Author Topic: I Admire The Atheist  (Read 3643 times)

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I Admire The Atheist
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
They talk about God sometimes more than believers! :o
Just look at this bustling forum!

They are so close to God, and yet so far away at the same time.

God is right there waiting for you.

If you guys truly didn't believe in God, why talk about Him every day? I believe that deep down, you can feel God's presence. But at the same time, you guys also are skeptical of the presence as being God's.

Hopefully, they will receive their much needed "boost" from the Lord just like I received.

This is why I admire the atheist. They are constantly searching.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
Re: I Admire The Atheist
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
Unlike you, who is wedded to what you think is the truth.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that because atheists talk about the Christian god that they can somehow sense his presence.  They talk about the Christian god for the simple reason that many Christians come here to argue with them.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »
Unlike you, who is wedded to what you think is the truth.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that because atheists talk about the Christian god that they can somehow sense his presence.  They talk about the Christian god for the simple reason that many Christians come here to argue with them.

yeah......no that's not it.

most of the threads I see on here are atheists basically patting each other on the backs for being atheist.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »
Atheists discuss God to find out his flaws and if he makes sense.

Theists just accept God is true without thinking.

Christians also talk more about the Devil than God.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Online Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »

most of the threads I see on here are atheists basically patting each other on the backs for being atheist.

And you pat yourself on the back because you think everyone is led by a demon except you. Well I've got news for you. Woof. Woof.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:17:13 PM by Foxy Freedom »
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
Think about how you dismiss the existence of other un-proven gods,like your god,also un-proven  and we can have a real conversation
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:17:32 PM »
And you pat yourself on the back because you think everyone is led by a demon except you. Well I've got news for you.

Tu quoque, again?

Besides, I never said everyone EXCEPT ME is led by a demon. There are plenty of people around who think just like me. I do not have a monopoly on this thinking.

Online Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
And you pat yourself on the back because you think everyone is led by a demon except you. Well I've got news for you.

Tu quoque, again?

Besides, I never said everyone EXCEPT ME is led by a demon. There are plenty of people around who think just like me. I do not have a monopoly on this thinking.

Just because you think others think like you does not make it right. That is no doubt where you got your ideas from in the first place. You do not have a monopoly on a type of demon so what?

You should look up that tu quoque. It has nothing to do with what I am talking about. You are being led astray by your demon in your head.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:35:59 PM by Foxy Freedom »
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
 Ever stop to think the powers that be keep your God relevent is because he makes them money...If Zeus,Odin,Thor or the myriad of other gods made money they would still be here today. The minute God stops making money is the minute they introduce a new god.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
I don't believe there is any type of god, skeptic.  But that isn't important.  How will I really know? What seems important to me is the people below and their belief in God.

As long as you are helping us stop these theists from screwing up society around the world, you can believe whatever you want.   We just take it one step farther in our search for truth.
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »
I don't believe there is any type of god, skeptic.  But that isn't important.  How will I really know? What seems important to me is the people below and their belief in God.

As long as you are helping us stop these theists from screwing up society around the world, you can believe whatever you want.   We just take it one step farther in our search for truth.

What have you done to stop those demon followers?

Did you go to Africa? Or did you just post it on atheistic forums and complain about what a shame it is?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »

If you guys truly didn't believe in God, why talk about Him every day? I believe that deep down, you can feel God's presence. But at the same time, you guys also are skeptical of the presence as being God's.

Hopefully, they will receive their much needed "boost" from the Lord just like I received.

Yet another believer misinterprets atheists. Its only fair. We're wrong about christians a lot. Not wrong about what they believe, but wrong about the specifics of their individual interpretation of religion. It usually takes us awhile to draw out any given christians view on his own religion. It doesn't help that no two are alike. Or at least no two visiting here have ever been alike.

Your "so close to god, but so far away" statement demonstrates your erroneous thinking. My interest in religion hasn't got diddly to do with the god part. There are no gods telling my congressmen how to vote. There are no gods trying to get creationism taught in schools. There are no gods looking at me in distain because I'm not one of "them". There are no gods knocking on my door and asking me to become a believer.

What I am close to is people. By default. There are so darned many of you. Which is fine, except when there is such a basic difference in world views because of the god/no god thing, and people fly airplanes into buildings because of it. Because of such things, those of us with clearer heads feel a need to mention the folly of religious rationalization.

There is no god waiting for me. If there were, I'd notice. Back when I was a mild believer (as a little kid) your god never showed himself. He never mentioned his own existence nor encouraged me to follow JC or to swallow Genesis lock, stock and barrel. Only humans did. And that is what is waiting for me. Other humans. Many of whom feel distain for me because I don't accept the various mind farts that define religion. I'd apologize, but I'm not the one doing anything wrong.

We atheists search for two things. Truth, and ways to stop religion from causing yet more harm to this planet and its inhabitants. Whether coming in the form of Taliban or Tea Partiers, we see the flaws in their non-thinking and experience the pain they inflict on all who are not them. That the two groups hate each other is doubly ironic because other than their dress code, there is so little difference between them that if one of each showed up on this site to argue with us, it would, finally, be an instance of two believers sounding like they agree with each other.

There is no boost to be received. There is only voluntarily accepted delusion. Your god has had over half a century to get my attention, but he hasn't bothered because he doesn't exist. A god who disappeared thousands of years ago and who depends on oft-times crooked leaders to pass on his word is clearly not in control. Which matches up nicely with his not existing. So pretend all you want that we atheists are on the cusp of leading fun-filled bible studies world-wide. Because such a pretense is very consistent with the pretense of religion itself. We expect nothing different from you and the various versions of your ilk. Mainly because we've never gotten any other kind of crap from the religious.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »
People who fly planes into buildings are deceived by demons posing as gods,Skeptics demon saves dogs

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »

Yet another believer misinterprets atheists. Its only fair. We're wrong about christians a lot. Not wrong about what they believe, but wrong about the specifics of their individual interpretation of religion. It usually takes us awhile to draw out any given christians view on his own religion. It doesn't help that no two are alike. Or at least no two visiting here have ever been alike.

Your "so close to god, but so far away" statement demonstrates your erroneous thinking. My interest in religion hasn't got diddly to do with the god part. There are no gods telling my congressmen how to vote. There are no gods trying to get creationism taught in schools. There are no gods looking at me in distain because I'm not one of "them". There are no gods knocking on my door and asking me to become a believer.

What I am close to is people. By default. There are so darned many of you. Which is fine, except when there is such a basic difference in world views because of the god/no god thing, and people fly airplanes into buildings because of it. Because of such things, those of us with clearer heads feel a need to mention the folly of religious rationalization.

There is no god waiting for me. If there were, I'd notice. Back when I was a mild believer (as a little kid) your god never showed himself. He never mentioned his own existence nor encouraged me to follow JC or to swallow Genesis lock, stock and barrel. Only humans did. And that is what is waiting for me. Other humans. Many of whom feel distain for me because I don't accept the various mind farts that define religion. I'd apologize, but I'm not the one doing anything wrong.

We atheists search for two things. Truth, and ways to stop religion from causing yet more harm to this planet and its inhabitants. Whether coming in the form of Taliban or Tea Partiers, we see the flaws in their non-thinking and experience the pain they inflict on all who are not them. That the two groups hate each other is doubly ironic because other than their dress code, there is so little difference between them that if one of each showed up on this site to argue with us, it would, finally, be an instance of two believers sounding like they agree with each other.

There is no boost to be received. There is only voluntarily accepted delusion. Your god has had over half a century to get my attention, but he hasn't bothered because he doesn't exist. A god who disappeared thousands of years ago and who depends on oft-times crooked leaders to pass on his word is clearly not in control. Which matches up nicely with his not existing. So pretend all you want that we atheists are on the cusp of leading fun-filled bible studies world-wide. Because such a pretense is very consistent with the pretense of religion itself. We expect nothing different from you and the various versions of your ilk. Mainly because we've never gotten any other kind of crap from the religious.

Commendable for your well thought out post. But, you have to remember atheists are confusing to believers as well.

You got some atheists who say "Nihilism all the way! it's all meaningless! Kill all you want!" then you got others who say things like, "Love one another!"

Atheists are not consistent either, yet they are still atheist. This doesn't lead you to doubt atheism like it does Christianity. Why is that? Confirmation bias?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
Can you point to a Nihilist atheist who says kill everyone,who cares?. That is a bold statement to make about anybody.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »
Can you point to a Nihilist atheist who says kill everyone,who cares?. That is a bold statement to make about anybody.

