Author Topic: What's the worst excuse Christians gave when they can't explain what you asked?  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32
It's not God's opinion. It's God's nature.

"Natures" don't have moral positions.  Conscious minds do.  You didn't cite a thing, a nature - you cited a mind doing valuation.  God's mind.  Now you're changing your story to something nonsensical.  Why?

And for that matter, one could simply say that Kim Jung-Il's nature is to have a certain set of morals, too.  So what?

So basically, "If you're a human, we'll try to end your suffering. If you're a cockroach, we'll suffocate you with poison gas."

Basically a holocaust for cockroaches is OK?

Addressed above.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Biased as I am by being a human and not a cockroach, yes.  Similarly I am in favor of using antibiotics to kill harmful bacteria in my body, even though millions of them will die.  We are in agreement on this point, just not on why.

Interesting point. So you are guilty of speciesism. That's no different from racism.

I am curious if you believe it's wrong to be racist.
If so, why is it ok to be a speciesist?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Skeptic, would you say that if there was no god, you would act like hitler?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32
Biased as I am by being a human and not a cockroach, yes.  Similarly I am in favor of using antibiotics to kill harmful bacteria in my body, even though millions of them will die.  We are in agreement on this point, just not on why.

Interesting point. So you are guilty of speciesism. That's no different from racism.

I am curious if you believe it's wrong to be racist.
If so, why is it ok to be a speciesist?

Answer that question yourself.  Because, as I pointed out, and which couldn't think of a way to address...

... your god does not give you an objective moral standard.  You're still just using your own.  Even if you decide to abide by the dictates of a deity, you are still the one who took it upon himself to declare that deity "right".  The only moral authority you will ever have is your own.

This is necessarily true even if your god existed.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
Biased as I am by being a human and not a cockroach, yes.

I'm reminded of the lambs and the birds of prey from On the Genealogy of Morality:

"The problem with the other origin of the 'good,' of the good man, as the person of ressentiment has thought it out for himself, demands some conclusion. It is not surprising that the lambs should bear a grudge against the great birds of prey, but that is no reason for blaming the great birds of prey for taking the little lambs. And when the lambs say among themselves, 'These birds of prey are evil, and he who least resembles a bird of prey, who is rather its opposite, a lamb,—should he not be good?' then there is nothing to carp with in this ideal's establishment, though the birds of prey may regard it a little mockingly, and maybe say to themselves, 'We bear no grudge against them, these good lambs, we even love them: nothing is tastier than a tender lamb.'"
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443

No.

But I would do away with all laws. No reason to have them.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32

No.

But I would do away with all laws. No reason to have them.

So at heart, you are a nihilist.  You don't have values, only obedience to an authority.  No morals of your own at all.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
You hear that Az, being against cockroaches makes you a racist.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
Biased as I am by being a human and not a cockroach, yes.

I'm reminded of the lambs and the birds of prey from On the Genealogy of Morality:

"The problem with the other origin of the 'good,' of the good man, as the person of ressentiment has thought it out for himself, demands some conclusion. It is not surprising that the lambs should bear a grudge against the great birds of prey, but that is no reason for blaming the great birds of prey for taking the little lambs. And when the lambs say among themselves, 'These birds of prey are evil, and he who least resembles a bird of prey, who is rather its opposite, a lamb,—should he not be good?' then there is nothing to carp with in this ideal's establishment, though the birds of prey may regard it a little mockingly, and maybe say to themselves, 'We bear no grudge against them, these good lambs, we even love them: nothing is tastier than a tender lamb.'"

The point is that I am sure cows would call us evil for eating hamburgers. Yet, you wouldn't think you are evil.

This is how when you guys call God evil, we know God isn't evil.
We are like the cow and God is like the humans.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1

You heard it here first folks.

God wants to turn us into human-burgers.

Does he wants fries with that?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32
Thing is, if there really was a big difference between identifiable "races" of humans that had a genetic cause, racism strictly on the basis of that difference might be somewhat justified.  There isn't, so it's not.

Treating humans and cockroaches differently is justified on the basis of them being very tangibly different creatures.  Treating sulfuric acid and maple syrup differently is also justified on the basis of them being very tangibly different solutions.

The reason racism is harmful for human beings is that the idea of racial division within the human species is a bogus concept to begin with.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443

-Nam

Species-ist, Nam.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
Thing is, if there really was a big difference between identifiable "races" of humans that had a genetic cause, racism strictly on the basis of that difference might be somewhat justified.  There isn't, so it's not.

Treating humans and cockroaches differently is justified on the basis of them being very tangibly different creatures.  Treating sulfuric acid and maple syrup differently is also justified on the basis of them being very tangibly different solutions.

The reason racism is harmful for human beings is that the idea of racial division within the human species is a bogus concept to begin with.

Being against racism is a Christian Biblical principle though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
Skeptic,

Hindus are human, the cow is sacred to them, so isn't everyone evil in the eyes of Hindus, of those that eat cow?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32

The Bible was used to justify race-based slavery.  Quit with the BS; it's not convincing anyone.

Any comment on what I actually wrote?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443

reductio ad absurdum

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84

-Nam

Species-ist, Nam.

You linked racism to it as if the implication was that there's a correlation to the two. Stop backtracking.

-Nam

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
The point is that I am sure cows would call us evil for eating hamburgers. Yet, you wouldn't think you are evil.

I agree.

Then just as there is no reason for a cow to worship humans, there is no reason for humans to worship God.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84

Bullshit. Cite source or stfu.

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443

The Bible was used to justify race-based slavery.  Quit with the BS; it's not convincing anyone.

Of course it was used to justify slavery....by corrupt people led by demons.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32

Righteous Christians following God's true word[1], unlike you.

But anyway, I take it that you don't have a comment on what I actually wrote; and this I will take as tacit agreement with it on all points.
 1. Tongue in cheek, in case there was doubt.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide

If the Bible was written by people influenced by demons...how is the Bible trustworthy?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443
Skeptic,

Hindus are human, the cow is sacred to them, so isn't everyone evil in the eyes of Hindus, of those that eat cow?

-Nam

No. God gave us the animals for food. Demons have convinced some people that eating meat is a bad thing:

1 Tim 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1 Tim 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1 Tim 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats*, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32
If the Bible was written by people influenced by demons...how is the Bible trustworthy?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he meant the people justifying race-based slavery, not the original slavery-supporting authors.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443

I agree.

Then just as there is no reason for a cow to worship humans, there is no reason for humans to worship God.

So it is your position that it is OK to kill something as long as they are not worshiping you?

I am not worshiping you....

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
Skeptic,

-Nam

No. God gave us the animals for food. Demons have convinced some people that eating meat is a bad thing:

1 Tim 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1 Tim 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1 Tim 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats*, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

You're an idiot, or better yet, it's probably more insulting to you if I say: you're a demon.

I'm going with that from now on...no, you're an idiot demon. See, you're not even a smart demon. Sad for you.

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-443

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he meant the people justifying race-based slavery, not the original slavery-supporting authors.

biblical slavery was indentured servitude. They got a place to live and free food for their hard work they did. Nothing like the africans in chains in slavery from the 1800's. Thank God Christians put an end to that stuff.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1

reductio ad absurdum

I only had an absurd argument to work with.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32

I agree.

So it is your position that it is OK to kill something as long as they are not worshiping you?

I am not worshiping you....

No, his point is that in your analogy of the cows and humans being like humans and God, respectively, neither the cows nor the humans are objectively "right" in their moral judgments about the other.  If your analogy was truly meant to work, then you'd be saying that neither humans nor God are objectively "right" in their moral judgments, either.