyone care?

By the time of the American Civil War, the chances were 1 in 4 surviving the operation with that statistic not including those who died later from infection. 

Take away at least 1000 years, were the amputees during the time period you are referring to on your web page likely to survive any acts?

How many amputees specifically asked to be healed?

How many of them were in contact with one of the scriptural writers or historians in order for their results to be recorded into a book that would survive for thousands of years?

So ... you're saying that there weren't any amputees with restored limbs, right?

Where are the amputees of today who have experienced a restoration of limbs? Where are they? Why are they in hiding? Why do they not openly celebrate their fully restored bodies? Are they too embarrassed in today's environment to reveal their restorations? Are the families and friends of these amputees under some kind of gag order (and a rather successful gag order) to keep the restorations a secret? How does one keep a secret the fact that he/she has a restored limb?

Strange, isn't it? Does that seem like humans are not god's chosen creatures? Even just the Jewish ones? I'm sure Jewish people lose limbs, but as god's chosen people, no Jew has experienced a restoration of an amputated limb. Hmmmm....

Is god an amputee and thinks humans are not fully-formed until we become made in his image by losing a limb?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 11:42:12 PM »
Strange, isn't it? Does that seem like humans are not god's chosen creatures? Even just the Jewish ones? I'm sure Jewish people lose limbs, but as god's chosen people, no Jew has experienced a restoration of an amputated limb. Hmmmm....

Is god an amputee and thinks humans are not fully-formed until we become made in his image by losing a limb?

(ponders for a moment.......)

!!!

That may be the best suggested explanation I've ever seen. Well done!
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:16:38 AM »

Funny, I see the argument as "Why won't god heal amputees" where you apparently see "Why wasn't amputee healing mentioned in the scriptures" I suggest you reread the title of the website.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »
What were the chances of survival for a Greek/Roman style amputation?

Dunno, but irrelevent.

By the time of the American Civil War, the chances were 1 in 4 surviving the operation with that statistic not including those who died later from infection. 

Medicine[1] has come a long ways, hasn't it? Sure knocks the pants off that All-Powerful god!

Take away at least 1000 years, were the amputees during the time period you are referring to on your web page likely to survive any acts?

Irrelevent.

How many amputees specifically asked to be healed?

If you've ever popped an asprin because you have a headache? That's the equivelant of "asking to be healed." Except, you're putting your trust/faith in humans in opposition to God, because you know he won't do ****. If one does it for such a mundane experience as a headache... you truely believe no amputee has ever wanted thier limb back? Hogwash.

How many of them were in contact with one of the scriptural writers or historians in order for their results to be recorded into a book that would survive for thousands of years?

Irrelevent. Stuff is being added/changed all the time. Every version of the bible is copyrighted, meaning there is something specific in that version of the bible alone. Did you ever read the preface? If you copy a whole book, or 1,000 words, you're bound to have plagerize something.

Missed the point. Ignoring that amputees exist today.

Someone sees!
 1. human endevors
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:22:32 AM by Ivellios »

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »

--

WebRep

Overall rating

Exactly! thats how we see it :D :laugh:
-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces