Author Topic: Interpretation  (Read 268 times)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Interpretation
« on: October 30, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »
I'm involved in a debate with a Young Earth Christian. I'm trying to point out that the bible is not a science book; it cannot be taken literally. I've pointed out that in;
Genesis 2:17 - "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Adam and Eve did not die in the day, but died years after. Christians say it means 'Spiritually' die.
Isaiah 40:22 - "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.." - 'Circle' is not a sphere. God did not say the earth was spherical, he said 'circular'.

With many of these verses, Christians say they can 'interpret' the bible, in my view ignoring Revelations 22:18 about not changing one word of the Bible.

So, I've ended up with putting this scenario to the Christian;

Christian is at the Pearly Gates. God appears and asks some questions;
"HOW DID I DESCRIBE THE EARTH IN ISAIAH 40:22?
WHAT IS A CIRCLE?
DID I ADD THE WORD 'SPIRITUALLY' TO GENESIS 2:17?"

No answer yet, but I'm intrigued to hear the reply.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Interpretation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:02:55 AM »
"Ron, the real issue is what YOU would say to God when...."

Bah! I give up!
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
"Ron, the real issue is what YOU would say to God when...."

Hey god, where the fuck have you been hiding? And, why wont you heal amputees?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:54 AM »

I don't think you get anywhere playing word games with them. They are too well indoctrinated to counter all the weak points.

Go with all the goodies:

God created the sun on day 4, and there is water above the sun.
God got scared by some people who built a brick tower
Rainbows didn't exist prior to God's promise
Noah could curse Ham, because he did Satanic Voodoo

Point out the schizophrenia between Elohim and Yahweh, and the way the OT was constructed.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

Job wanted to go to sheol, to escape God, because hell hadn't been invented when they wrote Job. When they did invent hell, in 1 Enoch, they deleted the book, because it was crap that said the sun and winds came out of a box.

The KJV selectively translates hell or sheol or grave, depending on what they are lying about.
Jesus claims to be Lucifer in Rev 22:16
Augustine and Origen thought that people who believed things in Genesis were retards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegorical_interpretations_of_Genesis#Days_of_creation

The NT consistently mistranslates Aeonian as eternal.

Exodus offers a money back guarantee for pedophiles    http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/slavery/ex21_07a.html
There is no law in the OT that says a married man can't rape a divorced or widowed woman (AFAIK)

Matt 5:19 says that Paul will go to hell.

The first half of Leviticus says that God likes to hang around in the temple and sniff burning animals.
John never heard of "Love thy neighbour"

... can anyone think of some more golden oldies?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:50:52 AM by Add Homonym »
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »
Like them! Was the brick tower the Babel story? I've not used that one yet as far as god being scared of the construction, but I did point out the nonsense of the languages; i.e. European languages are geographically close, so share much structure, for example English can be traced by to a form of German / Dutch. French to Latin etc, and all European languages influencing each other.
What they don't share is a commonality with Japanese, as the languages evolved separately.

This argument got nowhere with a Young Earther; - "They were all totally separate when god separated them, but over the years people began joining them together again."

Idiot.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
[3] And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
[4] And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
[5] And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
[6] And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
[7] Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

Their game plan was to reach heaven, where the Gods(plural) lived. Yahweh came down to look, and found that the insects represented a threat to the Gods, so to stop them invading heaven, all the gods went down and acted as a plague upon man.

In verse 7, where it says "Go to" in the KJV text, the Hebrew says "grant attention you", as Yahweh calls to the audience, apparently... unless he is calling to the other Gods. The humans do it, too, in verse 4, so they are talking to the audience as well. Maybe they are talking to themselves, and God talks to himself as well. In verse 3, they are definitely talking to each other, so I guess if the Bible did not want us to think that Gods were plural, they shouldn't have used "us" in verse 7.

Babel means Bab-El, gate to the Gods.

This is interesting: a Christian re-interprets it to mean something opposite
http://www.emergingtruths.com/tower_of_babel/tower_of_babel.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:57:47 AM by Add Homonym »
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
How about those pesky chariots of iron in Judges 1:19?  Apparently, they were too much for YHWH...

http://www.devilshighlighter.com/scripture/god-cannot-defeat-iron-chariots
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan