Author Topic: What's the worst excuse Christians gave when they can't explain what you asked?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
Yeah, he clarified.  Thanks, DrP!

And yeah, his example basically boils down to them saying "Stop asking questions!"
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
God makes the rules/God doesn't have to explain himself to you.

"I can make people suffer all I want and I don't have to explain or justify dick because I'm God.

You better love and obey me though. OR ELSE."

Yuppo.
We are supposed to accept god as a total dictator or slave master who not only makes arbitrary rules that everyone must follow (or else) but that he himself is not bound by? In what part of life does that make any sense? A president or king acting like that in the real world risks getting assassinated. A boss who acts like that risks losing his employees. Parents who act like that risk getting their kids taken away.....Nobody would choose that in any area but religion.[1]

Leaders are not supposed to be above the law-- that is how you tell a dictatorship from a democracy. Dictatorships based on religion like Saudi Arabia have an extra special hold over people, as long as there is no freedom of religion. That is why theocracies are not compatible with democracy.

PS I love pancakes. :D
 1. and maybe an S/M scenario, but even that has ground rules that "S" not supposed to violate...or "M" won't show up again.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Median,

I was looking for something to go on your new morality thread. I found this but it fits here too.

http://www.chforum.org/library/choice12.shtml

It is a comparison of two mindsets, for example the global mindset of the religious person (called the hedgehog) and the selective mindset of the scientist (called the fox).

The study shows how the religious mindset filters information: They resent and resist challenges. They work hard to exclude dissonance. They exhibit false memories, of what they previously said or believed. When tested against actual events the religious mindset is found to have less explanatory power. So this is the underlying reason why religious people cannot explain anything. It is not just the religion but the way they think.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
We are supposed to accept god as a total dictator or slave master who not only makes arbitrary rules that everyone must follow (or else) but that he himself is not bound by? In what part of life does that make any sense? A president or king acting like that in the real world risks getting assassinated.

It's even worse when you take into account the authority figure hides itself and refuses to communicate. People have to decide which set of arbitrary rules is the correct one, never knowing if they're right or wrong due to a complete lack of feedback.