Author Topic: What's the worst excuse Christians gave when they can't explain what you asked?  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
I'll give some that they told me:

"You need to interpret the texts with divine inspiration."

"You're taking this out of context."

"You need to pray to God so he gives you understanding."

"The Old Testatment is not to be followed. You just need to understand the historic context."

"Prayer didn't work because it's not God's will."

"My [insert close family member] went to heaven even without being a Christian." (then they try to convert you saying you can only be saved through Jesus)
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
"God works in mysterious ways."

"I will pray for you."
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Goddidit
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Person A: {makes positive claim with regards to some aspect of objective reality}
Person B: {asks question regarding the implications of said claim regarding objective reality}

Person A: {repeats positive claim with regards to some aspect of objective reality as if Person B never asked the question}
Person B: {asks question again, answers own question and highlights contradictory facts, logical errors, or otherwise unsatisfactory implications of said answer}

Person A: {repeats positive claim with regards to some aspect of objective reality as if Person B never asked the question}
Person B: {asks question again, provides different answer to own question and highlights other contradictory facts, logical errors, or otherwise unsatisfactory implications of said answer}

Person B: {displays frustration}

Person A: {claims that Person B doesn't have faith, doesn't understand, is close-minded, hateful, petty, biased, etc.}
Person B: {head asplodes}
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
*Makes argument about bible verse*

Theist: Ohh, that is a metaphor/other shit.

*sigh*
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
"Would you like to speak to a Priest about this?"  :o
Git mit uns

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
"I don't understand everything, all I know is the prophecies were fulfilled and that's good enough for me."
Git mit uns

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
"The bible said it, I believe it, the end."

"We know the bible is the word of god, it says so."
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
X: "Love the sinner hate the sin"
Me: "Explain how that's possible, because we clearly don't define the word 'love' the same way."
X: "*"

*any babbling nonsense that they say in response to this question to date would fit in this "worst excuse" category.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:36:15 PM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
"Well, you can't take that part literally..."

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +848/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
How can you not believe? Blank look. Change of subject.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline shnozzola

Well, remember, the Lord helps those that help themselves.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
My favorite is those who know I'm a "strong" atheist who state, when I do something good (in their eyes) that, though I may not believe it, that that is Jesus/God working through me, and trying to save my soul.

I get this on/offline at least once a month.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
This "We are under grace, so the OT law doesn't apply"
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
"We cannot understand the mind of God."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Well, remember, the Lord helps those that help themselves.

Makes me wonder how many of them realize that it's not from the bible?

Or how many non-believers are pretty damn sure that ol' Ben was making a subtle joke?
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +848/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
My favorite is those who know I'm a "strong" atheist who state, when I do something good (in their eyes) that, though I may not believe it, that that is Jesus/God working through me, and trying to save my soul.

-Nam

That's also the Christian explanation for good things done by people of other religions than their own. People all over the world behave morally and nicely because their god has written his words on their hearts. Or they secretly do believe in the Christian god and for some reason deny it, even though they are doing his will.

Of course, when non-Christian people do wrong, it is because they have not accepted Jesus. Even though it is the easiest thing in the world to do, supposedly.

And the explanation for Christians doing wrong? Sin nature, Satan, or they are not really Christians even though they say they are and got to church, etc.

Wha---? How can these different viewpoints possibly make sense?

Is their god missing a few brain cells, or what?:?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
"When one door closes, God opens another one"

"You're taking the verse/passage out of context"

"God works in mysterious ways"

Since many here have already stated the above examples, I think we can safely conclude that xtians really don't have much in their arsenal. Just canned replies. 
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Christian - "We cannot expect to know a supreme being like God"

Me - "WHAT?? You've just spent the last hour telling me how much you know about god, how he created the universe, how He loves us, how He answers prayer and even what He f***ing thinks; but when I ask you to explain exactly how 'living outside time' means He doesn't need a designer, suddenly 'we can't be expected to know that?!' But yet YOU seem to know what He had for breakfast??!
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...

-Nam

That's also the Christian explanation for good things done by people of other religions than their own. People all over the world behave morally and nicely because their god has written his words on their hearts. Or they secretly do believe in the Christian god and for some reason deny it, even though they are doing his will.

Of course, when non-Christian people do wrong, it is because they have not accepted Jesus. Even though it is the easiest thing in the world to do, supposedly.

And the explanation for Christians doing wrong? Sin nature, Satan, or they are not really Christians even though they say they are and got to church, etc.

Wha---? How can these different viewpoints possibly make sense?

No, just them.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member

No, just them.

-Nam
[/quote]

Same thing, right?  :laugh:
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +46/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
I'll give some that they told me:

"You need to interpret the texts with divine inspiration."

"You're taking this out of context."

"You need to pray to God so he gives you understanding."

"The Old Testatment is not to be followed. You just need to understand the historic context."

"Prayer didn't work because it's not God's will."

"My [insert close family member] went to heaven even without being a Christian." (then they try to convert you saying you can only be saved through Jesus)

It's very sad that you view these as excuses as opposed to the honest truth.

Plenty of times you guys DO take verses out of context. You guys pounce on anyone who quotes Dawkins by shouting "Out of context!" So, you can understand how we feel.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
Are there any moral absolutes?

Xtian:  "Why yes; it's wrong to kill."

Then how is it that your good, loving & perfect god killed (according to the OT) like it was a contest?

Xtian:  "God can kill because he is just."

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +46/-416
Are there any moral absolutes?

Xtian:  "Why yes; it's wrong to kill."

Then how is it that your good, loving & perfect god killed (according to the OT) like it was a contest?

Xtian:  "God can kill because he is just."

The answer is that the rules don't apply to the rule maker.

If you have children and you tell them to be in bed by 10pm, and they were SCREAMING at you about how unfair it is that you're not going to bed at 10 just like they are, do you think your children are right to complain?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1

We have another candidate for "worst excuse ever".

This guy sets up over 600 rules, then declares that none of it applies towards him.

No wonder his followers don't bother with them.  Even they know that they're bogus.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +46/-416

We have another candidate for "worst excuse ever".

This guy sets up over 600 rules, then declares that none of it applies towards him.

No wonder his followers don't bother with them.  Even they know that they're bogus.

Parents set up rules for their kids. I guess this means kids don't bother with their parents. They all runaway by age 5.

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Parents set up rules for their kids. I guess this means kids don't bother with their parents. They all runaway by age 5.

Shitty analogy.  Parents are also bound by rules.  You said your god is not.  Parents also do not kill their children when they break a rule. (which is something your god is alleged to do.  Repeatedly.)

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
The bedtime analogy is also weak because the parents do eventually go to bed, although at a later hour.  The god of the Bible's hypocritical morality is more like a parent who tells the child not to hurt the dog, but then gives the poor little pooch a kick in the gut.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.

Ohh, i guess that all the makers of the law can go around selling drugs, raping people and nuking countries for fun.

I vote this excuse the best one.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.