Author Topic: Creationists: Describe The Theory of Evolution, properly (And Why You Disagree)  (Read 11665 times)

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
Hell of a curse, though. Maybe Noah aimed it wrong, because he was a drunken arsehole. I hope they put it in the Noah movie.
That can't be right, because gawd chose him as a "pure being"
/sarcasm
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Does purity wear off over time? It must. After the flood, Noah's family were supposed to be industriously re-inventing human society for us.  It would take a lot of time to develop irrigated agriculture, and bury all those fossils in precise evolutionary layers.  You would not think they had time to screw around, what with devising a way to transport the penguins to the South Pole and the marsupials to Australia without a single escape, and all. It should have been a nerdfest of Gorillas in the Mist plus Biosphere II plus Apollo 13. But instead, they went all Survivor: Gilligan's Island Edition plus Girls Gone Wild.

Noah's peeps were the finest, most righteous and upstanding god-believing people on the planet? From the way they acted as soon as they got off the ark--sinning and drinking and daughters having party sex with dad--they might as well have been reality tv stars like that overweight hillbilly family.[1]

Or else everyone besides the Noah family was so incredibly awful that the Magic Sleazy Eight looked good by comparison. Imagine how bad things would have to be before the athiests on this board get wiped off the planet, but Paris Hilton, Michael Jackson's family and the Kardashians make the final cut to be saved..... :o
 1. When Noah's Ark--2014 becomes a reality show, remember you heard it here first. :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:17:32 PM by nogodsforme »
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
I'm new so I will keep it brief.  Skeptic can shoot down everything he can't understand but yet what we don't understand is how god did it?  Skeptic can you please tell me how god did it.  Did he snap his fingers or was it like bender, every time he farted a new universe was born.  If you are going to expect evolutionists to explain something that doesn't fit into your god did idea.  Then I believe we deserve your explanation on how god did it. I don't want to hear it's a mystery.  Please tell how he did it.  I'm tired of science doing all the hard work for humanity and you theists grabbing credit without showing any of the work.
The bible was pronounced dead at the scene

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
I'm new so I will keep it brief.  Skeptic can shoot down everything he can't understand but yet what we don't understand is how god did it?  Skeptic can you please tell me how god did it.  Did he snap his fingers or was it like bender, every time he farted a new universe was born.  If you are going to expect evolutionists to explain something that doesn't fit into your god did idea.  Then I believe we deserve your explanation on how god did it. I don't want to hear it's a mystery.  Please tell how he did it.  I'm tired of science doing all the hard work for humanity and you theists grabbing credit without showing any of the work.

Welcome 1makesitwrong. Good question. But don't expect any answers. "i dunno?" is good enough for them. In fact, that exceeds their standards.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
If you are going to expect evolutionists to explain something that doesn't fit into your god did idea.  Then I believe we deserve your explanation on how god did it. I don't want to hear it's a mystery.  Please tell how he did it.  I'm tired of science doing all the hard work for humanity and you theists grabbing credit without showing any of the work.

Welcome to the forum, 1makesitwrong.

An understandable frustration, but as PP noted, don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. Or rather, a satisfactory answer. Having a god to fall back on as an explanation is too handy for some theists: if science can provide an answer to a given phenomenon, then it was their god's brilliance behind it all. If science or logic fails to explain something, then it's their god's mysterious ways...
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
So has any theist here accurately described the theory of evolution?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
So has any theist here accurately described the theory of evolution?

Not that I've seen! We seem to have, as usual, gone off on side issues and the theists have ignored the question. I noticed the odd comment about not understading science but there are enough resources to enable a non-science person to understand the process. For example -

New Scientist has a Beginners Guide

The Natural history Museum has helpful articles

These ought to be enough to get anyone started in understanding. To be fair, I have problems knowing why anyone would not want to know how we all came to be like we are today - how our world developed. The biblical stories don't really explain anything as they, rather, state facts without any explanation. There's nothing hard to understand and it fascinating.

