Author Topic: Interesting Article on Young Earth Creationsim  (Read 706 times)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Interesting Article on Young Earth Creationsim
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
Maybe some good news...

In short, then, the hard core of young-earth creationists represents at most one in ten Americans—maybe about 31 million people—with another quarter favoring creationism but not necessarily committed to a young earth. One or two in ten seem firmly committed to evolution, and another third leans heavily toward evolution. About a third of the public in the middle are open to evolution, but feel strongly that a god or gods must have been involved somehow, and wind up in different camps depending how a given poll is worded.

http://ncse.com/blog/2013/11/just-how-many-young-earth-creationists-are-there-us-0015164

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Interesting Article on Young Earth Creationsim
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »
It's about time!  ;)
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
Those results are skewed. They didn't talk to Skeptic666 enough times!
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
Finally, progress :D
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
1 in 10 is still too many for that bat ass crazy thinking.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 04:32:34 AM »
Finally, progress :D

1 in 10 is still too many for that bat ass crazy thinking.

I agree with you both. Any degree of progress away from that kind of reality-denial is welcome, yet one in every ten is still far too high. These are the folks who insist that there's some kind of magic barrier separating "macro" from "micro" evolution; that "experimental science" is different from "historical science" (http://ncse.com/creationism/analysis/historical-science-vs-experimental-science).
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »
These are the folks who insist that there's some kind of magic barrier separating "macro" from "micro" evolution; that "experimental science" is different from "historical science" (http://ncse.com/creationism/analysis/historical-science-vs-experimental-science).

That kind of thing has always confused me, someone on this forum (probably multiple people), have used the analogy of "micro"-walking and "macro"-walking, i.e
"I accept that micro walking exists i.e, from your room to the door, but i don't believe that you can get from your house to the store by walking alone, you must be teleported by magic pixies for it to happen"

Where exactly is the disconnect? It seems to vary.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:02:13 AM »
Where exactly is the disconnect? It seems to vary.

It probably does vary from one YEC to another, but one common misconception seems to be the utterly incorrect idea that separate species cannot develop from a common ancestor, i.e. "A dog cannot become a cat! You can breed all the dogs you want from dogs but they'll never be cats!"

You can talk until you're blue in the face (or type til your fingers are numb) about ring species and that evolutionary theory says something completely different than this cartoon parody the YEC has stuck in their head. But I've yet to see the light dawn for them.

For them, "species" means organisms as different as the canids are from the felids. And for evolution to be true, that degree of difference must occur within a single generation. That really seems to be what many if not most YECs expect. In other words, evolution has to more closely resemble their idea of special creation.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:04:03 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
I have yet to hear a reply from a friend who "believes in micro-evolution" on my question of what mechanism prevents "micro-evolution" from becoming "macro-evolution".  To him, they are different, to science, they are one in the same, but involve different amounts of time.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »
Cool, that micro evolution. Two almost evolved species live in two separate valleys. But neither becomes a species until God drops in and does about 60min tinkering with a few chromosomes.  ;D

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
What they never seem to get is that since the process is so glacially slow, the only way to "observe" it is by backtracking to the most simple life forms, at which point the whole process becomes elegantly simple to understand, and all sorts of things (like vestigial legs, tails, etc, or the fact that our bodies are better designed for a quatruped rather than bipedal animal) all fall into place. And that's not even getting into how all the genetics fit together.
All they can see is that no new species magically arise in front of their eyes.

But the thing is that the world is so full of so many highly complex life forms with their own various niches and survival strategies that even if a new species WAS to be "in progress", so to speak, no one would ever live long enough to see it emerge. The only way to see that it did, again, would be to backtrack existent species and identify where it had branched off. And in the meantime, the only changes we can observe are those of the "micro" variety.

Sadly, the only really new things which might come about at this point would likely be those which found ways to take advantage of all the new ecologies and environments which would open up once humans had gone extinct.

Offline abbysometh1ng

• Freshman
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
I agree that 1 in 10 is way too high for an educated nation. When I was in my 30s, I went to a private religious college (I lasted exactly 1 semester there) because it was close to home...and I figured how hard could it be to tolerate the environment and keep my mouth shut? Could. Not. Do. It.  Every time I asked a question or made a comment, the kids would look at me like I was sprouting horns!

I didn't realize until I got there that it taught YEC... and I was a Biology major! How could an accredited college that teaches biology get away with teaching this to young minds? Relocated to the State College as soon as I could.

Offline wolfunchained

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
Its an interesting stat that 1 in 10 believe in young earth creationism. I remember about 15 years ago at high school we were taught evolution in year 11 science. Only myself (a born and bred seventhday adventist, now im an atheiest)and one other guy in my class believed in creationism. And he was a jehovas witness.  I  was so brainwashed from my upbringing i had so  many arguments with my teacher defending the bible and creation. Now as a logical rational thinker, i look back and i know i was using my pre programmed knowlege from my upbringing and church services every week.

Not many young people who are brought up in any religion get the full facts from thier parents and the facts that they get told are like, "evolution is the devil trying to win your soul if u believe in that". Or its the same nonsense handed down by thier parents and they have never thought to question it.

Im just lucky i got out so im not a statistic of brainwashing. Its so disturbing what children are subjected to when they are most vunerable.
now I've broken through the glass, im lacerated from my past, I climbed over my prison walls, the pain was delightful.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +516/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
Maybe some good news...

In short, then, the hard core of young-earth creationists represents at most one in ten Americans—maybe about 31 million people—with another quarter favoring creationism but not necessarily committed to a young earth. One or two in ten seem firmly committed to evolution, and another third leans heavily toward evolution. About a third of the public in the middle are open to evolution, but feel strongly that a god or gods must have been involved somehow, and wind up in different camps depending how a given poll is worded.

http://ncse.com/blog/2013/11/just-how-many-young-earth-creationists-are-there-us-0015164
The only question should be:

Do you agree that God created everything in 6 days starting 23rd September 4004BC or do you spit in the face of Baby Jesus and want to burn eternally in the Fires of the Pit of Darkness surrounded by Satan and all the fallen souls?"

Anything else is liberal biased hogwash. The US was founded by True Christians and what's good enough for them is good enough for me! And now we've got lesbians!

I blame the Clintons.

(My meds seem to be wearing off...)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
BM

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
Yay! Progress
-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces