Author Topic: Why Does God Hate Amputees?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
Why Does God Hate Amputees?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:15:58 AM »
After a bit of online snooping based on this forum, I came across the following forum (which, as it happens, is also run by Simple Machines) with a thread based on WWGHA. I've read through quite a bit of the thread myself, but I thought I'd throw it out there to you guys/gals to have a nosey and see if you come across anything original or anything predictable. The thread does tail off on to other subjects and is eventually derailed, but then it is quite a long one:

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=7740.0

Cheers,

Ataraxia
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:19:09 AM by Ataraxia »
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Why Does God Hate Amputees?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »
Isn't that the old part of WWGHA?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline bodybuilding123

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:33:30 AM »
You will be very sad   :'( and disillusioned, if you think for one moment that God does not love you.
I can assure you that He does indeed love you b/c when you cry and feel bad or unloved, and eventually you get over it and feel better, it is b/c, do you agree,that it is because there is a presence of good in people, so ALL is not so bad!   &)
Even your pet animals will look to you for affection because they trust you and expect  THAT of you,  and they will give you back their love & devotion back to you, because you, by feeding and loving them, are treating them with love and kindness and care,  :angel: which is the dna, given to you from God. God loves you so  I can respect AND LOVE YOU, too.  Why? B/c I know that God Loves Me because the Bible tells me so, and I am so grateful to God for all of the beautiful things in the world. 8) Did that help you feel loved and appreciated?  :-\
bodybuilding123  :laugh:

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:52:29 AM »
You will be very sad   :'( and disillusioned, if you think for one moment that God does not love you.

God does not exist.  Being nonexistence, god cannot love me.

*shrug*  No big deal.
I can assure you that He does indeed love you b/c when you cry and feel bad or unloved, and eventually you get over it and feel better, it is b/c, do you agree,that it is because there is a presence of good in people, so ALL is not so bad!   &)

If I needed assurance of love, I'll turn to other people, thanks.  They have the distinct advantage of existing, unlike god.

Even your pet animals will look to you for affection because they trust you and expect  THAT of you,  and they will give you back their love & devotion back to you, because you, by feeding and loving them, are treating them with love and kindness and care,  :angel:

You and your pet have unambiguous evidence of each others existence.  The same cannot be said of god.

which is the dna, given to you from God. God loves you so  I can respect AND LOVE YOU, too.  Why? B/c I know that God Loves Me because the Bible tells me so, and I am so grateful to God for all of the beautiful things in the world. 8) Did that help you feel loved and appreciated?  :-\

The only feeling I got was the squishy turning of my stomach after reading a saccharinity message like that.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:02:38 AM »

That's a non sequitur, BB123.  The existence of good in people does not prove the existence of gods.

I am also no longer taking representations from mortals such as yourself, nor from books written by mortals.  As such, your "assurance" is valueless to Me.  Kindly ask your imaginary friend to drop by some evening, in person.  (If it is indeed an omniscient god, it should both know the address and know not to call when I'm at work or out at band practice.)

God loves you so  I can respect AND LOVE YOU, too.

Apparently your god also condemns to hell those individuals who do not accept Jesus as their saviour.  I am a conscientious objector in that regard.  Would you, too, attempt to cast Me (or anyone else) into hell for not believing?  If not, congratulations -- You are now officially more moral than the god you believe in.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 05:31:24 AM »
Even your pet animals will look to you for affection because they trust you and expect  THAT of you,  and they will give you back their love & devotion back to you, because you, by feeding and loving them, are treating them with love and kindness and care,  :angel: which is the dna, given to you from God. God loves you so  I can respect AND LOVE YOU, too.  Why? B/c I know that God Loves Me because the Bible tells me so, and I am so grateful to God for all of the beautiful things in the world. 8) Did that help you feel loved and appreciated?  :-\

I'm sorry to say it but your pets will eat your face given half a chance

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/dogs-love-eating-human-faces

edit: post initially too harsh
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:08:10 AM by Mrjason »

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
I'm waiting for my registration to be approved. 

I hate that their website gave you that impression of God.  I don't believe God hates amputees at all.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »
God loves you so  I can respect AND LOVE YOU, too. 

Huh.  I love and respect the people I do becuase they have proven themselves worthy of it.  (I default to "respect" unless somone proves unworthy of that)

Why? B/c I know that God Loves Me because the Bible tells me so,

Are you careful to avoid chairs that mensturating women have sat in?  Do you stone to death disobedient children?  The bible tells you those things, too, you know.

Did that help you feel loved and appreciated?  :-\

Not in the least.  You know what makes me feel loved and apprecaited?  Acutal *love* and *appreciation*.  Maybe that's just me.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Lukvance

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-239
  • Catholic
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
Hello all,
This is my first post, I should start somewhere, so not why here? :)
It appears that the purpose of this topic is not on focus.
First let me answer simply to the question Asked. "Why Does God Hate Amputees?"
HE DOES NOT hate amputees. So there is no answer to the why. :)
Yep it was easy, I know.

Now to the real purpose of this thread. Giving some other Forum some life. It's too bad that I have to register to be able to see the thread. Maybe I would've read some of it just to get the feel of those users as I have done wit this Forum.
I don't read many post from logical point of vue from Christians here, I hope I will help change that in the following days.
You're worth more than my time

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
Hello all,
Yep it was easy, I know.

Well,  god is non-existence, and thus, cannot hate--or love--anything.

So, yeah.  I kinda agree with you, though probably not quite for the same reasons you're thinking of.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »
I didn't manage to find the thread - I was just told the link wasn't found. I have joined, though as it is the unofficial successor to the old BBC forum of the same name so maybe it isn't visible to non-members.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
Hello all,

Hi.  Welcome.
The green text indicates I am speaking in my role as administrator.  If you've not already, please read our rules and tutorials.  They are linked below in my signature.

Yep it was easy, I know.

Sure.  It may have seemed easy.  But that is often the case when you don't bother to even do a half-assed job.  What you made was an ipse dixitWiki argument.  That is latin for "he, himeself, said it".  You just made a claim and left it at that, expecting that would be the end of it.  For this forum - and for thinking people - that is insufficient.  If you want any respect, or to convince anyone of anything, you need to do a more thorough job than that.

Now to the real purpose of this thread.

?   I don't understand what you are trying to say here.  This thread has a purpose.  It is to discuss the question "why does god hate amputees?" 

I don't read many post from logical point of vue from Christians here, I hope I will help change that in the following days.

You're observation matches mine.  I do not find many theists who are logical or inspired by facts.  Hope springs eternal.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »

You kind of skipped a step or two there pal.

One: define God.

Two: provide evidence that such a being exists outside of our minds, and outside of the type of evidence that can be used to prove any model of a deity...including fictional ones, and ones with cosmologies that are mutually exclusive to the ones you associate with your favored creator deity.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +341/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »

Hello all,
Yep it was easy, I know.

Now to the real purpose of this thread. Giving some other Forum some life. It's too bad that I have to register to be able to see the thread. Maybe I would've read some of it just to get the feel of those users as I have done wit this Forum.

Does anyone else find it strange to have two drive-by posters jump into the same thread, essentially back-to-back, with...similar-ish styles?

I dunno...seems weird is all.  Carry on.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
I thought much the same Jdawg...but since I'm pretty sure they will both be drive-by's it doesn't much matter.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »

I'm sorry to say it but your pets will eat your face given half a chance

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/dogs-love-eating-human-faces

edit: post initially too harsh

Good post. I regret missing out on the original harshness, lol.

I said something awhile back that was kinda related to this:

Man has always wanted his way, and doesn't really care what the creator thinks. Man, through sin has always caused his own problems, and God keeps bailing us out even though we don't believe in him.

Let me tell you a little bit about Man.

There are humans who have put large dangerous animals to sleep, so they can repair a life-threatening broken body part on the animal. These humans are well aware that if the animal had a chance, that animal would eat them. These humans are not angry at the animal because of its ignorance that prevents it from fully appreciating what they do. These humans are simply trying to spread happiness. If they could, you know they would rid the world of unhappiness. They are simply powerless to do so.

Your God supposedly isn't. Heh.

You are fooled by your ancient fairy tale into constantly putting Man down and blaming Man, allthewhile making excuses for your asshole, fuckin' fairy-tale God.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 09:31:47 AM »
Hello all,
Yep it was easy, I know.

OK, how do you know that -

a. There is a god that actually exists independently of the people who believe in it?

b. How you know that it doesn't hate amputees?

It's important information so please post the answers.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Lukvance

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-239
  • Catholic
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »
how do you know that -
a. There is a god that actually exists independently of the people who believe in it?
I might know the answer to these question. But the question asked here (Why Does God Hate Amputees?) implies that God exist and is independent of the people who believe in it.
How you know that it doesn't hate amputees?
He said it many time in the Bible...he gave his life because of the love he has for us. When it comes to love He does not make any difference between amputees and non amputees, sinners or not sinners. He loves us all.
You could also read about it here : http://www.cru.org/training-and-growth/classics/transferable-concepts/love-by-faith/02-5-truths-about-love-unconditional.htm
You just made a claim and left it at that, expecting that would be the end of it
As did the one who asked the question, no?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
I might know the answer to these question. But the question asked here (Why Does God Hate Amputees?) implies that God exist and is independent of the people who believe in it.

Unless it is rhetorical, which it is.  Then your reply is either a dodge, or the point of the question sails over your head.  Probably a little of both.

He said it many time in the Bible...he gave his life because of the love he has for us. When it comes to love He does not make any difference between amputees and non amputees, sinners or not sinners. He loves us all.

Same problem as before.  How do you know the bible is valid?  It is a fundamental question most people just take for granted.   Most of us see the bible as a collection of traditions and myths.  Any truth in it is coincidental.  It may be the truth, but it is not the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

As did the one who asked the question, no?

No. The question has been rigorously discussed on the forum and on the website.  The original site was called "why does god hate amputees".  It was using language that was commonly used at the time by conservatives (circa 2006).  Thus, somewhat sarcastic.  It was changed to eschew the sarcasm.

So, why does god not heal amputees?  There are only a few answers and they all have big implications for believers.  Think carefully before answering.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Lukvance

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-239
  • Catholic
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 11:12:55 PM »
Unless it is rhetorical, which it is.  Then your reply is either a dodge, or the point of the question sails over your head.  Probably a little of both.
I'm sorry if we can't agree on that God exist and is independent of the people who believe in it I don't see the point of asking such question. Wouldn't it be like making a omelette without eggs? we have to get the eggs first!
How do you know the bible is valid?
I thought that the question was based on the Bible. And that his validity was implied. This thread looks like there are some basics missing. Why bother asking the question without them?
Most of us see the bible as a collection of traditions and myths
Then I agree with most of you if you leave the Gospels out of it.

Finally, to answer the question "Why Does God Hate Amputees?" I stand by my answer. He does not. Ask the amputees who talk to God.
"Why does god not heal amputees?" this one would require a thread by himself...oh wait he does! :) so not here for the answer but there! :p

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 04:18:49 AM »
I'm sorry if we can't agree on that God exist and is independent of the people who believe in it I don't see the point of asking such question. Wouldn't it be like making a omelette without eggs? we have to get the eggs first!
I thought that the question was based on the Bible. And that his validity was implied. This thread looks like there are some basics missing. Why bother asking the question without them?

Finally, to answer the question "Why Does God Hate Amputees?" I stand by my answer. He does not. Ask the amputees who talk to God.
"Why does god not heal amputees?" this one would require a thread by himself...oh wait he does! :) so not here for the answer but there! :p

Luke,

We are down to three simple points here

1. Is there a god who exists independently of individuals? This is an atheist forum so we think the answer is no so if you disagree bring some evidence to the discussion.

2. We notice lots of claims of healings having taken place both in the bible and even in our our time. (The ones in the present often ignore the hard work of the medics though!) Now all sort of diseases and conditions are claimed to have been healed by some god or other - only amputees remain without ever getting a cure. Yours is a simple task - explain why you think your god will heal cancer patients (sometimes) and lots of other things but never regrow limbs.

3. Tell us why we should accept that the bible is more than a lot of stories and myths? A bit of evidence would help.

There you are - quite simple!

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »

No, it's more like there being a painstaking recipe for omelettes with all sorts of complicated steps and rare ingredients, where no one has ever seen the eggs or knows whether they actually exist. The fact that the eggs may only be in some people's minds doesn't negate the existence of the recipe, and, for the people who don't think the eggs are actually out there, there is nothing ridiculous about discussing why they don't think the eggs will ever be found and why the recipe is therefore pointless.

And to expand just a bit on what Wheels just said:

2. We notice lots of claims of healings having taken place both in the bible and even in our our time. (The ones in the present often ignore the hard work of the medics though!) Now all sort of diseases and conditions are claimed to have been healed by some god or other - only amputees remain without ever getting a cure. Yours is a simple task - explain why you think your god will heal cancer patients (sometimes) and lots of other things but never regrow limbs.

It's not only amputees, but that's a more concise title for the forum. To try to make it a bit clearer, Christians will claim miraculous cures for all manner of conditions, from headaches to cancer, after prayer. Any of these conditions can, and do, go away without medical intervention. Even more can be cured with intervention, but that brings more complications to the question.

However, there are also other things such as the loss of a limb or genetic conditions like Down Syndrome which are never going to spontaneously disappear no matter how much prayer goes into them. This is what the name of the site refers to.

In a nutshell, it's an argument against the existence of god based on the fact that the only "miracles" we ever see are things which could happen by coincidence, while there is no evidence of prayer affecting conditions which are truly incurable.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 08:48:20 AM »

Can you please rephrase this?  It is not clear what you are trying to say and I'd rather not make assumptions.

I thought that the question was based on the Bible. And that his validity was implied.

No.  As before, you misunderstand the question.  By asking the question - whichever of the two questions you want[1] - we are trying to compare what xians and the bible say to measured reality.  We are not granting that the bible is valid nor do we grant that god is anything other than imaginary.  That is not implied. 

Let me rephrase the question for you.  IF the god of the bible exists, THEN how do you explain the fact that amputees[2] are never, ever healed?  Why is that? 

Please also understand, the question is for people who claim god heals people of actual physical ailments.  If you are not one of those people, you are not the target audience.

1. "does god hate amputees?" or "why won't god heal amputees?" Same point, phrased differently.
 2. and people with numerous other irreversible afflictions

If you mean the gospels are not myths, then no, we do not agree.  The gospels are myths and lies.

Finally, to answer the question "Why Does God Hate Amputees?" I stand by my answer. He does not.

Okay.  Then why does god never, ever heal them?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Lukvance

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-239
  • Catholic
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
Wow,
Thank you wheels5894, jynnan tonnix and screwtape. You seem all very smart.
In my last post about eggs and omelette, I was trying to say that some truth must be acknowledge in the context of the discussion if you want the discussion to go forward.
Like screwtape said so brilliantly "IF the god of the bible exists, THEN how do you explain the fact that amputees[2] are never, ever healed?" After the IF we have the common accord that God and the Bible exist for the purpose of finding out why he hates amputees.
I wish to make sure that you 3 see the HUGE difference between "Why God HATE amputees?" and "why won't God heal amputees?"
Please also understand, the question is for people who claim god heals people of actual physical ailments.  If you are not one of those people, you are not the target audience.
I do believe in miracles. In the form of physical healing and/or spiritual too. But this is not what we are asking in this thread. This is the question of another thread. Here we are talking about sentiments that God might have for Amputees.
The gospels are myths and lies.
that's too bad, we were so close to agree on everything :)
Then why does god never, ever heal them?
I think there is a thread about that somewhere on the forum maybe you should ask the question there.
Is there a god who exists independently of individuals? This is an atheist forum so we think the answer is no so if you disagree bring some evidence to the discussion.
Did it there : http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,21563.650.html 
Tell us why we should accept that the bible is more than a lot of stories and myths? A bit of evidence would help.
Will gladly do. Could you point me to the thread about that? Or should I create it?

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
Tell us why we should accept that the bible is more than a lot of stories and myths? A bit of evidence would help.

Will gladly do. Could you point me to the thread about that? Or should I create it?

Lukvance

That would be a good thread for you to start. That way you could word it with the precision you prefer. (The title of this particular thread is apparently too harsh for you, and if you started your own thread you could word it in ways you like.)

If you are feeling overwhelmed in any way by the many responses you've gotten in various threads already, it could be arranged by the mods for the discussion to take place in our "Shelter" area, where not everyone can respond, only the nice folks. Or you could even pick someone to have a one-on-one discussion with. In the latter case, a parallel thread is started where anyone can comment, but only the two combatants are allowed to post in the debate thread itself (plus mods should things get messy).

Just a suggestion.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Lukvance

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-239
  • Catholic
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 02:19:10 AM »
Thank you ParkingPlaces for your suggestion. Right now I can still breathe but it takes more time than I anticipated indeed. Some folks are really looking for answers here and that makes me want to continue. Who knows? maybe someone will only read our back and forth discussion and will get the answer they wouldn't if it was in the shelter area.
One-on-one discussion will be a good thing in a not so far future. But I don't want to be the one starting it. I am still able to keep track of who said what. Thank you!

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
You can start a thread in any topic you want to. It doesn't need to be in the Shelter - if you want to:

Then go ahead and start a new conversation in whichever section you think is a good fit for your subject. It's actually better to revisit a topic by starting fresh than to revive an old thread on the same subject. It's your perspective on the matter that you seem to want to share - there's no limit to the number of threads.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Lukvance

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-239
  • Catholic
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »

Offline anfurnee

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »
Before we start throwing stones we need to read the Bible to see what it reads. Some of the answers to our questions are in the Bible others are not. We write things that are wrong before we look for ourselves. Like why won't God heal amputees? Where does it read that God won't heal amputees? The Bible doesn't mention it. It does mention that Jesus, which is God in the flesh, healed people. If we have faith & call for the elders of the church, James 1:6, 5:14-15  healing does happen. God wants are love for what he is not for what he does.