Author Topic: Not Enough Love  (Read 633 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Not Enough Love
« on: November 07, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »
There is just not enough LOVE in this world.  That's it.  That's the problem.  Belief in God makes it a little better.  Some people actually Love others because of their faith.  Some people use their belief to justify cruelty.  Atheist use the need to rid the world of belief for their cruelty.  In comparison I'll take the atheist at least they don't promote discrimination.  Although they do discriminate against believers.  They're not burning people at the stakes or condemning them to eternal torture.  I just wish I or any body could convince both sides that there is no place for cruelty in a peaceful world.  The day humanity excepts this is a day that will change the world to a better safer place for our children.  How many people have to suffer and die before the stubborn human race realizes that to solve the problem it will take LOVE.  First you have to care. 

I do believe that having God to recognize our good works with a peaceful afterlife offers more motivation than the alternative.  Having a higher power to lean on that we need not fear is key to making this world a better place. :)  I don't think fear of hell should be the motivation.  I think it should be LOVE; gods or no gods it should be LOVE.

I dream of world that thrives on LOVE. 
No suffering, violence or poverty.
When our short stay on this planet is joyful
Tears and fears are few and far between
The reward will be like nothing we've ever seen... 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
Re: Not Enough Love
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
I would be interested to hear your views on how to strike a balance between LOVE and economic efficiency.

Also LOVE and euthanasia. For example, is it LOVing to keep people alive if they have genetic diseases, which they would propagate to others, causing pain and loss of productivity?

What happens when one persons vision of LOVE contradicts another's?

It wouldn't actually occur to you that people are trying to be LOVing, but other people are getting in the way.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
I agree with Junebug. I've just finished an engineering course with Greeks (f**king lazy Greeks), Italians (f**king corrupt Italians), Spaniards (lazy), French (lazy and stupid), Icelandics (inbred Vikings), Romanians (F**king Gypsies), Hungarians (communists), Danish (more f**king inbred Vikings) and the English. I hate them the most.

I've just met some of the most intelligent friendliest people it's ever been my good fortune to meet. If we can get past this 'Us' and 'Them' culture, we, as a species, might have a chance.

I don't think religion helps here. It promotes too much 'Us' and 'Them'.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »

Tru dat...
Star Stuff posted this quote the other day:  Being a Christian or being a Muslim means being different.  Being a human means being the same.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
I would be interested to hear your views on how to strike a balance between LOVE and economic efficiency.

Also LOVE and euthanasia. For example, is it LOVing to keep people alive...,<snip>
Working in Long Term Care and in HomeCare I have witnessed the difficult decisions made in the end stages of one's life.  When treatments have run their course and failed.  When all that is left is pain and breathing is a labor.  When the light that used to shine in someone's eyes is only a memory.  And the family is left with the decision whether to have medical personnel stick a bunch of needles in their arms, pierce that body with a feeding tube and shove another tube down it's throat, and yet one more up it's urethra so machines can keep that shell going until the heart inside of it stops beating.  Just so they won't have to say they gave up.  And they will try not to see the fleeting pleading expression that occurs once in awhile.  And then they cry to the single tone of the flat line when all life support finally stops, then machines are unhooked one by one, and the peace has returned to the eyes.  The Jamaican nurses hurry to open the window so the soul can escape, the christian nurses figure the soul was gone before they hooked up that first machine. The rational ones figure we just spent a lot of time and money and put a lot of people through a lot of pain for no good reason.
What happens when one persons vision of LOVE contradicts another's?
I've seen several cases where kids violated their parents DNR or living will.  In only 2 cases did the parent come out of it conscious and cognizant to voice his opinion.  One was glad, the other was bitter and remained chronically ill.  The rest died slow and painful deaths.

It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »
This is in my head so much today.  This is what the world needs.

It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »
Add I feel euthanasia should be available to patients suffering much pain and indignities on the count of their disease and there's no chance of recoveries.  I also think it should be between the DR and patience and their wishes.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »

Tru dat...
Star Stuff posted this quote the other day:  Being a Christian or being a Muslim means being different.  Being a human means being the same.

You left out being atheist.  Just saying!
Thomas Paine

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »

Tru dat...

You left out being atheist.  Just saying!

One of the most fascinating things to me about humanity is how much we differ, and how much we're the same. That goes for just about everything. And over time, I've noticed that I both want to be the same (a member of some group) and want to be unique (special). Perhaps its a human trait to want to be noticed for our special qualities, but also to be loved and accepted as part of the clan. As an example, look at kids in school. They want a group, a clique if you will, but they want to dress in some way to stand out. I used to dress as a hippy. Tight jeans, baggy army jacket, peace symbols sewn onto both. But I also wanted to find some of my own "kind" to hang with. People I felt safe with, and not alone.

I do agree with you, in general, that kindness and love are sometimes in short supply in the world. People take the "us vs. them" part of the above too seriously. They focus on finding their "clan" and then start focusing on the differences instead of the similarities between people. As a very extreme religious example, take the Westboro Baptist Church folks. Huddled up in their own little world of hatred and bigotry, they've basically removed themselves from any feeling of similarity to the world at large. Listening to the folks who've left them is fascinating. They've somehow removed themselves from the atmosphere of hatred, and found a way to embrace a more humane viewpoint.

This isn't a perfect demonstration of what I'm talking about, only addressing one side. But Johnny Depp is cute, so what the heck. LOL

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »
Just because I love pictures. And horses. And dogs.  ;D  Here is an example of differing species exhibiting their vast difference and their somehow finding common ground.

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
Add I feel euthanasia should be available to patients suffering much pain and indignities on the count of their disease and there's no chance of recoveries.  I also think it should be between the DR and patience and their wishes.

totally agree.