Poll

Would this experiment really prove it?

yes
3 (11.1%)
no
24 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Experiment to prove God isn't real.  (Read 1593 times)

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-13
Re: Experiment to prove God isn't real.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
I think the quick answer is probably be going to come for a theist that 'one shall not put the Lord your God to the test'. If that were the case, then of course god would ignore the test and nothing would be proved.

In the case of Jeanna Giese there is a more mundane explanation for here cure and it has nothing to do with god. The doctor treating here put her into a coma on the basis that the comatose brain would not be affected, as normal one, with the rabies bug. Good scientific reasons and it worked. The prayer circle was something for the people to do whilst medicine cure here.

I find it quite interesting that Jeanna Giese, was cured after all that prayer.  Apparently all the prayers before did not work for those afflicted with Rabies,  but this set of prayers was so compelling that god decided he would let people occasionally live as long as they used the Milwakee Protocol. 

Thank you Jeanna Giese for your finally catching gods ear he was even so benevolent as to only give her minor brain damage.  Perhaps we can pray just a little more and have the milwakee protocol work 80 or 90% of the time with even less brain damage.

directly commenting on the OP,  I have to say that there is the easy answer that god will not be tested.  End of story.  A religious person has this one sewn up and it does not require further explaination.

Originally when I heard this story I was impressed.  I mean the only person in human history to survive Rabies is no small feet.  But when I found out that they were trying a specific treatment designed to improve the odds from 0% the miracle seemed alot less impressive.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:43:40 AM by epidemic »

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
Yep, the trouble with claims for the power of prayer in healings is that they fall into two classes -

1. Patient has the sort of problem that sometimes gets better by itself - this could include some cancers for example. Prayers are aid but, oddly, the prayers for those who are not healed are forgotten and then the odd person stands out as an example of god's healing power  the power of the body to heal itself.

2. Medical science is used in the extreme to treat a person - maybe even to resuscitate them. After all the hard work and dedication of the medical team the family say that they prayer for the person and they recovered - ignoring the hard work.

Yep, its confirmation bias at work!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-13
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
It is all in how you tell the story. 

Jeanna Giese the only human being to ever survive a case of rabies on the heals of large prayer session is an amazing story.  It is also an absolutely true story.  Most religious citation of her story does leave out the fact that now Jeanna Giese is in good company with several other people who survived.  it is a growing club that does not have a unique form of prayer associated with all of successes.  The milwakee protocol seems to be the common thread not prayer.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
Immediately following the 2008 national election in the US, several prominent and lesser known evangelical christian ministers banded together to form a nation-wide "prayer circle' seeking the untimely death of the new president of the United States for alledged crimes against their god and their country.  At its peak, news media estimated the circle had more than a million members - all fervently praying, with all their hart, for their god to smite Barack Obama for reasons very real to them. After 3-4 years, and obvious inaction on the part of their god, the prayer circle campaign quietly disbanded.

A few years back, Texas governor Rick Perry held a christian prayer rally at the state capitol, asking all Texans to pray for rain to end a severe drought that gripped the state. Based on feedback to the state pray-for-rain rally website, tens of thousands of christains supported the campaign, with daily prayers for rain.  While the state did have sporadic rain since the prayer campaign began, most of the state is still in moderate to severe drought.

Documented instances where throngs of christians prayed for outcomes that never occurred.

Edit:  Just came across this:
Pat Robertson Prays For Obama's Removal, Asks God To 'Deliver Us From This President'
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/pat-robertson-prays-obamas-removal-asks-god-deliver-us-president
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:05:43 PM by Backspace »
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-13
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
Immediately following the 2008 national election in the US, several prominent and lesser known evangelical christian ministers banded together to form a nation-wide "prayer circle' seeking the untimely death of the new president of the United States for alledged crimes against their god and their country.  At its peak, news media estimated the circle had more than a million members - all fervently praying, with all their hart, for their god to smite Barack Obama for reasons very real to them. After 3-4 years, and obvious inaction on the part of their god, the prayer circle campaign quietly disbanded.

A few years back, Texas governor Rick Perry held a christian prayer rally at the state capitol, asking all Texans to pray for rain to end a severe drought that gripped the state. Based on feedback to the state pray-for-rain rally website, tens of thousands of christains supported the campaign, with daily prayers for rain.  While the state did have sporadic rain since the prayer campaign began, most of the state is still in moderate to severe drought.

Documented instances where throngs of christians prayed for outcomes that never occurred.

Edit:  Just came across this:
Pat Robertson Prays For Obama's Removal, Asks God To 'Deliver Us From This President'
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/pat-robertson-prays-obamas-removal-asks-god-deliver-us-president

Well you must remember that the answer to prayers always comes in the form of three answers.  Yes, No or wait.  I guess in the case of a question like rain and drought, one may need to add a fourth option where. 

Barak Obama is clearly will not live for ever.  So that prayer is answered with a wait.

Rain in Texas has been answered with a resounding yes for thousands of square miles.

See prayers are answered.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
Matthew 17:20: Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

x1,000,000 - that's a lot of mustard.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
Rain in Texas has been answered with a resounding yes for thousands of square miles.

This just in...
Drought now affecting two thirds of Texas

The Lone Star State can't seem to stay out of the heat. In a new drought report by the Texas Water Development Board, the state saw worsening conditions that now affect two thirds of Texas...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Drought-now-affecting-two-thirds-of-Texas-5383051.php?cmpid=hpfc

-- Bernie Katz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »

This just in...
Drought now affecting two thirds of Texas

The Lone Star State can't seem to stay out of the heat. In a new drought report by the Texas Water Development Board, the state saw worsening conditions that now affect two thirds of Texas...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Drought-now-affecting-two-thirds-of-Texas-5383051.php?cmpid=hpfc

To be fair, Texas's area (in square miles) divided by 3 is approximately 89607 square miles. That's almost 90 thousand square miles. Or so will epidemic claim, even though his intention was clear.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
I think a billion people prayed for Michael Jackson…       :?
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline shaheen

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 05:54:04 PM »
This post which has already been posted twice elsewhere has been removed as spam.

Shaheen,

Please do not simply copy the same message into different threads.

I have also had to remove the posts that respond: this is most annoying.

GB Mod
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:32:06 AM by Graybeard »

Offline Billrabara

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
I vote no:

Standard theist reply/excuse (when it failed) would be:

Luke 4:12: And Jesus answered him, “It is said, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

Exactly.  And it follows that believing something is true when it is impossible to determine if your belief is true necessarily requires faith. 

A more interesting question, I think, is "What evidence would eliminate any possibility, to your epistemological satisfaction, that he/it exists?" For me it is that pledging my allegiance to Satan and denouncing God and hoping for his death causes me no discernible ill effects. That's enough for me.