Come on theists, read the above links to really try to understand this important bit of science.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:59:20 PM by jetson »
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
I am going to develop a user-friendly "theory of evolution basics" presentation for my college. I have way too many students like the theists on this board:

--People who wash their hands with soap and water before they eat, without even thinking about how revolutionary and life-saving that simple action is;

--People who expect to live to an active and healthy 75+, even if they have serious injuries and illnesses along the way[1]that would have definitely killed their ancestors;

--People who cook with microwaves, drive a hybrid car operated by a computer to work, and carry more technological power around in their pocket than NASA used to put astronauts on the moon;

--People who watch the old Lost in Space, Jetsons, Star Trek or Dr. Who shows and laugh because we now have everyday objects that surpass 1970's imaginary future;

--People who accept CSI lab analysis as the most accurate and sophisticated method of detecting crime and catching criminals;

BUT WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MOST BASIC PRINCIPLES OF SCIENCE, DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD WORKS, DENY THAT SCIENCE HAS EVER DONE ANYTHING IMPORTANT OR USEFUL FOR HUMANITY, THINK NOAH'S FLOOD REALLY HAPPENED, BELIEVE JESUS RODE A DINOSAUR, AND OF COURSE, DOUBT THE VALIDITY OF THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION. BECAUSE GOD AND THE BIBLE.

In other words, people who benefit from science in more ways than they can count, and yet want to attribute those benefits to supernatural forces instead of the brains and hard work of  thousands of nerds, many of them atheists. So of course, such people don't see the point in supporting scientific research or having good science/math classes in schools and colleges.

Yeah, dammit, it's kinda personal..... >:(
 1. like pneumonia, a complicated pregnancy, a brain tumor..... or even an amputation
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:04:58 PM by nogodsforme »
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins

Whoever fed you those ideas were certainly not Christians.

People who are led by demons would use the "women came from Adam!" as an excuse for their hatred. People who are racist will use the "curse of Ham" as an excuse to be racist.

Christians would never do this. Christians recognize that male and female were created equal in God's eyes. Black people are God's special creatures as well.

Please show me the verse that says "the curse" is making someone black. You won't be able to because it's not in the Bible!

Bigots use the Bible as an excuse because they are led by demons and pervert the Holy Perfect Word.

You will not find the Bible saying this nonsense. Everyone is equal in God's eyes.

Matthew 7:15
"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves."

These are just more assumptions that you've attempted to backup with just more assumptions. Everyone is equal in God's eyes? Read your bible (Exodus ch 21). The condoning of slavery falsifies your claim to 'equality' by this alleged deity (but these writings are by men anyway and we would expect them to condone such things back then). Your term "equal" has no meaning b/c you will attempt to switch it's definition whenever inconvenient to your assumed religious beliefs. There is no equality with your alleged deity. Otherwise this thing wouldn't violate it's own rules (killing it's own 'children' while claiming to love them), have a "chosen people", or only claim to save some but not all. Horse malarkey superstition!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
I've spoken with a lot of creationists recently and I keep hearing that they accept 'micro-evolution' but not 'macro-evolution'.

Could this be visualised by imagining a snooker table completely covered with yellow balls, where a creationist would not accept that the entire table could be changed to red balls, but they would accept that one yellow ball could be replaced by one red ball? And maybe after some period of time another yellow ball could be replaced with a red ball?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
I don't think so  - they wouldn't regard it as an accurate analogy.  To them, the ball is half covered with yellow snooker balls, and half with yellow tennis balls.  Yellow snooker balls can become red snooker balls, but a snooker ball cannot become a tennis ball, is the way they would see it.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
The best analogy I've seen (sorry can't remember who it was or I'd credit) is that creationists accept 'micro' evolution, where small changes, say dog breeding occur, but reject large change.  If you take change and use actual money it's akin to saying that if you add pennies you'll get small change, but you'll never get dollars or hundreds.

Yet, if you keep adding pennies, you can eventually get to a million dollars. (obviously).

There is probably a fallacy for it, fallacy of large numbers or some such.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
I also like the one where it starts with red text and over the couse of a paragraph it makes 2 'macro' changes to purple then blue using only 'micro' changes.

Thier stance seems like saying: no matter how many drops of water you put in a bucket, it will never hold more than just a drop. Certainly you cannot fill a cup, glass, jar or bucket, one drop at a time.

Edit: This is how the creationist pov sounds to me: Have you ever seen a rock erode? How can you possibly know or prove that it happens? It's just water!!! Rocks are rocks!!! Unless you can take a picture of the exact moment a drop of water erodes a rock you cannot prove that it really happens!!!! Even if it were true, a small drop of water would only move the smallest amount of material!!! There's no way big changes can happen like holes or even cutting a path through an entire mountain range!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:04:55 AM by Ivellios »