Author Topic: The trick contract from God  (Read 144 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +221/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
The trick contract from God
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:18:04 AM »
Paul argues in Galatians that following the law curses you, because when he studied the law, he learned you could never follow all of it. His assumption is that breaking some part of the law is fatal, and curses you.

He then reasons that Abraham got into heaven without knowing the law, so in order to emulate Abraham, we don't need to know the law.

I presume he then argues that being circumcised, is a contract with God, so you then have to follow the law and be cursed. The unstated conclusion is that God offered the law to Israel, so that everyone would be cursed, and would be unable to get into heaven, like Abraham did.

Presumably, Jesus' death gets you out of that contract, in the interim, if you happened to sign it, like Paul did.

The assumption of the Jews, would be that signing a contract with God, and following as much of the law as you could, would bless you and Israel, physically, as it says in Deut 28. Thus, the Jews signed their soul to God, for money and sex, and waived their right to get into heaven, because God didn't mention that they could get into heaven, like Abe, if they just had faith in God.

So, a question would be : why do we need Jesus' death, to absolve us from a contract, if we never signed it? Why can't we just get into heaven like Abe and Mohammed? (And all the Rabbinic Jews, who don't believed that God made Israel follow a trick Satanic contract.)

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
Re: The trick contract from God
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 06:11:47 AM »
Having never read the bible,[1] I can't really comment on the above, other than, I won't be going to heaven anyway because it doesn't exist.

Not very helpful I know. Just my two cents.  :)
 1. tb;dr (too boring, didn't read)
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
I am surprised it is not a more widely held belief that Paul was insane.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »
Or everyone in the Bible; except the ones being murdered. They were just being who they were.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.