Author Topic: education [#2773]  (Read 656 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
education [#2773]
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:47:16 PM »
You all have a lot to learn about Christianity. Pastor Fisk's video here can help you, I hope you take the time to watch it and respond to him if you have questions.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpyzJUF2R9Q&feature=youtu.be

Take care!
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: education [#2773]
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »
I think we know all we need to know about Christianity.  It is a cult like all other cults.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
I can't get YouTube. Perhaps you could log on here and educate me? Because the rest of the Not True Christians that have come here have yet to convince me that their educational materials are based in reality.

Are yours?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
That incessant arm waving he does is enraging me

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »
Is your version the right one? We get christians here all the time trying to tell us about their religion, but there are so many version. Hundred, if not thousands. If I were to become a christian, I have no idea what I am supposed to do to do it right. Do I need to be a biblical literalist, or am I free to interpret some bible verses as I want, the way so many of the believers who come here do? Am I going to hell if I don't believe, or is there really no hell? I don't know which way to go on that one, because I hear so many variations. So if I go to the link that you have so generously provided, will it be THE one that will get me all saved and stuff?

I hate having to ask so many questions. I realize that christians aren't supposed to do that. But I'm not a christian yet. So I hope its okay that I am so curious. Under these specific circumstances. If you're is the right version, I promise to be compliant and all that stuff. But its gotta be the right one. I'm picky about my delusions.

Oh yea, and when is god gonna test me. I've been around for decades and nothing yet. My life has been quiet, pleasant and without major mishap. So many of my christian friends have died of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, alcoholism, drug overdoses, bad accidents and one even died of yoga. But me, I'm just breezing along. Did my choice to become an atheist when I was 11 mess up my opportunity to have a real icky death that would be a trial from god? I keep hearing about people being tested by god. Their faith, I mean, not their intelligence. He knows better than that, I'm sure.

Fifty years later I'm still waiting for something horrible to happen to me. Would I have already felt gods love if I'd stayed a believer?

And money. This link guy, does he want most of my money or all of it? I'd have to budget for that and details would really help.

Oh yea, and I don't know much about Hinduism or Sihkism or Judaism or Jainism or Tenrikyo or Zoroastrianism or Druidry. I assume that since I am ignorant of those and other religions as well,  that you are also concerned about my not finding their gods.

Links please.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »
You all have a lot to learn about Christianity.

But I thought I learned everything I needed to know from sunday school...
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »
Within 40 seconds of OP's linked video Johnathan Fisk says that atheism is a religion and atheists believe nothing is true. I won't waste my time on the other 23 minutes and 54 seconds.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »
^^^Thanks... spared me 40 seconds
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 01:42:06 AM »
You all have a lot to learn about Christianity. Pastor Fisk's video here can help you, I hope you take the time to watch it and respond to him if you have questions.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpyzJUF2R9Q&feature=youtu.be

Take care!

Actually, you have a lot to learn about Christianity.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:45:34 AM »
My question is: if atheism is a religion, why are they bothering us? I mean, do they go to Muslim websites to save souls? Jewish ones? Buddhist ones? Hindu? No--so, if we're a religion: why do they bother us?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 02:12:59 AM »
An (arguably) better question: if atheism is a religion, then what would "not a religion-ism" look like?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 02:42:50 AM »
In the simple world of the religious, everything has to be in a context that they can understand. No matter how different a person is from them, that person must still have a religion, because they have a religion. They can't conceive of a non-religious stance. Faith has to be in there somewhere. Their reality requires that everyone be at least a little bit like them. Otherwise nobody else could exist.

You've heard of KISS, Keep it Simple, Stupid?

They've got KISS too. Keep it Stupid, Stupid. And sadly they want us to be stupid too.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 04:22:33 AM »
You all have a lot to learn about Christianity.

Actually in all likelihood, you have more to learn about Christianity and its variations than most atheists. Most regulars on this site have a pretty good grasp of Christian theology and scripture, many having been some flavor of Christian (myself included) before losing our faith. Yet in my experience, very few believers really understand how divided and varied their supposedly unchanging, self-evident religion actually is.

They live in their little self-contained bubbles, telling themselves that their particular sect is of course correct; at the same time wanting to pretend the differences between them and the Catholics and the Lutherans and the Universalists and the Methodists and the Mormons aren't really significant and that Christianity is really one big, all-inclusive tent for those who really and truly follow Jesus. But if that were true, where did all these sects come from and why are they still separate?

Pastor Fisk's video here can help you, I hope you take the time to watch it and respond to him if you have questions.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpyzJUF2R9Q&feature=youtu.be

Take care!

As Zankuu notes, Pastor Fisk gets some pretty basic things about atheism wrong within the first minute of the video. If he doesn't know or care enough to understand the difference between religious faith and its absence , why should I bother with the rest?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 04:35:45 AM »
So, Pastor Fisk, you think that atheists "believe that nothing is true"?

Either you're woefully misinformed about what atheism is, or you're deliberately lying about atheists.  Whichever one it is, I doubt that your knowledge of Christianity is much better.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
Is there an all-powerful god that created the universe and interacts with us daily?      No.

Ergo, Christianity is invalid.

So is Islam.

So is Judaism.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »

Take care!

I especially like Pastor Fisk's dodge of Question #3.

I capitalize the "Q" in "Question #3" just like Christians capitalize the first letter of the names of the various books in their biblical canon. That's another reason why atheism is just another religion.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
When I realized that I, as a high school student, knew more of the bible than my own pastor... it didn't help my faith any.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »
You all have a lot to learn about Christianity. Pastor Fisk's video here can help you,

before I invenst any time in this video, can you summarize it for me?  Can you give me pastor fisk's credentials?  What makes him any more reliable than any other huckster and snake oil salesman in a frock?  Why should I believe him?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.