Author Topic: Banned?  (Read 339 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Banned?
« on: October 29, 2013, 02:22:29 AM »
I'm currently watching a movie, that when I was a child, was banned in my household by my father. We weren't allowed to watch it as long as we lived in that house--we did anyway.

My father banned 2 films, and one book from the house. The two films were:

Silence of the Lambs and Lord of the Flies.

The book:

Lord of the Flies.

Why? I have no idea on Silence of the Lambs; perhaps it was the cannibalism or the ending, I don't know. I mean we saw much more violent and/or horrific movies than that. He had no problem with A Clockwork Orange but Silence of the Lambs, that was just too far.

Lord of the Flies is because he read the book as a child and he didn't care for the apparent cannibalistic part of "piggy". If that's in the book, I don't know, never read it.

I guess since he's not into cannibalism than no child of his would be exposed to it, or something.

When he found out the lead singer of Queen was gay he almost banned that but I told him the lead singer of REM (my favorite group since 1992) was also gay he seemed to step back. His views has become more liberal since then.

How about any of you?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: Banned?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:32:16 AM »
Like the Sea Captain from The Simpsons said, in our house "Twas only PG. Nothing....rrrrrrrr"
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:34:45 AM »

The book:

Lord of the Flies.

How bizarre. I think my English teacher showed us the movie Lord of The Flies (1963) when I was in 8th grade. I don't recall any controversy about it at all. The only thing I have remembered from the movie was the meaning of the conch. A couple of students in the class read the book, but I never have.

The Silence of The Lambs is a classic thriller. Even Hitchcock would admire it.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »
I don't remember anything being banned in my household.  My parents thrived on controversy, and enjoyed dissecting content that offended them or that they disagreed with.

I do remember that my mother was a big concerned when I started reading Ayn Rand my first year in college.  She quizzed me on the content and my interpretation of the "morals" contained in the work.   I followed up my intro to objectivism with a study of the concept of altruism, the role of scarcity in economic systems, and soon became enamored of Peter Kropotkin and my whole life changed. 

Mom was satisfied. 

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
My father had 'views' on books and films but he never went so far as to ban any of them. I remember his being annoyed by the book "Lady Chatterley's Lover" that came to prominence in the UK in the early 60s when it was the subject of an obscenity trial. His comment was "Why would anyone want to read that muck!" but that was probably influenced by his never having read it but having read the reaction of the conservative press.

The trail concluded that the book was not obscene and this opened up the liberalisation of the British media.

I never bothered reading it until quite recently: it's typical D.H.Lawrence, somewhat morbid and mundane but well-written.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
My parents outlawed The Simpsons in our house. I think they saw the show as too liberal and would skew our righteous conservative upbringing.   Other than that they were pretty okay with most media as long as it was age appropriate.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
Nam, something must have been gnawing at your dad to make him act that way... :)

I plowed through books as a kid - whatever I could get at the library and my parents never banned or censored anything (despite being Southern Baptists).  Although, when the teen novel "Forever" by Judy Blume made a splash my mom said, "You've never read that trash have you?"  Frankly, I never had and had no intention of reading "teen" novels, since I read only "real" books... :)  Besides, once you've read Ken Follett, Stephen King, James Thurber, Dean Koontz, P.J. O'Rourke, and a host of other fun goodies while your friends were playing Atari and Rubik's cube - you've pretty much gone over to the dark side anyway.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
Nam, something must have been gnawing at your dad to make him act that way... :)

;D ;D ;D
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
My mom considered the tv show "Dallas" to be too smutty, so I never watched it. By the time I was old enough  (had enough freedom of movement) to watch it elsewhere it wasn't on the air anymore. I have no idea what she objected to, or if it was in any way valid.

She just did stuff like that sometimes, which really is kind of odd now that I think about it.....

Sometimes the crazy you grow up with is so familiar it doesn't seem all that crazy until something happens to remind you of it. That's pretty much the story of my childhood.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
I spent a lot of time at my uncle's house in my younger years, and his kids could not watch "Bewitched."  He was a pastor and for some reason he was convinced that show was from the devil.  Scooby Doo was a-ok, but that show was evil...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »

The book:

Lord of the Flies.

How bizarre. I think my English teacher showed us the movie Lord of The Flies (1963) when I was in 8th grade. I don't recall any controversy about it at all. The only thing I have remembered from the movie was the meaning of the conch. A couple of students in the class read the book, but I never have.

The Silence of The Lambs is a classic thriller. Even Hitchcock would admire it.

The remake with Balthazar Getty was more of the one banned.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »
I spent a lot of time at my uncle's house in my younger years, and his kids could not watch "Bewitched."  He was a pastor and for some reason he was convinced that show was from the devil.  Scooby Doo was a-ok, but that show was evil...

A talking dog wasn't the devil?

-Nam

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Noooo... talking snakes are the devil!

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
I've never heard of a cannibalistic overtone to Lord of the Flies.  I love that book.  It's one of the classics that I've actually read, and genuinely like (that and To Kill A Mockingbird jump out at me as my fav classics)

about the only thing that was banned from my childhood was D&D.  So naturally I went out of my way to play it as much as I could, without getting caught (and I never did).  It's funny, my dad was a classic RC hypocrite.  He's the one who bought me my first books.  Then, when he discovered they were satanic, he banned the game for me.  Then, he'd occasionally buy me nice pewter figures "because they looked good for your game" then he'd turn around and remind me it was banned.

I shoulda got myself a conch as a preteen...
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »
I had the D&D toys, as a kid. Never played the game. I figured if Risk put me to sleep, it would too.

-Nam