Nihilism says that everything is meaningless and there is no such thing as morality.

Therefore, killing someone is the same thing as watching tv with someone.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
Commendable for your well thought out post. But, you have to remember atheists are confusing to believers as well.

You got some atheists who say "Nihilism all the way! it's all meaningless! Kill all you want!" then you got others who say things like, "Love one another!"

Atheists are not consistent either, yet they are still atheist. This doesn't lead you to doubt atheism like it does Christianity. Why is that? Confirmation bias?

That isn't the sort of difference that I was alluding to. If I say I don't believe in god and Nam says he doesn't believe in god, it doesn't matter which version of that god we don't believe in. Nam was at one time a fundy. I've never been through that experience. .

But when christians show up here, it takes us awhile to figure out if they like the liberal version of god, or the fundamental one. Do they go to a church full of snakes, or just one with a lot of poisonous reptiles? The flood, yes or no? Do they speak in tongues, allow their young to dance, eat JC alive every Sunday, have fond memories of spending their 19th and 20th years knocking on doors? And even within any given religion there are still variations. And backstabbings. And disputes over biblical interpretation.

We probably would benefit from having newbie believers on the site answer a basic questionnaire so that we could avoid making erroneous generic assumptions about them. It would keep me from having to take my own default position on believers: that they are biblical literalists and believe the Genesis stories are true. Flood and all. I'm always shocked when a christian says he or she doesn't look at it that way.

I expect people to have differences. In a world with no religion, there would still be plenty. Including nihilists, and hippie chicks who just want us to love each other. Still a pretty big swing, world-view-wise. But they are far easier to deal with than people who feel it is important to baptize the dead or keep "under god" in the pledge of allegiance.

Edit: Sort of fixed some of my bad english.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:30:18 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
I expect people to have differences. In a world with no religion, there would still be plenty. Including nihilists, and hippie chicks who just want us to love each other. Still a pretty big swing, world-view-wise. But they are far easier to deal with than people who feel it is important to baptize the dead or keep "under god" in the pledge of allegiance.

It is easier to deal with nihilistic murderers than people who sprinkle water on others for baptism and people who say "Under God" in the pledge?????

Did your thinking cap explode? Are you pulling our legs, Park? :o :o

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Who are these nihilistic murderers?  You've been asked once, and you deftly evaded having to give an honest answer.  Do you refuse to answer?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
Who are these nihilistic murderers?  You've been asked once, and you deftly evaded having to give an honest answer.  Do you refuse to answer?

Stalin
Pol Pot
Hitler
Columbine Shooters
Batman Shooter
Women who leave their fetuses in a dumpster behind the 7-11
People who kill for fun: http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/police-black-teens-kill-white-man-for-fun/

Like I said, very scary if you don't believe you have a God to answer to.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »

Naturally, when there are no (or few) Christians on this site, they talk about the subject with each other.  Why would they not?  It isn't as if being an atheist means they necessarily share anything except that one point, and it's usually worthwhile to find out what others think.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »

Naturally, when there are no (or few) Christians on this site, they talk about the subject with each other.  Why would they not?  It isn't as if being an atheist means they necessarily share anything except that one point, and it's usually worthwhile to find out what others think.

But that makes no sense. Atheists don't sit around talking about how great it is not to collect stamps, or how great it is not to garden.

Yet, they do this with religion. I always found it odd.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »

It is easier to deal with nihilistic murderers than people who sprinkle water on others for baptism and people who say "Under God" in the pledge?????

Did your thinking cap explode? Are you pulling our legs, Park? :o :o

Stalin
Pol Pot
Hitler
Columbine Shooters
Batman Shooter
Women who leave their fetuses in a dumpster behind the 7-11
People who kill for fun: http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/police-black-teens-kill-white-man-for-fun/

First of all (having just seen your list), when you have to bring up Stalin and Pol Pot to make your religion sound better, you're in desperation mode, even if you don't know it.

And while I've no doubt the Columbine idiots were nihilists, I don't know of any argument for Stalin and Pol Pot being the same thing. They valued their own lives, and they valued those who could keep them in power. They killed to maintain control, not because they were casual murderers. And the women who dump their fetuses are all too often scared, broke and feeling powerless in the face of what sometimes feel like insurmountable problems. I don't excuse their actions in any way, but neither do I excuse the indifference that the religious feel towards such women until the moment that those women make a bad choice. Many religious people are completely against abortion, but they make no efforts to create a social and medical and financial world where such desperation would have a harder time taking hold. The religious against abortion, after all, have an unspoken motto. "We'll get you born, kid. Then you're on your own!" And a mother who feels she has no options and who is totally stressed, emotionally, dumping her newborn in a dumpster, as horrible as that is, is merely continuing the indifference that society has already demonstrated toward her.

I, for one, can't compare a scared teen who thinks her fundy parents will kill her to the Batman shooter, who was clearly mentally out of it.

That you can lump your list together in such a blasé manner simply for the sake of argument doesn't surprise me in the least. But you're wrong to do so. And you are especially wrong to attach the term 'nihilist' to each and every one.

P.S. The patting on the back thing. Hey, we agree with each other a lot. So what. Is the 'kindred spirit' thing that foreign to you? Humans tend to be happy when they find others who aren't out to wash their brains or stink up their social lives. Don't be so surprised.

Added: I was a welfare worker for a number of years and in my position I did my best to make the world of desperate pregnant women good enough to minimize their desperation. The system sucked, but at least it kept some of the poor lost kids from tossing their babies in the trash.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:22:40 PM by ParkingPlaces »

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 10:23:49 PM »
And what hope is there for the baby that was dumped into the dumpster in an atheistic worldview?

At least in our worldview, the baby will be in Heaven.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
And what hope is there for the baby that was dumped into the dumpster in an atheistic worldview?

There is absolutely no hope for the baby in the trash if it dies before it is found. The heaven thing, a fairy-tale level rationalization, makes you feel better. But doesn't do diddly for the kid. The world I envision, the one without religion or other social lies, would care enough about every individual that nobody would be left out in the cold like that; mother or child.

Sadly, I'm not in charge. And so more babies die. As do stoned rape victims in Afghanistan, the sick children of christian extremists who shun doctors, and those who died in Northern Ireland when two sects of christianity couldn't get along. Yes, people die for non-religious reasons too, so if I were in charge I'd work on those problems too. But those who imagine one form of heaven or another as part of their reality somehow manage to use that imaginary comfort to their own advantage while having nothing to offer the actual dead.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »

There is absolutely no hope for the baby in the trash if it dies before it is found. The heaven thing, a fairy-tale level rationalization, makes you feel better. But doesn't do diddly for the kid. The world I envision, the one without religion or other social lies, would care enough about every individual that nobody would be left out in the cold like that; mother or child.

Sadly, I'm not in charge. And so more babies die. As do stoned rape victims in Afghanistan, the sick children of christian extremists who shun doctors, and those who died in Northern Ireland when two sects of christianity couldn't get along. Yes, people die for non-religious reasons too, so if I were in charge I'd work on those problems too. But those who imagine one form of heaven or another as part of their reality somehow manage to use that imaginary comfort to their own advantage while having nothing to offer the actual dead.

We believe the baby will go to Heaven. Can you say with 150% certainty that Heaven does not exist?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »

How wonderful that you can feel good about the death of a baby in a garbage can.  Really speaks to your compassion.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-416
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05:21 PM »

How wonderful that you can feel good about the death of a baby in a garbage can.  Really speaks to your compassion.

but if the baby was killed 5 months prior to that, it's called abortion....

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:07 PM »

If God loves and wants a relationship with me, why must I do all the work? If you want a relationship with a woman, do you go to someone to be the intercessor and for them to tell her that she must: believe in you, love you, trust you, prove herself worthy of your love despite that you love her "unconditionally," go to skeptic fan club every week, despite your "limitless riches" and despite that he's supposed to be under your employ and not hers, yet she must give the intercessor 10% of her income for his wages, and be given a massive book with lots of rules, stories and seemingly inane stuff... or do you just walk up to her and ask her out? Why the round-about way of doing things? It's so inefficient and often ineffectual, as if he doesn't even care if it works or not.

When God isn't being a brick wall, how do you tell if it's him or just your sub-consious?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:22:08 PM by Ivellios »