Author Topic: are American xians paranoid?  (Read 624 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
are American xians paranoid?
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/are-american-christians-paranoid/

Eighty percent of Americans consider themselves Christians—but today many of them consider themselves a persecuted remnant. Is it mere paranoia? Remember, even the paranoid have enemies.

An Anti-Defamation League poll in 2005 found that 64 percent of Americans believed religion was under attack in the U.S. It was 75 percent among Christians who attend church regularly...
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: are American xians paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Just another neocon convinced Obama is the destroyer of civilization. He cherry-picks and keeps coming back to Obamacare.

From the article:
Or consider former Yale dean and classics scholar Donald Kagan. He recently complained to the Wall Street Journal’s Matthew Kaminski that democracy seems to have run its course in America and the West as the morality that has sustained them has atrophied. What morality? While the “Romans had no qualms about quashing their enemies, big or small” and the U.S. had relentlessly won two world wars “and imposed and protected the current global order, the recent record shows failed or inconclusive engagements.” The problem is that “We’re a certain kind of culture which makes it hard for us to behave rationally when the rational thing is to be tough.” The culture that makes this difficult is “unsubtle Christianity” and its strong strain of pacifism. “Who else has a religion filled with the notion ‘turn the other cheek’? Who ever heard of such a thing? If you’re going to turn the other cheek, go home. Give up the ball.” Today such sentiments about Christianity run in the country’s leading newspapers and pass without any notice at all.

Seriously? Christianity is despised in the US because of "its strong strain of pacifism"? And since when did "such sentiments about Christianity run in the country's leading newspapers" without Faux Noise and similar venues screaming to the empty heavens?

It would be laughable if so many weren't buying into such obviously empty platitudes.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
I heard all the time about how "the world" will persecute you in my church-goin-theistic days of yore.  I always quietly wondered how said world persecuted me but amen, halelujah and pass the Welch's.  Now that I'm no longer in the club, I get a little persecution lite - from those love-filled jeezus strokers who are afraid to be unequally yoked to a baby roasting pagan. 
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:36:16 PM »
In a scale of 1 to 10...Christians are an 11.  They have to be persecuted in order to please their god.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »
In a scale of 1 to 10...Christians are an 11.  They have to be persecuted in order to please their god.

Otherwise they're excluded from the reindeer games.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:07:27 AM »
I heard all the time about how "the world" will persecute you in my church-goin-theistic days of yore.  I always quietly wondered how said world persecuted me but amen, halelujah and pass the Welch's.  Now that I'm no longer in the club, I get a little persecution lite - from those love-filled jeezus strokers who are afraid to be unequally yoked to a baby roasting pagan.
Indeed. It was the church preaching that you will be persecuted... by who? "The world."  I remember those sermons, but I never did feel under attack, as a matter of fact I recall asking who would persecute us. I dont think its as much paranoia as it is part of the delusion.

LOL @ Christianity being under attack. I wish this was the case though. Sign me up for the good fight.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:07:23 AM »
What they really need is some people writing about how Christians are being marginalized.  That would be more accurate in my opinion. But even then, it's not like the majority of Christians care about the topics.  They dress up on sunday, head to church, then off to the movies, or Costco, and life goes on.

We need to marginalize outdated beliefs and morals.  I know that won't happen anytime soon, but I like the idea...

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
Christians are also marginalizing themselves. You can only talk the talk without walking the walk for just so long. Fawning over the wonder of Jesus' love for all of us and then ragging on everyone from commie pinko democrats to gays in the next breath does not a wise approach to life make.

And locking on the past, both biblically and politically (the constitution), and bending the rules on both of them whenever convenient doesn't help. I know that the latter isn't limited to christians, but they ain't helping.

The past was useful then. It is informative now, but not necessarily the best way to run things. And learning from the past is much more useful if one doesn't run around customizing it to mean something it doesn't. So yea, they're getting a bit more marginalized. But it is as much their fault as it is the fault of everyone else's rationality.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
Does the pope shit in the woods?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
Does the pope shit in the woods?

No. He shits in a gold-plated toilet, with platinum toilet paper. Or, so I hear.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
The basis of Christianity is the fear of God and the fear of Satan. Christianity is fundamentally paranoia.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.