Author Topic: I Admire The Atheist  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
Re: I Admire The Atheist
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
but if the baby was killed 5 months prior to that, it's called abortion....

And if society taught her about contraception in school via Sex Ed, because he fundy parents thought that if they didn't teach her about the birds and the bees and simply threatening her that she'd go to hell if she ever had sex, that [that] would be enough... there wouldn't have been a baby to abort either.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
^^ And that would have terminated its future as surely as anything, eh?

Skep, it's not a "baby" until it's born.  Words have meanings.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
They like to "play god" for 98% of thier lives but when it comes to conception it becomes a big "no-no."  :?

Jesus says to worry about nothing. You're supposed to have faith and trust in God. He clothes and feeds the birds and flowers, surely he loves you more that those! Don't worry about anything[1], only God is worthy of such worries, leave everything to him. Tomorrow has enough worries of its own. However, Christians want to be in charge of thier lives: the career they want instead of missioning, what they want to wear instead of relying on God or thier church sponsor, a place where they want to live and raise a family instead of carrying thier cross and following him, etc. The Apostles left thier families, jobs, plans of the future and homes for Jesus.
 1. job, clothes, food, roof overhead

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
but if the baby was killed 5 months prior to that, it's called abortion....

First of all, that dodges the point.  Completely.

Secondly, you think that is some kind of zinger, but it's not.  It is off point an irrelevant.

You are not speaking to us.  You are not engaging us.  It is as if you are performing for people who think like you and use the same pat slogans.  Do you understand that?  you are not communicating or thinking.  you are regurgitating.

Yes, 5 months earlier it would not have had the same functionality in terms of a central nervous system.  It would have been dependent on a woman's body. It would not have been a person. 

We, like most biologists, see the development of a fetus as a sliding scale.  You cannot pinpoint when it is a person.  when it is a just fertilized egg, that is definitely not a person.  I think you would have a very hard time making that case. When it is born... I dunno.  It functions, but not independently, and for at least a month, the lights are on, but no one's home. 

It it like trying to pinpoint exactly what moment the milk is bad. One second earlier it's good, the next, bad.  You cannot do it.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »
We believe the baby will go to Heaven. Can you say with 150% certainty that Heaven does not exist?

I sure can. I can say with 1000% certainty there is no heaven. You can probably say with the same confidence that there is. This is not a subject on which we can compromise. But it doesn't matter what either one of us thinks. What matters is whether or not there is a heaven. Well, it doesn't actually matter, except for the part where you live as if there is one and I don't. That's the part that matters. And when our disagreement makes us enemies, or something less dastardly but similar, it kind of ruins things here on earth.

If there is a god, he knows this and continues to play hide and seek. Which doesn't impress me as much as it impresses you. If there is not a god, the planet is stuck with people who think that there is, and we keep bickering.

Luckily, though we lack solutions, it is the 21st century, so we have the Internet and we get to argue about such things endlessly.

Which, when I'm feeling ornery, is a little like heaven on earth.  &)
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-453
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 01:29:30 AM »
We believe the baby will go to Heaven. Can you say with 150% certainty that Heaven does not exist?

I sure can. I can say with 1000% certainty there is no heaven.
You can probably say with the same confidence that there is. This is not a subject on which we can compromise. But it doesn't matter what either one of us thinks. What matters is whether or not there is a heaven. Well, it doesn't actually matter, except for the part where you live as if there is one and I don't. That's the part that matters. And when our disagreement makes us enemies, or something less dastardly but similar, it kind of ruins things here on earth.

If there is a god, he knows this and continues to play hide and seek. Which doesn't impress me as much as it impresses you. If there is not a god, the planet is stuck with people who think that there is, and we keep bickering.

Luckily, though we lack solutions, it is the 21st century, so we have the Internet and we get to argue about such things endlessly.

You shouldn't be making concrete statements like that.

Surely you must have some kind of evidence that heaven does not exist? Otherwise, there's a problem with atheism.

P1) Atheists only believe in things that are empirically proven
P2) God can not be empirically proven to not exist.
C) Therefore, atheists should not be atheists (from P1) because atheism can't be empirically proven (from P2).
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 01:43:24 AM »

Surely you must have some kind of evidence that heaven does not exist? Otherwise, there's a problem with atheism.

C) Therefore, atheists should not be atheists (from P1) because atheism can't be empirically proven (from P2).

Your god cannot be empirically proven to exist.  That's the key here.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +113/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:37 AM »

Actually the Christian god and the deist god can be proven not to exist. Both of these proofs would be too difficult for you so just be honest and say you don't know the answer.

They are not especially relevant to you and your demon anyway. The demon in your head certainly does exist.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 02:32:33 AM »

P1 is incorrect.  It would be more accurate to say "Atheists tend not to believe in extraordinary claims for which there is no empirical evidence."

The sun coming up in the morning is not an extraordinary claim, so if you said "The sun will come up tomorrow," I'd tend to believe you.

However, if you were to say "The universe was created by a god who ran into a bit of trouble dealing with a Talking Snake™, I'd just start giggling.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 02:40:05 AM »
most of the threads I see on here are atheists basically patting each other on the backs for being atheist.

What's the problem :? Doesn't that make sense?  A lot of atheists are astonishingly clever and entertaining people.  Theists don't have a monopoly on community spirit.  Atheists are not the snarling demons in the stereotype you and your friends love to cook up in your own back slapping platitude exchanging enclaves.

Besides, if you take time to read the threads instead of trying to piss on them like a dog marking territory, you'll find that the atheists on this forum are on the forefront of moral debate, making an effort to think things through for themselves and to learn from others.

You think we are searching for God. No, we are searching for truth, and God is the single most common obstacle we encounter.

Git mit uns

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 03:02:12 AM »
They talk about God sometimes more than believers! :o
Just look at this bustling forum!

They are so close to God, and yet so far away at the same time.

God is right there waiting for you.

If you guys truly didn't believe in God, why talk about Him every day? I believe that deep down, you can feel God's presence. But at the same time, you guys also are skeptical of the presence as being God's.

Hopefully, they will receive their much needed "boost" from the Lord just like I received.

This is why I admire the atheist. They are constantly searching.

So entire websites dedicated to Star Wars must believe Star Wars really exists.

Entire websites dedicated to Star Trek must believe Star Trek Really exists.

Entire websites about Harry Potter must believe Harry Potter really exists.

See where I am going? Just because someone dedicates an entire website to something doesn't mean, deep down, they believe it exists.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
Ever stop to think the powers that be keep your God relevent is because he makes them money...If Zeus,Odin,Thor or the myriad of other gods made money they would still be here today. The minute God stops making money is the minute they introduce a new god.

They do make money, I've seen the movies.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »

I sure can. I can say with 1000% certainty there is no heaven.
You can probably say with the same confidence that there is. This is not a subject on which we can compromise. But it doesn't matter what either one of us thinks. What matters is whether or not there is a heaven. Well, it doesn't actually matter, except for the part where you live as if there is one and I don't. That's the part that matters. And when our disagreement makes us enemies, or something less dastardly but similar, it kind of ruins things here on earth.

Lets see. All claims of the christian god are based on old, old stories. Other cultures, claiming other gods, that you yourself don't believe in, are also old. If you have no trouble not believing in Ra, in Annu or Inanna, in Bugas, in Qadeshtu, then you should have no trouble understanding why I don't believe in your equally unlikely christian god.

Claims of a god do not automatically make the possibility of said god real. Claims of a god, when not backed up with anything but, and listen careful, those claims of that god, do not go any distance whatsoever towards demonstrating even the tiniest possibility that said god is real. If the Kassite deities of ancient Babylon don't seem the least bit possible to you, then the christian god, based on equally wild and invalid stories, should not need to be considered any more real.

If you think that I have to give serious consideration to the existence of your god simply because a bunch of shepherds said he was real a few thousand years ago, then my claim that earthworms are the source of all life and morals and need to be worshipped should get equal respect from you.

I know, that's crazy. Worms can't be gods.

Which is my point exactly.

Whether we look at the ridiculousness of the Eden story, the provably wrong story of the Ark, The ridiculous notion of having half a million people lost in the desert for 40 years, the silly story of JC walking on water or feeding the masses with one loaf and one fish, or his even more fishy death and supposed resurrection, nothing in the bible is consistent with reality.

Do some people need religion? Apparently. But that doesn't make it true. I only indicates that the various failures of society to flourish without stress or conflict, and the propensity of most to join groups, have combined to create an atmosphere ripe for both making up and engendering religions. And those of you that are forced, by your self-required beliefs, to proclaim said religions as real sure get uppity when those of us not so psychologically encumbered point out that maybe it isn't true about your god.

