Author Topic: Tips hat to some theist members  (Read 133 times)

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Tips hat to some theist members
« on: November 12, 2013, 07:58:58 AM »
Just a quick note to say that I appreciate the patient good-mannered participation of some theists in the discussions here.
The ones top of mind are:
  • OldChurchGuy
  • Magicmiles
  • Mooby

Perhaps there are more - I've been absent from the forum for long periods of time so have probably missed a few.  Atheists please feel free to add to my list any theist members you respect.

Even though their beliefs sometimes puzzle me, these guys remind me of the importance of tolerance - something I'm often weak at :)
Git mit uns

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
Re: Tips hat to some theist members
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
I'm going to echo this - we DO have believers who are ready and able to debate instead of preach, and to genuinely try to answer questions that they are asked.  So yeah - thumbs up to those 3 and anyone else we've missed.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
That's very kind of you to say so William. My participation here has not always been explemplary, but I strive for courtesy, directness and honesty.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
Agreed. We get a lot of drive-bys and a number of theists who seem more interested in talking at the atheist regulars here than to us. Those who ask sincere questions, acknowledge when they've made mistakes and otherwise genuinely engage with us godless types should be recognized and appreciated.

On the internet, it's all too easy to find one's own little cluster of echo chambers and never venture outside them. We should keep in mind it's quite possible for this forum to become that, and understand our theist regulars' role in preventing it.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
OCG is no longer a theist. Unless he discovered a new compelling argument I'm not aware of.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos