Author Topic: Good News!!  (Read 184 times)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Good News!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:10:01 PM »
Interesting; thanks, Ron. For all the hyperbole, it doesn't look like the CoE will implode overnight, though it does seem be declining. As organized religion is in general; too many of the newer generation aren't finding it relevant to them (at least in Europe and the US).

What I got from that article was that a lot of the senior clergy are realizing their religion's privileged position in society isn't anymore and that terrifies them. I confess to not having much sympathy; religions are like any other human institution and subject to change. I don't doubt that the CoE and the Catholic Church will persist for some time to come, albeit in somewhat different forms. Perhaps they'll even incorporate some additional humanistic values.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
Seems what they need is a good amputee healing...documented of course.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
The Most Reverend John Sentamu told the Synod – where leaders will debate how to persuade traditionalists to accept women bishops – that they spent too long 'arguing over words and phrases, while the people of England are left floundering amid meaninglessness, anxiety and despair'.
Floundering, meaninglessness, anxious, and in despair.  Sounds more like the church than the people of England.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:39 PM »
^^^Exactly. Like I said, the entrenched hierarchy is all doom-and-apocalyptic-gloom; they have the most to lose. The believers who stick around through the change will plug along pretty much undisturbed. The reactionaries who can't countenance women priests or same-sex marriages performed on church property may split off and go their merry way.

Reformation... counter-reformation. Somehow society keeps plodding along, even making a bit of progress, regardless of how evidence-less gods get worshipped.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »
Yes people are beginning to notice that after life insurance doesn't have much value and are not keeping up with their premiums.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.