Author Topic: God and National Interests  (Read 219 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
God and National Interests
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
I was driving across town this morning and saw a sign in a yard that said:
Pray and Fast for our Nation

I actually circled the block to make sure that I read it correctly (it snowed here last night so the sign wasn't completely clear) and yep, that's exactly what it said.

First thought was the usual "you could try standing up and DOING something instead" but that was quickly followed by "what the heck would someone base this idea on in the first place?"

Is there any accounting in the bible of God intervening in any way for anyone other than the Jews? I'm not talking about individuals, I'm talking about a nation - what nation heavily populated with christians has God ever shown any sort of special protection to? What would lead a believer to think that fasting and praying is going to get the (presumed) christian God to intervene in the interests of a nation?

In fact, this idea seems more closely related to Islam and the 5 Pillars than anything I can think of in christianity...

Biblical scholarship is not my strong point, so to any who are particularly strong in that area of study offer any examples?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:37:11 PM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: God and National Interests
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
Are you sure the sign didn't mean, "Pray fast for our Nation"? Or that it wasn't put their by Muslims?

;)

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
Saw somewhere on the net today where some politician thinks abortion is the cause of global warming.  His thinking was that the country has lost favor with God because of abortion so God shut the door on regulating the environment for us.  So, see, that sign in the yard makes sense.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
If they were on food stamps, recent government cutbacks will insure the fasting part takes care of itself.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
Well, if the economy doesn't get better for those of us not in the upper 1%, a whole lot of us will be fasting soon. Even if we don't pray, that'll really really help, right?

The problem with adhering to simple solutions is this. They are the byproduct of an oversimplified description of the actual problem. Which means that the person doesn't know diddly, but they're pretty clear on the solution.

Its hard for anyone to define a problem well enough to look for viable answers. Its even harder if a person doesn't even try.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:05:14 PM »
$%&#@)^&#$@%&*!!!!!!

Why can't I just be an opportunist marketer and take advantage of their useless piety and smug self satisfaction??????

Sometimes I get just a wee bit resentful of having a moral code that forbids me from taking advantage of the weak-minded. I feel better now,  having gotten that off my chest.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »
Not a one of us is talking about my question though, myself included (imagine that.)

The question was serious - aside from the Red Sea highway, does the bible ever have god intervening on behalf of a nation? There's an eclipse (Jericho?) but that's hardly an intervention in a nations affairs. Other than the Jews (and boy have they ever paid for it), has he ever actually acted directly on any group?

This whole "bible god is a great guy! YAY JESUS!" thing gets thinner and thinner.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:07:27 AM »
Report came out today that 1 in 6 live in poverty in the USA.  And we are cutting back on social programs.  That makes sense.  God will pick up the slack.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
Not a one of us is talking about my question though, myself included (imagine that.)

The question was serious - aside from the Red Sea highway, does the bible ever have god intervening on behalf of a nation? There's an eclipse (Jericho?) but that's hardly an intervention in a nations affairs. Other than the Jews (and boy have they ever paid for it), has he ever actually acted directly on any group?

This whole "bible god is a great guy! YAY JESUS!" thing gets thinner and thinner.

God helped the Spanish do in the Mayans and Aztecs, many of em died from exposure to diseases God originally gave to the Spanish.

:(
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle