Author Topic: All aboard  (Read 360 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
All aboard
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
Just caught the tail end of this on the radio today. 
Don't even know where it happened.
But apparently a preacher who was driving a school bus for added income (common in the Midwest) was fired for forcing kids to pray while to took them to and home from school.  How about that for a captive audience?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-11
  • Gods become obsolete all the time.
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Re: All aboard
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »
Just caught the tail end of this on the radio today. 
Don't even know where it happened.
But apparently a preacher who was driving a school bus for added income (common in the Midwest) was fired for forcing kids to pray while to took them to and home from school.  How about that for a captive audience?

A good way to put people off. At the first school I went to we were supposed to say a prayer in the mornings. I always just said blah blah blah. No one noticed! They probably didn't care.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
Here's some more on it from the Friendly Atheist: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/11/06/school-bus-driving-pastor-who-prayed-with-captive-kids-is-shocked-to-be-out-of-a-job/.

The bus driver is, of course, being horribly persecuted in not being allowed to keep his job and preach his faith as he drives a bus full of kids whose lives depend on his ability to pay attention to what he's doing (/sarcasm).
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
Here's some more on it from the Friendly Atheist: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/11/06/school-bus-driving-pastor-who-prayed-with-captive-kids-is-shocked-to-be-out-of-a-job/.

From that link:

“To fire a bus driver for praying for the safety of the children” is not right, he said.

“We got to get Christians to be able to be Christians and not have to be closet Christians,” he said. “You have something good, you are going to share it with somebody.”

Imagine how he would react if it was a Muslim bus driver trying to get the kids to pray to Allah.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
Maybe they all started praying when they smelled alchohol on his breath?  &)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Leaving everything else aside, a school bus driver for a public school district has no business trying to get children to pray with him while they're in the school bus with him.

If he had simply limited himself to quietly praying for the safety of the children, without trying to get others involved, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
wtf is up with praying bus drivers?  Here's one from today at rutgers:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/13/rutgers-university-bus-driver-claims-he-was-fired-for-praying-for-disabled-student/

naturally, the guy is lying about it to the media.
“A full internal review revealed that Mr. McNeil had failed to follow a critical safety protocol that was cause for immediate termination. When advised of his violation, Mr. McNeil chose to resign,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
Well, on 2nd thought...you know how all those church buses keep crashing all the time.  Maybe the guy was worried because he was driving.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »
I loved my bus driver in HS. He drove fast, and if someone was in his way, he ran them over. We all hated when he got fired. Dude was crazy but a cool guy.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
One of my bus drivers in junior high school smoked and was prone to throwing people off the bus to walk home whenever they pissed him off.  Yeah, I'm old...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
The bus driver is, of course, being horribly persecuted in not being allowed to keep his job and preach his faith as he drives a bus full of kids whose lives depend on his ability to pay attention to what he's doing (/sarcasm).

That's not sarcasm. Most people are fucking oblivious to what is happening around them when they are driving their own cars without any children present in the back seat. When they have the most time to pay attention, they don't. A bus driver who has time for prayer is obviously incompetent at his occupation as a bus driver and he should be removed immediately.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:22:17 PM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
I know it isn't the main point, but I think its somewhat presumptuous to suggest he would be praying whilst actualy driving. Also, the fact that he was wanting to pray for safety suggests that safety is a priority for him.

As Jaime suggests better if he'd just prayed quiety without involving the kids.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
wtf is up with praying bus drivers?  Here's one from today at rutgers:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/13/rutgers-university-bus-driver-claims-he-was-fired-for-praying-for-disabled-student/

Temptation to boost your ego by proselytizing, plus a captive audience?

I know it isn't the main point, but I think its somewhat presumptuous to suggest he would be praying whilst actualy driving. Also, the fact that he was wanting to pray for safety suggests that safety is a priority for him.

Magic, if you read the linked article, he did indeed pray while driving, and led the kids in singing religious songs. If safety was the priority, then why did his religion get mixed in at all?

As Jaime suggests better if he'd just prayed quiety without involving the kids.

Unfortunately, proselytizing seems to have been his goal.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:19:07 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »

Magic, if you read the linked article, he did indeed pray while driving, and led the kids in singing religious songs. If safety was the priority, then why did his religion get mixed in at all?

Whoops. I missed that. I stand corrected.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
Whoops. I missed that. I stand corrected.

This is why I respect you even when I don't agree with you. I see the admission of error on too few forums by too few people.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:34 AM »
A cop tried to proselytize me once when I was in the back of his car (ironically I wasn't being arrested, long story). Right when he started to drive off he asked me, "So...have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour?" I replied, "Have you?" (sarcastic tone implied).

I think that was in 1995 or 1996. One of those two years.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 09:31:34 AM »
In my middle school we are a private school but accept all religions. They take pride in this. On my first day of school they said grace at lunch, I immediately walked out of the lunch room because I needed a break for a second from all the delusional people in the room. :laugh: I still go to this school and always walk out of lunch for grace then walk back in. ;D

-Shaffy

P.S- Thats so messed up that the bus driver made them pray....people these days :o
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Ataraxia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +68/-0
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
Is this what happens when God meets Dirty Harry?
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire