Author Topic: Darwin points  (Read 754 times)

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
Darwin points
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
Hello...Im a noobie. :laugh:

So basically can some one give me the run down about darwin points? EX: How do you get them.
I searched the site and cant find anything on them. Sorry if I missed a section that talks about it.
Thanks!

-Shaffy

P.S- Im such a noob :blank: :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:56:08 PM by Shaffy »
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Re: Karma points
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
Hi Shaffy

The Karma buttons will appear underneath the avatars once you have made 50 posts.

The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
Re: Karma points
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
Hi Shaffy

The Karma buttons will appear underneath the avatars once you have made 50 posts.

Ok thank you MagicMiles :)

-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Darwin points
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
Shaffy -

As there is currently a weird applaud/smite counter-fest going on at this moment, I would like to take the opportunity to advise you that the karma point system around here really shouldn't be taken too seriously.  It's another avenue for people to express themselves around here, but don't read too much into it - as in, don't put too much stake in getting positive or negative karma.  Quantitative values such as +/- will be things that you will naturally want to use as some form of comparative basis, but I would advise against that.

That being said, I do dole out karma and thus engage myself in the 'game' if you will, as a form of expressing myself and as some means of sifting through 'posts of interest' if you will.

Long'n'short - use it how you want to use it, treat it as you want to treat it, but don't let it drive your behavior.  That's all.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
Shaffy -

As there is currently a weird applaud/smite counter-fest going on at this moment, I would like to take the opportunity to advise you that the karma point system around here really shouldn't be taken too seriously.  It's another avenue for people to express themselves around here, but don't read too much into it - as in, don't put too much stake in getting positive or negative karma.  Quantitative values such as +/- will be things that you will naturally want to use as some form of comparative basis, but I would advise against that.

That being said, I do dole out karma and thus engage myself in the 'game' if you will, as a form of expressing myself and as some means of sifting through 'posts of interest' if you will.

Long'n'short - use it how you want to use it, treat it as you want to treat it, but don't let it drive your behavior.  That's all.

Ok thank you Jdawg!I love this website for the info. Not the +/- darwins  ;) :laugh:
 -Shaffy

~ParkingPlaces

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +559/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »
Darwins just represent whether people liked/disliked comments.  It doesn't necessarily mean that the comments were good - you have to look at the context for that.

In general, people with a high number of positive Darwins are well-liked by the community, and people with a high number of negative Darwins are disliked by the community.  Someone with both could have been disliked at one point, but shaped up later on; or they could make good points but in a way that tend to annoy people; or even that they are liked by some and disliked by others.

It's useful as long as you don't take it too seriously.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +185/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
And in a surprising turn of events, I just discovered that you can be smited more than once by the same person for a single post. Be careful of making controversial remarks like: It might be worth considering how you define "winning" in this context. That kind of sass will get you smited right quick.  :?

Clearly it's not necessary to be a theist to be a petty little f***.  ;)

Thanks jaimehlers, by the way. You too Azdgari, that whole thing was just bizarre.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:16:56 PM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
Darwins just represent whether people liked/disliked comments.  It doesn't necessarily mean that the comments were good - you have to look at the context for that.

In general, people with a high number of positive Darwins are well-liked by the community, and people with a high number of negative Darwins are disliked by the community.  Someone with both could have been disliked at one point, but shaped up later on; or they could make good points but in a way that tend to annoy people; or even that they are liked by some and disliked by others.

I'm somewhere in the middle, right?

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

I'm somewhere in the middle, right?

;)

-Nam

I don't know...maybe you should ask god  ;)

-Shaffy

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »
Shaffy, once you are good to go on Darwins you must give positive hits to the people with over 10,000 posts.  It is a tradition here. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »
Shaffy, once you are good to go on Darwins you must give positive hits to the people with over 10,000 posts.  It is a tradition here. ;)

Hey, its my job to coerce impressionable newbies into giving Karma.

Shaffy, another option (some would say, a better option) would be to give a karma to whoever responded first to your question. :D

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »

Aha very funny ;)
-Shaffy

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »

Hey, its my job to coerce impressionable newbies into giving Karma.

Shaffy, another option (some would say, a better option) would be to give a karma to whoever responded first to your question. :D
Most definitely  ;)
-Shaffy

~ParkingPlaces

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
That's great, because I hope to beat nogodsforme to 500. Could be a close thing.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

I'm so close! :'(

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
That's great, because I hope to beat nogodsforme to 500. Could be a close thing.

You haven't gotten past me yet. You know you're in trouble now.

-Nam

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
don't forget darwins for users with names that start with "T" ...  ;D

Welcome aboard!!!
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
don't forget darwins for users with names that start with "T" ...  ;D

Welcome aboard!!!

Thanks! Nice to meet you :D
-Shaffy

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:40 AM »

I tend to applaud for well-constructed posts that show thought and research, whether or not I agree with the points they are making.

And I also applaud people for making me laugh.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »

I tend to applaud for well-constructed posts that show thought and research, whether or not I agree with the points they are making.

And I also applaud people for making me laugh.

I seem to make Graybeard laugh, and a few others. Most of my karma is most likely from making people laugh. I rarely say anything intelligent.

;)

-Nam