What good is religion supposed to do? Make life better? Well, it doesn't do that. Friends and acquaintances much more religious than I have had far worse life experiences. You god didn't do diddly to protect or otherwise improve the life of the many religious people I've known in my life who died far younger than I will die, since they're already dead and I'm not. At least not yet. And of course I will be, someday, perhaps equally as horribly as my murdered friends or my dead by cancer friends or my squished in car wrecks friends. Others, still alive, have survived heart attacks. I haven't survived a heart attack. I haven't needed to. But I've been an atheist for over 50 years. So apparently not believing hasn't had any particular negative effect on my life, while being a believer hasn't done anything particularly good for many I  have known over the years.

So there is no evidence, no real-life advantage, and nothing but excuses from those who insist neither of those factors is relevant.

Why, if there is no real world advantage to being religious, no proof of any of the myriad gods proposed, no moral or social or monetary or political or marriage or parenting or dietary or sports world advantage to believing in a god, should I bother? Just because old stories are being passed around as real? That's not a reason. That is just an excuse for the gullible and the weak to perpetuate the lies that they believe are real. And I'm not in the mood to play along with them.

I know the answer to this, but you don't. I am a 62 year old man in great shape. My job requires me to climb 32 foot tall ladders and I can do so without huffing and puffing. And I can do it all day long. I have had one minor surgical procedure in my entire life. I don't take any medicines. I get a headache or two a year, and down a couple of aspirin, and that is literally all I take. I've gotten pain pills to take after my surgery and after a pretty serious dog bite and I took only one of them. Because I thought I had to.

My friend George, a lifelong fundy, had a parachute that didn't open right when he was 25 and has been limping ever since. His equally religious sister died in a plane crash, his equally religious father died in a construction accident, he had a heart attack when he was 58, he had to get an MRI today because something else is going wrong and I haven't yet heard what it is. His religious mother lingered for years with Alzheimer;s before she died, he was never able to have children even though he wanted them, he has to swallow about a dozen pills every morning just to stay alive and he's lost at least six good friends to age and disease in the last year alone.

Now I know that this is simply a case where the law of averages makes his life worse than mine. But from a religious perspective, what excuses are you tempted to come up with when you compare my relaxed, healthy life with his? I've had absolutely none of the trauma he has had to endure. Yea, my parents are dead, but of things that kill old people, and without the drama of Alzheimer's or of falling 150 feet and then being crushed by tons of boulders in a landslide like his father. My life hasn't been perfect, but compared to his, it almost has.

Religion has nothing but its stories and its excuses. I'm not attracted to either. And I am sure that neither your christianity or the gods of the Canaanite's are real. That you are a sucker for one of the many god stories means that I have to keep fending off your silly claims and unwanted wishes for a more christian world. I don't need to come up with a few seemingly logical statements to proclaim that you can't prove what I believe but that you can't prove it not true either. I don't need such reassurances.

And by the way, I am open to god being real. And all he has to do is show up at my doorstep or by my side while I'm walking through the woods or visit me in the middle of the night and explain away his incompetence and apologize for his negligence and promise to do better and start fixing the many wrongs in the world and poof, I'll be a christian too. In the meantime, not so much. In fact, not at all.

That'll teach you not to get me started.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 03:12:09 AM »

Your god cannot be empirically proven to exist.  That's the key here.

Your god can't even be empirically suggested to exist.

Offline MM747

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 04:45:32 AM »

If you guys truly didn't believe in God, why talk about Him every day? I believe that deep down, you can feel God's presence. But at the same time, you guys also are skeptical of the presence as being God's.

Hopefully, they will receive their much needed "boost" from the Lord just like I received.

It's confusing to read your posts. You say that you admire atheists for their search. And yet, you make what seems like no attempt to actually win the hearts and minds of those active on this forum.

It feels more like your position is immutable and the purpose of your post is simply to instigate an argument.

Then again, perhaps you do admire the atheist; for exercising the introspection and the self-honesty required to keep searching for an answer, even when the evidence doesn't line up with what they want to believe.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
Marcus Aurelius

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +554/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »

And there is the problem. You think we are talking about a god that you are convinced exists. We are not. we are talking of the concepts of gods and using Yahweh, the Canaanite god of thunder and war as an example.

Atheists have given believers in all sorts of gods 400,000 years to come up with some proof that the believers' concept of a god is more than a concept, that there is, in fact, a god somewhere... anywhere... at any time. Believers have failed.

