Author Topic: The doctor is in  (Read 540 times)

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
The doctor is in
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
Hello. I've lurked this forum for a while, but I've been dealing with some issues recently and decided to join. I ceased to "believe" in Christianity many years ago, but the residual fear of hell remains.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The doctor is in
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »
Who's got the Maple Syrup?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »
... but the residual fear of hell remains.

Welcome DrPancake  :) 

One way to deal with the fear of hell is to think long and hard about the hell that is called heaven - stuck up there and nothing to do for all eternity  :o 

At least below in hell there'll be some dancing to watch - the flames.
Git mit uns

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »
Welcome Dr Pancake.

You're avatar has me seriously tempted to go here at lunchtime, just 5 minutes walk from my office:

http://www.pancakemanor.com.au/
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
Welcome, imprinting fear of hell on us is a control mechanism.  Cast it off for what it is...imaginary.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »
I figure that if there is a hell, then a whole lot of folks before are already suffering, and I have no right to think I'm special. Besides, if my sweet little grandmother is down there just because she wasn't  born again, then I'd rather be with her than the alternative. Which would be to be with those people who are gloating up in heaven.

And if I have to do something forever, I want it to be a lot more interesting than kissing ass.

But don't worry about hell. It is so obviously a human invention that the church should get a frickin' patent. Or at least a copyright. It takes human fears, amplifies them, and then uses the imagery as a threat to get people to do the bidding of the bully pulpit (Not the political bully pulpit, as per Teddy Roosevelt, but the religious bully pulpit; those bullies up on the pulpit).

In any case, welcome DrPancake. I'll resist the temptation to nickname you Buckwheat, which is my favorite kind of pancake. Consider yourself lucky.  ;D

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
Welcome, imprinting fear of hell on us is a control mechanism.  Cast it off for what it is...imaginary.

Hell is probably the most effective mind control technique ever devised. Though it doesn't work without social conditioning, which is why American Christians aren't afraid of the possibility of Islamic Hell.

I'm hoping being around people who can see this thing for what it is, will help me overcome this and I can get on with my life.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
Where there is no god, there is no hell.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum, DrPancake.

Fear of hell and damnation was very real to me when I was a Christian. I still remember one particular nightmare about hell and demons (influenced heavily by Lewis' Screwtape Letters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screwtape_Letters) that made me wake up screaming. Realizing hell was no more real than heaven was a great load off my mind.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  As a recent non-believer letting go of the concept of hell was really not difficult.  It is the feeling that some malevolent omnimax sadist is still screwing with my life that I am still grappling with. /sarcasm
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
Hi Dr Pancake, nice to meet you.

We're having a conversation somewhat on this topic over here: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,25741.0.html

More about why heaven makes no sense, which sort of leads to why hell doesn't either. Its a good thread but the part that might interest you starts at the 6th post or thereabouts.

I was raised Catholic, more than "cultural" but not too loopy - I got out before being confirmed, around 17 or so. I remember going through a similar thing when I first started to realize that I didn't believe the religion I was following.  It sounds so crazy to say this, I knew that I absolutely didn't believe in the christian god by the time I was 20 or so, but on some level I was still pretty sure I was going to hell for it. I didn't believe in god but I did believe that the god I didn't believe in was going to send me to hell for not believing in him.

It literally sounds like the rantings of an insane person. Knowing that I really believed two mutually exclusive things was such a (apologies for the language) mindf*ck that I just slammed the mental door shut on the whole topic for years.  There's only so long you can look at that conflict inside your own head without doing damage to your psyche when you can't budge the damn thing.

It was actually infuriating for a while after I finally dealt with it - I was angry over all the years I wasted being afraid to examine my fears. It's like I was sort of... trapped in my own mind on this one thing - my intellect couldn't get past my beliefs no matter how hard I tired to line them up, because deep down inside, I remained pretty sure that I was going to fry for an eternity. I knew it wasn't true but I didn't yet believe it.

I can't promise you a way to resolve this for yourself. I can tell you that eventually, it just wasn't there anymore. I deliberately avoided dealing with my religious "beliefs" (which I now recognize as imposed rather than chosen) and when I finally opened that locked mental door, the space where all of my god beliefs had once lived was empty. I hope your journey is much shorter, your real freedom from that fear much closer.

Welcome. Find a chair and make yourself comfortable. Enjoy!

Edited to add: realizing that you are under the influence of strong conditioning may actually be quite beneficial. If you see it as breaking a behavior habit, that may be easier to approach.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:45:01 PM by Jag »
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum, DrPancake.

Fear of hell and damnation was very real to me when I was a Christian.

Same here. I didn't feel "saved" back then. I would go to sleep almost every night in terror of the thought that I hadn't been "faithful" or "righteous" enough and that I'd end up in Hell. And there would be no comforting message from GodJesus suggesting otherwise, so the fear persisted.

I've heard people refer to Hell as "just separation from God" or "the flames are a metaphor", and I just shake my head.

Children aren't being taught to fear a metaphor.

They're being told they'll be burned and tortured by monsters, forever, and that this a real consequence for disbelief/sin.

But thankfully the illusion is falling apart for me. I've decided I'm not going to live in fear of this obvious control method anymore.

If there's a good god, he wouldn't have a Hell. And if there is an evil god who will dump people in a cosmic incinerator for not meeting the right requirements, then I'd say all humanity is f-ed.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 11:03:09 PM »
I've heard people refer to Hell as "just separation from God" or "the flames are a metaphor", and I just shake my head.

Children aren't being taught to fear a metaphor.

They're being told they'll be burned and tortured by monsters, forever, and that this a real consequence for disbelief/sin.

Bam, nail on the head.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius