Author Topic: tips on detecting illusions and slight of hand  (Read 192 times)

Offline wigglytuff

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
tips on detecting illusions and slight of hand
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »
i was wondering can anyone give me some advice on how to detect slight of hand with things like psychic surgeries and the like, for example here http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w053 ... artie_news is the work of a supposed psychic surgeon and i believe that he is just screwing around, though i cant quite put my finger on it, but can anyone give some key signs of slight of hand at work?

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
Re: tips on detecting illusions and slight of hand
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
James Randi can help you out.  8)

Offline wigglytuff

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
i looked at several of his vids about psychic surgons, but i want to know what are some key signs of fakery like in the video i showed here and how to detect those key signs

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
Just an FYI - not trying to be a smart arse - it's 'sleight' of hand, not slight of hand.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »
Looks like you already brought this up last year, and you got some very good answers worth looking through again:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23973.msg534076.html#msg534076

"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:28:43 AM »
What seriously?

The short version, is that this is all fake.  Obviously fake.  If this man had a legitimate condition that she claimed to 'cure' then he could potentially die from lack of proper medical treatment.

Snake oil at best, intentionally putting people at risk of death at worst.

The truth is if you're looking for a way to detect stuff like this, you probably want to look at something *other* than what the performer wants you to be looking at.  That's how sleight of hand works; you're looking elsewhere.  Try a forum for magicians.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline wigglytuff

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »
Looks like you already brought this up last year, and you got some very good answers worth looking through again:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23973.msg534076.html#msg534076
well the thing is that the story of Michaelsen is so messed up and yet there weren't any debunkings of her non-sense, and then not only are there "confirmations" by people with all these photos is just really messed up, and as well what really got me mad was that some people are claiming one of her reletives had the "gift" and i even talked to someone who said they can give me that person's contacts! the guy i mentioned has contacts here http://www.blogger.com/profile/01875117881832481062 if anyone actually wants to contact him
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:18:40 PM by wigglytuff »