It is time for believers to stop flogging a dead horse.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 07:51:28 AM »
What have you done to stop those demon followers?
Did you go to Africa? Or did you just post it on atheistic forums and complain about what a shame it is?

Demons eh?

Actually I was fortunate enough to spend a couple years working with farmers in South Africa.  We didn't see any demons, and usually when pigs were sick, it was from worms, not demons, driven out of people, or just wandering demons.   But there are still some witch doctors in that part of southern Africa.

In the video from Kenya, where fundamentalist christians are burning people perceived as witches, which group do you think demons are responsible for?

I'm busy, we can discuss which demons are responsible for the Westboro Baptists and the Taliban later, unless you have time to visit a Muslim website and ask them - but my guess is they are as positive of their beliefs as you are of yours.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
But that makes no sense. Atheists don't sit around talking about how great it is not to collect stamps, or how great it is not to garden.

Yet, they do this with religion. I always found it odd.

If we lived in a nation where 75% of the so-called "adult" population believed in the Easter Bunny; if several million of those people were wealthy and influential, and determined to pass laws based on Easter Bunny-ism that affected everyone, even the non-Easter Bunnyists...

If every other street corner in the nation had a temple for people to meet to worship him, and if radio and television was flooded with people preaching the Good News of the Easter Bunny (free candy, if only you believe!)...

If those temples were given tax exemptions, at the cost of higher taxes for everyone else...

If the minority who lacked belief in the Easter Bunny had to struggle with hiding that lack of belief for fear that disclosing their apostasy would result in their property being vandalized, their families ostracizing them, their careers and even their personal safety put at risk...

If that minority were routinely told to move to another country were non-Easter Bunnyism was welcome...

If custody battles in divorce cases were routinely decided in favor of Easter Bunnyists, with the judge explicitly saying that his decision was because non-Easter Bunnyism was "not in the child's best interests"...

If anyone openly admitting to non-Easter Bunnyism lacked even the smallest chance of being elected to any public office much above the position of dogcatcher...

If those disbelieving in the Easter Bunny were determined in public opinion polls to be almost as untrusted as rapists...

If teenagers admitting to their parents that they were not Easter Bunnyists faced the very real risk of being kicked out of their own homes, even if they had not yet reached the age of majority...

If the well-funded Easter Bunny majority was constantly trying to inject Easter Bunnyism into public education disguised as "science", while simultaneously working just as hard to have real science excluded from the curriculum...

If all that, and far, far more, were true...

...then we'd be spending a lot of time talking about the Easter Bunny as well.

Can you understand why?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »
It is an awesome bustling forum, isn't it!

Say's yet another believer who has absolutely no way of showing this to be true, other than simply saying it.

Right where, exactly?

You are making shit up here, big surprise.  We don't talk about "God" every day as though it might actually exist.  We talk about the topic in order to help people like you shed your delusion.  We try to help people like you understand the harm and damage done by your personal beliefs.  We are not searching for anything but truth.

Your belief is completely wrong.  We do not "feel God's presence at all", which is precisely why we are atheists.  If there were a god, one even remotely similar to what people like you believe, it would not need you, or anyone like you to make it's existence known to everyone, including the most skeptical among us.

No idea what you "received", but I can say with certainty that it was 100% personal, and thus 100% useless to anyone but yourself.  I suppose I should be happy for you?

Indeed, the best thing in your entire post.  We are constantly searching - but not for your "god".  Rather, we are searching for truth - generally.  Although, I can't speak for all atheists.  Perhaps some are truly searching for a god, but I seriously doubt it.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
And what hope is there for the baby that was dumped into the dumpster in an atheistic worldview?

At least in our worldview, the baby will be in Heaven.
Oh goody! Your worldview allows you to gloss over the reality of what you  yourself are trying to present as as support for your position. It ALSO allows you to not bother to do anything to prevent it from happening in the first place.

What you're saying is that your worldview let's you put that baby in heaven. Big fucking deal - I'm a helluva lot more concerned about what led the person to put the baby in the dumpster and trying to fix that.

How dare you even pretend that your position is superior to mine?

Your moral code is disgusting. Your arrogance is misplaced.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »

I must confess.  I do not know how to "empirically" prove that something does not exist.  Perhaps you can help.

Let's start with something simple.  I presume that you do not believe in the existence of leprechaun.  What are the "empirical" proof that they do not exist?

From there, we can go on to things like dragons, Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, and everything else we don't believe in, until we arrive to your god.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
God damnit, not this argument...

If you knew anything about atheists Skeptic, you would know that there is a sizable portion that are agnostic, meaning that they are open to god if given ample evidence (which humorously does not happen...)

Even myself, who is Gnostic is interested in religion, due to its follower's arguments and attempts to rationalize their religion.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »

skeptic, you probably aren't familiar with my post history but I was a follower of Christ for 20 years. And during those years I spoke to God, prayed to him, worshiped him, and when I began to struggle with my faith I desperately pleaded with him to guide me back into his loving arms. The Bible says a person will find God if they are sincere (Jeremiah 29:13). But I received no answer; I received no guidance even though I was 100% sincere. So I turned to the Bible and began reading it for the first time rather than flip to whatever passage my pastor cherry picked for Sunday's lesson. If my faith was cracked from the lack of God's presence, then reading the Bible for the first time was a wedge that was sledgehammered into it. What was written in the Bible was, and still is, the complete opposite of what I would expect from a benevolent and intelligent being: animal sacrifice, an illogical deluge, the butchering of children, blood smeared doors, and the manipulation of human hearts- and that's just the first two chapters. I expected to gain some sort of universal understanding and to feel God's love pour out from the pages. I was left with pigheaded rantings and magical stories from middle eastern men of antiquity.

Some time after struggling with what I had read I no longer considered myself a Christian, but I was still a long way from becoming an atheist. I still believed in a god but it was not the god of the Bible. The deistic god I believed in was still a personal god (he cared about me), but he was just an observer- watching his creation play itself out. Then in 2008 I found this forum. The reasonable arguments I read for over a year aided in me eventually dropping my SPAG and I went from a deist/pantheist to agnostic[1], and since 2010 I've identified as an atheist.

If you guys truly didn't believe in God, why talk about Him every day?

We all have different reasons. I post here because I want people to think more critically about what they believe. You are the reason I post here.

I believe that deep down, you can feel God's presence. But at the same time, you guys also are skeptical of the presence as being God's.

You couldn't be more wrong. One reason I'm an atheist is because I can't feel God's presence, as I've explained above.

Irrational thinking is not a boost.

And this is why I have no admiration for you. Despite your username, you've shut down all skepticism.
 1. I was an atheist but the word is stigmatized so I avoided it
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:33:59 PM by Zankuu »
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »
Quote from: skeptic54768

Did you go to Africa? Or did you just post it on atheistic forums and complain about what a shame it is?
I did go, and I have gone and changed a few things. Can you say the same.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »
I admire the theist. Always telling us the most fallacy-ridden arguments in existence with a straight face, even though, deep down, they know their arguments are BS.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »

I did go, and I have gone and changed a few things. Can you say the same.

Me, too. Spent lots of time in poor countries helping save lives and helping people live better. No god or religion needed--in fact came back even more hard core atheist, and more committed to helping others than ever before.  8)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
When God isn't being a brick wall, how do you tell if it's him or just your sub-consious?

Since you ignored it...

Superstitious bronze age sexist goat herders didn't know what a subconsious was... So, how do you, Skeptical, know if the "inner voice" is God's or just your intuition/subconsious?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-453
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
Since you ignored it...

Superstitious bronze age sexist goat herders didn't know what a subconsious was... So, how do you, Skeptical, know if the "inner voice" is God's or just your intuition/subconsious?

You have that backwards, friend.

People nowadays refer to God with the label "subconscious" because they don't want to admit God is real.

Just like how God healing cancer is labeled "spontaneous remission."
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +601/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »
You have that backwards, friend.

People nowadays refer to God with the label "subconscious" because they don't want to admit God is real.
Ever hear of SPAG?  Self-Projection-As-God?  What it means is that a person's conception of God is based on projecting themselves subconsciously onto the universe.  So you're right that your subconscious is your own personal god.  Without realizing it, you're using your own internal beliefs to give 'God' shape and form, and by extension, whatever else you believe in.  Which is why you can say that there are demons and such in the world.  Because your internal beliefs require there to be demons to oppose your god.

Just like how God healing cancer is labeled "spontaneous remission."
Again, this is what your internal beliefs require to be true.  Not the same thing as what actually is true.

Anything that happens that you don't really understand, you label as God's work (or the work of demons).  The problem is, this doesn't tell us anything, because it's entirely arbitrary - it depends on your subjective beliefs, and thus cannot be proven one way or the other.