Author Topic: I usually brag about the quality of my fb friends...  (Read 341 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
I usually brag about the quality of my fb friends...
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
Yes.  I do usually brag about the quality of my facebook friends.  But not today.

I've got a friend whose 5 year old just got sent home from school with the chickenpox.  And she is advertising playdates at her house, to help folks in the anti vaccine world bring their kids over so that they can get chickenpox too.

And people are responding.  Asking what to bring.  Mom suggests healthy snacks.  Wine for the grown ups.  And she is downright gleeful.   

I have no idea how she even got her kid in school in NYC without vaccines.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: I usually brag about the quality of my fb friends...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
I've heard of such things, but to be confronted with such appalling, harmful ignorance directly is always a shock. I remember having chicken pox quite well; it was not a fun time. Nor was my brush with the shingles, decades later.

Would she be so gleeful if her child had pneumonia, or polio? I'm sickened, angered and saddened all at once.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
I knew somone who died of c-pox... why on earth would you intentionally expose your child?  Crazy.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
So unfriend her, and tell her why.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
^^^^ tell her she may have introduced a virus to your computer :)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »
^^^^ tell her she may have introduced a virus to your computer :)

...much more likely to affect an i-product, via Spotify.

;D
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +467/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
In 1956, the neighbour arrived at our house and announced that her son had measles. She suggested that my mum might like to send me to play with him. This was seen as a good idea as the school holidays would start the next day. I spent about an hour with him whilst he was vomiting and 2 weeks covered in measles spots and felt bad for days.

See also 2013 Swansea measles epidemicWiki
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:12:09 PM by Graybeard »
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
In 1956, the neighbour arrived at our house and announced that her son had measles. She suggested that my mum might like to send me to play with him. This was seen as a good idea as the school holidays would start the next day. I spent about an hour with him whilst he was vomiting and 2 weeks covered in measles spots and felt bad for days.

Did you at least get to watch the Melbourne Olympics on TV?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 06:17:09 PM »
Turn her in to DFS.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
Ask her if she has insurance. Because if one of the kids she transmits chicken pox too dies, methinks she'll have legal problems.

Have her read this article.

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/science/decline-chickenpox-deaths

If you don't want to send it to her directly, try emailing it through an anonymous email service, like http://send-email.org

You might also send her the link to the Anti-Vacciine Body Count page: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html

Don't be too nice. She doesn't deserve it. The average life span in the US has risen almost 20 years since 1930. It ain't because everyone is avoiding medicine and prevention practices.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  GB- the measles piece terrifies me. 

And PP, I didn't take your advice.  I tried to be nice.  And honest.  This is what I wrote on the pox party thread:   

As a Guillain-Barre survivor, I have been advised not to get certain vaccines. I am in the same category as chemo patients, transplant patients, and folks with compromised immune systems due to AIDS or other diseases. I can never get a rubella booster, because I am one of those rare, rare people who got Guillain-Barre from the rubella vaccine. People like me can only hope that those around us are vaccinated, because our chance of death from these preventable diseases is much higher than that of the general public. Please be conscious of the fact that your private family decisions can have a huge impact on the lives of people outside of your family.

But it fell flat.  She responded:

that's the beauty of this.ANYONE at any time can be carrying varicella virus in their secretions, on their hands etc. being that T**** and one can only hope H**** have the chicken pox, they have been removed from general society until they are not contagious. Vaccinated people however keep milling about spreading the virus until someone who hasn't formed antibodies or someone who is immuno-comprimised catchs it.FWIW the varicella vax sheds for up to 3 weeks and the doctors concluded it was highly likely she contracted it in school from one of her vaccinated classmates.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
If I remember my biology, viral diseases require constant renewal. A chicken pox virus isn't going to sit around for nine years waiting for some un inoculated
 person to happen along. There has to be a more or less constant stream of people getting the disease for it to survive.

Hence, if she and others like her insist on avoiding inoculation, they are furthering the lifespan of the disease on planet earth.

We no longer routinely vaccinate people for smallpox, because we got rid of it. Completely. Hence nobody is carrying the disease around and spreading it amongst those not getting shots, because there is no longer any smallpox for people to get. We were real close with polio but the political situation in the middle east is causing a resurgence in that region. I assume that if we could inoculate enough people chicken pox would disappear, and over time so too would shingles, which is a disease people can get later because they had chicken pox earlier. Both chicken pox and shingles can kill. Not as often as smallpox, but they can both kill. And it would be nice to be able to say that we've saved a few more lives by ridding the planet of yet another disease.

Getting rid of chicken pox would be realistic were it not for people like your fb aquaintence. Would she prefer that smallpox still existed too?

You are obviously pretty powerless in this case, Quesi. As are all of us. But if some little baby too young to get inoculated gets infected by one of those kids and has to endure a couple of weeks of helpless discomfort just to make mommy feel better about her parenting skills, that truly sucks. And even if none of the children involved here die, they will still be perpetuating the disease and somewhere down the line another mom and dad will get word that their little one passed away because of the disease.

If indeed her kid did get the disease from someone who had been inoculated, it is only because the disease still persists due to the hardheadedness of parents/adults such as herself. The virus will not be everywhere once we rid the world of the disease. Sadly the virus of stupidity will be prolonging the lifespan of this and other diseases for decades to come.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:17:47 AM »
There was a bit of a worry around here in Belgium that, with that polio outbreak in Syria and several 'Syria-fighters' returning home, we'd soon be knee-deep in dead children. So an actual expert came on the radio to say that ... not to worry, Belgians are 99.6%[1] innoculated and there are several thousand immigrants arriving in Belgium every year from place with polio outbreaks.
 1. guess who the remaining 0.4% are
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
There was a bit of a worry around here in Belgium that, with that polio outbreak in Syria and several 'Syria-fighters' returning home, we'd soon be knee-deep in dead children. So an actual expert came on the radio to say that ... not to worry, Belgians are 99.6%[1] innoculated and there are several thousand immigrants arriving in Belgium every year from place with polio outbreaks.
 1. guess who the remaining 0.4% are

I hope those crazy "Brussel Sprouts[2]" from my former church don't bring any of that shit back to Oklahoma! 
 2. Entitled bunch of good for nothing missionary types from Oklahoma's wealthiest city, spreading the Word to the hordes of Brussels' godless via coffee houses and pastry shops - usually in two week "vacation-like" trips to Fiji-land

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
People are crazy.  I remember when I was little one of my friends had the mumps and I was the only one allowed to visit her because I was the only one vaccinated.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
I hope those crazy "Brussel Sprouts" from my former church don't bring any of that shit back to Oklahoma!

They occasionally hand out food to the homeless in the North station. Now, appart from the 'little castle' where new asylum seekers are taken, this is THE place to go if you want to catch some nasty bug. Hep B, polio and TB ... but other than that, you're in the clear.

Entitled bunch of good for nothing missionary types from Oklahoma's wealthiest city, spreading the Word to the hordes of Brussels' godless via coffee houses and pastry shops - usually in two week "vacation-like" trips to Fiji-land

And they love to go on 'prayer walk' ... ie sightseeing. All in service to the lord, of course.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
I've never had the measles or chickenpox. Neither has my brother. My sister had chickenpox but me and my brother didn't catch it from her.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
My kids were all born before the chicken pox vaccine was around, and I do still remember some of the moms around having "pox parties" when one of their children came down with it. I suppose it seemed like a good enough idea at the time...My older two actually had it just about a week before their younger brother was born, and I did worry that he would end up exposed to it in his first days. He ended up getting it when he was about 3, though.

On the one hand, it seems like no biggie when you look at the statistics of complications in the age bracket which typically gets it, and especially when compared to that of people who get it as adults, but I'd hate to even imagine being the mother in one of those very rare cases where it does, in fact, cause major complications or death. Then, too, there is always the risk of shingles later on, which can be a WHOLE lot nastier. My father in law got shingles about 4 years ago, just as he was on the recovery end of a series of health problems which had been sorted out and would have given him quite a few more years of quality life, but since then, he has been almost bedridden due to pain from nerve damage which nothing seems to be able to help.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
Via Straight Out Of Dickens

Depressingly informative; thanks, Chronos.

I made the mistake of going from there to another linked article and reading the antivax comments... I really ought to know better; I don't enjoy the headaches I get from screaming at stupid people who can't hear me and wouldn't be moved even if they could.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »
I don't enjoy the headaches I get from screaming at stupid people who can't hear me and wouldn't be moved even if they could.

A wise man once showed me this particular image...

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 11:21:20 PM »
^^^Touche', my wise student; touche'!!  :laugh:
--Marcus Aurelius